User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2013, 01:44 PM   #1
Steve Hunt OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Do you know the best riding in WA?

So if you lived in WA area where would you tell 5 guys from the Southeast to ride in WA for 4-5 days. We will be picking up 650 V Stroms in Portland and want to ride a WA loop ending up in Washugal at the Motocross race. We have all day from the crack of dawn on Wednesday until being in Washugal midday Sunday. Some offroad is fine and wanted as long as we dont destroy the rental bikes. anything you can offer as must do is fine, you dont have to create the whole loop , just your thoughts on must do sections is fine I can piece it together as needed.

Thanks

Steve
Steve Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 04:15 PM   #2
blankthought
n00b

Oddometer: 2
The Olympic loop. Portland up i5 to 101 at Oly. follow 101 around through Aberdeen to Astoria, then to Washugal. lots of sweet things to see along the way. You should to have enough time for the ride. I'm close the Oly area and rode 101 a few times. The peninsula takes two days comfortably and with sight seeing. Can be done in a day, a very long day.
blankthought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 04:18 PM   #3
blankthought
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Forgot to mention lots of great forest service roads up there so an up-to-date map would be wise.
blankthought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:01 PM   #4
GrizzLee
RubiKon Adventures

Oddometer: 480
Read a bit here (in this forum) about my 4 day loop: Washington, Oregon Coast, Redwoods, Volcanoes, and then back to the Columbia River.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=891283

Or check my blog...

http://rubikonadventures.blogspot.com/

Or my YouTube channel for more PacNW ideas.
http://www.youtube.com/user/RubiKonAdventures/videos

Have fun... Lots to see and do here.
RR: Destination Nuxalk Nation
RR: Our Life Behind Bars

GrizzLee screwed with this post 06-09-2013 at 08:26 PM
GrizzLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:01 PM   #5
Phipsd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 396
A ride to Mt Baker is fantastic. There is great backroad riding in the Mt St Helens area and Hwy 20 through the Cascades to Winthrop is an amazing ride this time of year.
Phipsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:03 AM   #6
Davidovich650
KLR-ista

Oddometer: 245
Best riding in Wa? I've done some damn good riding in Wa. With the time you have and the bikes you have, I created a little loop for you. Rough estimate is about 1200 miles. Broken up into four and a half days, that's not too bad. There's plenty of gravel options, but it'd burn up more time. (Do a search on the WABDR, from Twisp to the Columbia for more gravel).
The following is primarily paved.
** means I highly recommend.

From Portland:
West to Astoria.
North on Hwy 101.
Loop the Olympic Peninsula to Port Townsend:
Aberdeen, Forks, Port Angeles...
Spend a night at Lake Quinault Lodge if you've got money.
Camp at Kalaloch if you bring camping gear. **
"Quick" side trip up to Hurricane Ridge outside of Port Angeles if time permits. ** Nice campground just past the park entrance.
Watch for the popo - they're lookin to give you a coupon along 101.
Take the ferry to Whidbey Island, Keystone.
North on 20 over Deception Pass onto Fidalgo Island.
E on 20 to Burlington.
E on 20 over N. Cascades.
I once heard US-20 is considered one of the 10 most beautiful motorways in the world.
E on 20 to Winthrop.
Winthrop is a ride destination. Western theme. Hotels/motels, restaurants.
Popo lurking in Winthrop too. More coupons.
S to Twisp.
S on 153/97 to Chelan.
S to Wenatchee.
W on US-2 to 97.
You may want to continue a little further west to Leavenworth. Some like it, some don't. It's a Bavarian village themed tourist town. Fun for a short visit, maybe overnight if the timing works out, then back E to SR-97.
S on 97 over Blewitt Pass
Alternate over old Blewitt Pass. Paved, but one lane and poorly maintained. **
S on 97 to Ellensburg.
S on SR-821 thru Black Canyon/ Yakima River. **
S to Yakima
W on SR-12.
Veer NW on SR-410 over Chinook Pass. **
S on SR-123.
W into Mt Rainier National Park on Stevens Cyn Rd.
Stevens Cyn Rd climbing up through Box canyon to Paradise. **
Make reservations to stay at the Inn at Paradise. Dinner in the dining room. Get there early enough to take a short hike up above Paradise. **
Or campgrounds at Ohanapecosh or Cougar Rock in Mt Rainier NP if you can't get reservations at Paradise. Longmire just ain't the same.
W on Paradise rd descending out of the park to Skate Creek Rd/ FR-52 (just E of Ashford).
Stop at the Copper Creek Inn, just outside of the west side entrance of the park, and have a slice of blackberry pie for me. **
S on Skate Creek Rd/FR-52 to Packwood. **
W on 12 to Randle.
S on 131 / FR-25 into the Gifford Pinchot Nat'l Forest.
Side trip up FR-99 to Windy Ridge, Mt St Helens. **
Back to 131 / FR-25.
FR-30 to Carson on the Columbia River.
W on 14 back to Washougal.

Bring rain gear, and camera, ride safe, take pictures, give us a good ride report.

Dave.

Davidovich650 screwed with this post 06-10-2013 at 01:32 PM
Davidovich650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:10 PM   #7
mroddis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
^^ Wow Dave, what an awesome itinerary. I just might have to borrow it and do the trip from Vancouver south....

It's what I love about this forum!

M.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:03 PM   #8
Gramp-Z
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 777
Let me add , bring a little cold weather gear . Even though its June , when you get up in elevation or along the coast it can get chilly . And I second good rain gear ! Could you extend the ride to maybe 2 months ? Then you could get in a tiny amount of the different kinds of riding . Have a blast and look out for wildlife (animals and drunks) . Happy trails !
Old Man plays with his Wee
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=608068
Gramp-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:33 PM   #9
Bogfarth
MOTGATT on a Yamahog

Oddometer: 167
Touring the Pacific Northwest by Motorcycle - Motorcycle Roads Northwest

Old 06-10-2013, 06:42 PM   #10
Michaelfish
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
Be ready to get wet!

Wow! Dave's got you hooked up. We did the "Highline" a few years ago from Sedro- Woolly to Kalispell and it was great! We're headed to Seattle in 2 days ourselves for daughter in law's graduation at UW. Gotta go in the cage though.

Ridgecrest, Kahliffoanya
Michaelfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:55 AM   #11
Steve Hunt OP
Adventurer

HOLY COW! what a great response. I havent had a chance to check the forum for 3 days and BOOM look what I get. I'm at work so I will digest all this tonight but for now....thanks a million. I'm so in need of a get away adventure, cant wait to get to Portland.

Steve
Old 06-12-2013, 04:04 PM   #12
N-Id-Jim
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 541
David gave you the "West-side Story" ha ha

We got the goods, however over here on the east "dry" side.. he he he..

First off you should order two map books from benchmark maps.. they have a website.. get OR and WA this investment will pay you back many times over on your trip....

Central to East OR, then up to East Wa... the roads and lack of traffic will blow you away. No comparison.. On the west side you will always have traffic and peeps.

Checkout these towns in OR:Maupin, Grass Valley, Shaniko, Fossil, Mitchel, Spray, Heppner, Ukiah, long Creek, Unity, Enterprise, Joseph.. You can make an insanely fun loop de loop ride around these parts.. all paved, all bitchin

Check out Hell's canyon!

Out of Enterprise, Head up the rattlesnake to WA toward Anatone, Asotin, Clarkston, Palouse, Soap lake, Grand coulee, go up Hwy 21 to Republick, then over HWY 21.... or do it the other way, or both!

I have written up a lot of these roads in day trippin' in and out of the rednek Republik.

Have a great trip, Cheers
N-Id-Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 04:19 PM   #13
Steve Hunt OP
Adventurer

Fantastic, this is just fantastic. planning a route in a area that you have zipo knowledge of is quite the challenge and you have just saved me endless hours and no doubt put us on a better route at the same time. i can only repay you with a equally awesome tour in the N GA moutains if you ever need it....think Deals Gap for 200 miles rather than the measly 11 miles on 129.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidovich650 View Post
Best riding in Wa? I've done some damn good riding in Wa. With the time you have and the bikes you have, I created a little loop for you. Rough estimate is about 1200 miles. Broken up into four and a half days, that's not too bad. There's plenty of gravel options, but it'd burn up more time. (Do a search on the WABDR, from Twisp to the Columbia for more gravel).
The following is primarily paved.
** means I highly recommend.

From Portland:
West to Astoria.
North on Hwy 101.
Loop the Olympic Peninsula to Port Townsend:
Aberdeen, Forks, Port Angeles...
Spend a night at Lake Quinault Lodge if you've got money.
Camp at Kalaloch if you bring camping gear. **
"Quick" side trip up to Hurricane Ridge outside of Port Angeles if time permits. ** Nice campground just past the park entrance.
Watch for the popo - they're lookin to give you a coupon along 101.
Take the ferry to Whidbey Island, Keystone.
North on 20 over Deception Pass onto Fidalgo Island.
E on 20 to Burlington.
E on 20 over N. Cascades.
I once heard US-20 is considered one of the 10 most beautiful motorways in the world.
E on 20 to Winthrop.
Winthrop is a ride destination. Western theme. Hotels/motels, restaurants.
Popo lurking in Winthrop too. More coupons.
S to Twisp.
S on 153/97 to Chelan.
S to Wenatchee.
W on US-2 to 97.
You may want to continue a little further west to Leavenworth. Some like it, some don't. It's a Bavarian village themed tourist town. Fun for a short visit, maybe overnight if the timing works out, then back E to SR-97.
S on 97 over Blewitt Pass
Alternate over old Blewitt Pass. Paved, but one lane and poorly maintained. **
S on 97 to Ellensburg.
S on SR-821 thru Black Canyon/ Yakima River. **
S to Yakima
W on SR-12.
Veer NW on SR-410 over Chinook Pass. **
S on SR-123.
W into Mt Rainier National Park on Stevens Cyn Rd.
Stevens Cyn Rd climbing up through Box canyon to Paradise. **
Make reservations to stay at the Inn at Paradise. Dinner in the dining room. Get there early enough to take a short hike up above Paradise. **
Or campgrounds at Ohanapecosh or Cougar Rock in Mt Rainier NP if you can't get reservations at Paradise. Longmire just ain't the same.
W on Paradise rd descending out of the park to Skate Creek Rd/ FR-52 (just E of Ashford).
Stop at the Copper Creek Inn, just outside of the west side entrance of the park, and have a slice of blackberry pie for me. **
S on Skate Creek Rd/FR-52 to Packwood. **
W on 12 to Randle.
S on 131 / FR-25 into the Gifford Pinchot Nat'l Forest.
Side trip up FR-99 to Windy Ridge, Mt St Helens. **
Back to 131 / FR-25.
FR-30 to Carson on the Columbia River.
W on 14 back to Washougal.

Bring rain gear, and camera, ride safe, take pictures, give us a good ride report.

Dave.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:41 PM   #14
Steve Hunt OP
Adventurer

I wasn't totally clear in my first post. We fly in on July 16th so we have a month, hopefully we will get good weather by then but none the less we are also renting full Olympia gear from the place we are getting the 650 VStroms. Northwest Moto Adventures. I do have some rain gear in addition.

We already have communicators. i may buy a Garmin Montana for the trip...what the hell.
Old 08-01-2013, 03:30 PM   #15
Steve Hunt OP
Adventurer

I'm back.

Well, I'm back. it was a awesome trip. We mainly road Dave's route with some additional stuff i came up with. I cant thank you enough for the help. Old Blewitt Pass road was freakin awesome. I could have run back and forth on it 3 or 4 times. We also found a old grown over double track off of it that we took for a little off road action. We came across a couple of bicyclist that had been traveling for months when we got back on Old Blewitt, talked to them a little bit and took off again. If I lived near there I would be tempted to clean up the road a little bit and stage my own version of the Pikes Peak race. Equally fun was Skate Creek road into Packwood, that was serious good fun too. i enjoyed the bumpyness of it hauling ass....the bumps were not so bad to ruin it but enough to just make it feel like you were surely going 100mph. Luckily we didnt see any elk till we got to Packwood otherwise we may have been a little more cautious. If you make this run plan to end your day at the end of SkateCreek road in Packwood at the Packwood hotel. Very cool place. appears that a old lady runs it herself, looks like she has maybe 10 rooms and the set up is a couple of common bathrooms at the end of the hall. nice wrap around porch and a downstairs living room for hanging out. Super cheap and clean. My room had bunk beds so i split it with a buddy and my cost was like $20. The whole loop was great, i could go on but don't live it through me, just go ride it. oh yeah we ended the trip at the AMA Motocross at Washugal.