Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2013, 12:50 PM   #616
HappyCRNA
AllTalkNoAction

Oddometer: 1,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048 View Post
While you are all enjoying your solo ride I'm getting tired of doing my rides solo. I guess after 40 years of being solo most of the time I'm ready to share adventures with someone.

Enjoy those solo times because they are special and enjoy your time with those you love because those times are special too.

Happy riding ! ! !

Well shoot Ladybug! I wish you were closer... I'm always looking for something to get into!
HappyCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:17 PM   #617
NEredhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Quote:
While you are all enjoying your solo ride I'm getting tired of doing my rides solo. I guess after 40 years of being solo most of the time I'm ready to share adventures with someone.

Enjoy those solo times because they are special and enjoy your time with those you love because those times are special too.

Happy riding ! ! !

I've done plenty of rides solo but never anything like I am planning now. The only reason I am doing it solo is because I am not dating anyone right now. It will be a good experience for me to do a bigger trip like this. I just enjoy sharing the memories with someone afterwards, not to mention the massages after a long day's ride.

Everybody keeps telling me to think of all the interesting people I'll meet. Knowing my luck, I'll end up lost and in a little backwards town with scenes from the movie Deliverance flashing in my head.

Isn't that what ADVentures are for, though?!? The stories we tell after the ride!
NEredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:20 PM   #618
Cuttle
me? what?

Oddometer: 9,872
well, I do my solo rides because I am married - he does ride, but riding is "me time" for both of us (even before we "hitched")

But yes, going by yourself lets you meet way more people - enjoy!
Old 06-12-2013, 02:31 PM   #619
Tyler
Miss Demeanor

Oddometer: 307
Quote:
Both solo and small group rides each have their pros (and cons sometimes). I'll actually be doing a 2-week trip next month in OR/WA. I can send you some info if you might be interested in joining for a day or two.

Dangerous Curves
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:31 PM   #620
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 795
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuttle View Post
well, I do my solo rides because I am married - he does ride, but riding is "me time" for both of us (even before we "hitched")

But yes, going by yourself lets you meet way more people - enjoy!
Same here, every once in a while my husband will go on a long ride with me but there can be years in-between such rides. Our interests are different, he loves to go slow and look at the geology while I tend to ride faster and stop for thing like an Anistazi dig instead of geology. Last trip together after riding through Moab, Capital Reef, Escalante, Bryce Canyon and Zion when he wanted to go back through other parts of Zion the day after we had arrived there I told him to go ahead, I was canyoned out. Instead I was going to the hanging water gardens and do some hiking. Though both of us were ready to push the speed limits between Vegas and my brother's house outside San Diego. Something about that 114f heat had both of wanting to make time as quickly as possible. He also does dirt which I don't and have no desire to do.
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:35 PM   #621
Tyler
Miss Demeanor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEredhead View Post
Any suggestions/thoughts for a woman traveling solo?
Consider getting a SPOT tracker... you can share the link with your family/friends so they can follow along with you and ease some of the worry. Also good for emergencies if you need help, etc.

Dangerous Curves
Old 06-12-2013, 03:43 PM   #622
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCRNA View Post
Well shoot Ladybug! I wish you were closer... I'm always looking for something to get into!
Where's Moran Nation located? You never know where I'll end up at some point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
Both solo and small group rides each have their pros (and cons sometimes). I'll actually be doing a 2-week trip next month in OR/WA. I can send you some info if you might be interested in joining for a day or two.
Please do send me the info. if I could connect with you even just to meet you and share a meal or riding a few miles down the road would be lots of fun.

Quote:
Consider getting a SPOT tracker... you can share the link with your family/friends so they can follow along with you and ease some of the worry. Also good for emergencies if you need help, etc.
I agree about the SPOT. I've been carrying one for a number of years and it's nice to have it. Have a dependable friend/family member that knows how you ride and your habits monitor it. Something that would be off for one person would be normal for someone else so someone your habids would keep someone from being concerned. For instance the last ride out I took the person watching my SPOT wasn't concerned when I was out in the middle of no where on a mountain top. Someone else that doesn't know my riding habits might have been worried that I was lost.

It's all fun and there are tons of adventures out there to be had.

Looking forward to reading about your adventure.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 04:00 PM   #623
Tyler
Miss Demeanor

Quote:
Please do send me the info. if I could connect with you even just to meet you and share a meal or riding a few miles down the road would be lots of fun.
Email sent!

Dangerous Curves
Old 06-12-2013, 04:05 PM   #624
NEredhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Quote:
I have thought of looking into those, but isn't there an additional charge per year for them after the purchase price?

And to be honest, I truly don't know who I would have monitor it. In my case, where I have no family locally, etc., it might be easier to just check in with someone periodically when I stop for fuel.

I had the opportunity to meet up today with an ADV inmate who is riding back/forth across the US. What a nice guy and so many stories he has to tell. He is on his way back to NY now. He should have been doing a ride report as he's has some very interesting adventures so far.
NEredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 04:26 PM   #625
Tyler
Miss Demeanor

Yes there is an annual fee for the service that goes along with the SPOT... can't remember off the top of my head but I think it's about $100/yr. which, imo, is small change if you ever got into trouble.

The thing about checking in with someone is what happens when you don't check in? How does that person know where to look for you? They may have a general idea but with the SPOT, it pinpoints a more exact location so if you need help, you're more likely to get it in a faster manner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEredhead View Post
I have thought of looking into those, but isn't there an additional charge per year for them after the purchase price?

And to be honest, I truly don't know who I would have monitor it. In my case, where I have no family locally, etc., it might be easier to just check in with someone periodically when I stop for fuel.

I had the opportunity to meet up today with an ADV inmate who is riding back/forth across the US. What a nice guy and so many stories he has to tell. He is on his way back to NY now. He should have been doing a ride report as he's has some very interesting adventures so far.
I'm hoping to do that next year... 6 weeks total but may break it up into two 3-week parts.

Dangerous Curves
Old 06-12-2013, 04:34 PM   #626
AnyDay
Wants more time off

Oddometer: 238
Quote:
Consider getting a SPOT tracker...
Totally agree with SPOT. One of the buttons on mine is programmed for my person to dispatch AMA roadside assistance to my location (they'll need your member #). This way if I break down and have no cell service, I'll get help that is reliable (vs someone pulling over to 'help' and wasting time).

Or if my phone dies and I need to call '911'.
AnyDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:42 PM   #627
Cuttle
me? what?

Oddometer: 9,872
a big +1 for the SPOT!!!!
Old 06-13-2013, 12:34 PM   #628
HappyCRNA
AllTalkNoAction

Quote:
Where's Moran Nation located? You never know where I'll end up at some point.

Ladybug, I'm over in western KY, about 3mi from the IL line. Always have room if you're in the area!
Old 07-02-2013, 06:06 PM   #629
bykergrrl
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Greetings - new ADV member

New to ADV. I've been riding a while. Lucky to live in California where my bikes are my regular commute/travel/errand/fun vehicles. Currently working in northern California mostly back and forth between Sonoma County and Crescent City.
Is anyone on this thread in the area?
bykergrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:19 PM   #630
HappyCRNA
AllTalkNoAction

Quote:
Originally Posted by bykergrrl View Post
New to ADV. I've been riding a while. Lucky to live in California where my bikes are my regular commute/travel/errand/fun vehicles. Currently working in northern California mostly back and forth between Sonoma County and Crescent City.
Is anyone on this thread in the area?
Welcome! Wish I were closer to there, but I'm stuck in the heartland for now!