Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2013, 09:40 AM   #406
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailah View Post
When and if it breaks we can revisit backyard milling techniques but I'm fairly sure it's plenty strong in its current state.

Your kickstand design is plenty strong, the tab you're bolting it to is gonna bend with the bolt in single shear. You could add a mount to the other side of the kickstand, but it doesn't look like you have enough heel room there, that's why I suggested a slot down the center of the stand...they used to make bikes like that and the tab would bend, then break off.

The tab is pretty beefy too, might just be a bolt bender/breaker?
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:26 AM   #407
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,209

First time hearing it. Def not a wallflower with that shorty can on it. I'm getting a slight bog which I'm chocking up to a loose TPS and the air intake temp sensor not being hooked up. Sounds like a V twin

I'm going to the bar and drinking for the rest of the day

Nessmuk
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:55 AM   #408
JimmyTheHog
Low Speed Adventurer

Oddometer: 705
Very nice! Sounds great too.

09 R12GSA, 2013 SC3 Adventure
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=657449
http://www.carduccidualsport.com
JimmyTheHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:28 PM   #409
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Got some wiring done today. I was having a tough time with fitting the harness in between the shock and the frame so I took the ENTIRE harness apart down to the wires. It had the standard factory rubber sealing tape, some cloth adhesive fabric and gummy electrical tape everywhere.

Now I am not a wiring guy, but I have been enjoying doing this part of the project as it's an opportunity to learn a new skill. I soldered a lot of connections on this bike but I was careful to make sure the solder joints were done right, heat shrinked, and landed in a place in the loom not subject to a hard bend.

Here are some random shots of the wiring before

I decided to move some components around as directly under the tank was hot real estate for everything else. I moved the fuse block up forward and decided to pare the harness down and make it less bulky by reducing the length of wires. Here you can see where I pulled wires across the front of the throttle bodies. This eliminated the wires running in the unwrapped bundle you see on the left. Mini zip ties hold everything in place until I wrap it.

I used a couple different techniques I picked up. One is I put down the electrical tape and picked up some self fusing harness tape. This stuff is pricey ($12/roll) but it is nice. It seals to itself and allows the wires to flex. You know when you wrap the wires tight in electrical tape the whole bundle gets really stiff, the self fusing tape doesn't do that. Plus no sticky residue on everything.

Then I would sheath the sealed bundle in polyester wrap sleeving. This stuff is nice and really feels like it would help a lot with chafe. I know it took tin snips to cut it. It expands to wrap around stuff. I cut it to length and then used electrical tape to make the ends finished and to hold them in place.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-ca...eeving/=n2z3qh

I'm still working on becoming better at this stuff, I want to figure out a good way to tie it off so that it is secure on the bike.

Any suggestions, I'm all ears

Nessmuk
Old 06-11-2013, 03:10 PM   #410
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Finished the wiring and got the bike as close to finished as I can.

I redid the seat, ditching that epoxied crapjob I did in favor of some aluminum that I shaped with a teardrop and a sandbag. Looks much nicer. I'm going to foam it up tomorrow and hopefully get it covered with suede. After that it's waiting on the controls from Motion Pro (over a month BTW...) and I should be ready for a test ride.

Everything isn't finalized, but enough where I can certainly go for a ride just to see how it feels. I am planning on riding to Maine on Friday, which would be a 1500 mile trip. As much as I am hopeful I could take this bike the trip is sorta business and I can't risk a major problem.

Bike feels great, sounds great, can't wait to finally get some covering on that seat, should help finish it off.

Sitting and standing are very comfortable, much more so than any of my other bikes.

I think I will take a break form working on the bikes for awhile after I get this bike roadworthy. It's been a pretty steady stream of projects ever since the FZ1, the YZ450/CR500, Trail 90s, CBR600 and now this bike. Want time to enjoy the motley collection and have fun riding. Too many days have been sacrificed to work in the shop. Then again I can always be tempted if anyone has any good ideas...

Nessmuk
Old 06-11-2013, 03:22 PM   #411
4play
Next?

Oddometer: 2,268
Looks good!
Old 06-11-2013, 03:54 PM   #412
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,600
Looking real good

Hats off to you again Pete for your tenacity, skills and vision...top notch

BTW....that front tire needs some air
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 04:32 PM   #413
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Looking real good

Hats off to you again Pete for your tenacity, skills and vision...top notch

BTW....that front tire needs some air
yeah yeah. Want to meet up in NH this weekend? I'll buy lunch...

Nessmuk
Old 06-11-2013, 11:22 PM   #414
Te Hopo
AKA Deanohit

Oddometer: 623
Quote:
I think I will take a break form working on the bikes for awhile after I get this bike roadworthy. It's been a pretty steady stream of projects ever since the FZ1, the YZ450/CR500, Trail 90s, CBR600 and now this bike. Want time to enjoy the motley collection and have fun riding. Too many days have been sacrificed to work in the shop. Then again I can always be tempted if anyone has any good ideas...
Fair enough, you have an awesome collection of bikes begging to be used.

Of course we also now look forward to the ride reports and your thoughts on how each bike is performing.

My XT225 Build
Te Hopo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:23 AM   #415
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,330
Excellent Pete!

Let us know how she rides. Is the fork angle much more flat than a KTM ADV or am I seeing things?
Old 06-12-2013, 04:54 AM   #416
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Te Hopo View Post
Fair enough, you have an awesome collection of bikes begging to be used.

Of course we also now look forward to the ride reports and your thoughts on how each bike is performing.

Well, the CBR is a pile of crap, that bike was doomed from the start. Probably scrap it and salvage the parts from it.

The trail 90 I haven't ridden in 5 years. Probably going to be a gift to me dad

The YZ frame was stolen out of my driveway, along with the skidplates from my FJ cruiser so I can't comment. I sold off most of the parts, but still have the bottom end to the CR500 engine

The FZ1 runs just as well as it did the day I got it running and took it to the Eastern Rendezvous. I have 20k ish (speedo broke) on that bike and love it. It's just too heavy for any real dirt work. Fast as hell, very smooth, reliable, fun in the corners. All around great bike, I'll never get rid of it, it was my first build. I'm riding it this weekend on a fast 1500 mile trip.

I suspect the Ninja will be less of what the FZ1 is in every category. Less fast, less weight, less exciting, less smooth. But, better in the light dirt, better MPG, better suspension. Which is exactly why I built it.

Nessmuk
Old 06-12-2013, 04:56 AM   #417
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
Excellent Pete!

Let us know how she rides. Is the fork angle much more flat than a KTM ADV or am I seeing things?
Will do Lukas.

I suspect you are seeing a combo of a few things. I set the rake at the angle of a super enduro, the forks are all the way down in the clamps and there is some stiction in there. I wanted more high speed stability, I think I'll get it I hope it's not a pain in the ass.

I'll have a GoPro on for the first ride and will record what happens good or bad...

Nessmuk
Old 06-12-2013, 10:03 AM   #418
PhiSig1071
What's ******width?

Oddometer: 1,884
Quote:
Well, the CBR is a pile of crap, that bike was doomed from the start. Probably scrap it and salvage the parts from it.
What's wrong with the CBR?

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:14 PM   #419
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiSig1071 View Post
What's wrong with the CBR?
Nothing other than every single thing about it bugs me fabrication wise. I kept trying to build it out of scrap bin components then toss on a $2000 sumo setup.

Building cheaply like that has consequences. like the decision to base the entire subframe/tank on a YZ450 seat I had laying around. You ever sat on one of those for more than 5 minutes? Exactly. Bike is essentially unrideable for any distance. It's so far gone though it's basically worth more in parts. I do have a sumo setup on it so it could be a wicked track bike.

Got the seat done today. I'm not in any danger of putting Renazco out of business but I thought I did a decent job.

I started out by ditching the original seat pan I made from epoxy and used another stock seat pan with aluminum riveted to the plastic and shaped on a sandbag. I had to modify the stock pan in a few places and then I cut the stock foam way way down. Just enough to fill in the plastic voids.

Then I covered the pan with 1/4 closed cell foam, forget the density but fairly stiff. Then I started filling in voids using 8# rebond foam 1" thick. The piece that's on there is just to fill the dish in the pan. The other piece will be the main foam. Gluing all together with Super 77 spray adhesive.

After a rough shaping. I did this shaping on a large vertical bandsaw which works awesome.

Skipped a couple steps, but basically I shaved the rebond foam a bunch of times. I'd cut too deep then have to glue on some more and shape that. Did that about 3-4 times. Not that bad really. Once I had the rebond shaped just the way I wanted, I used some more 1/4" closed cell I used as the base layer on top of the rebond. On top of that I used 3/8" open cell squishy foam. Then 1/8" neoprene to waterproof the foam. The some black suede. Staped most of it and used pop rivets for the aluminum section. I ran out of rivets so the front isn't done. But close enough to show pics.

It's really comfortable, firm but still has some give. The most comfortable seats I have sat on are all firm, the squishy coach cushion seats are terrible on long rides. Anyways it came out better than I expected, can't wait to try it.

I really need to fix that tank up, it's wrecking the whole look

Nessmuk

sailah screwed with this post 06-12-2013 at 06:20 PM
Old 06-12-2013, 07:26 PM   #420
OaklandStrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,612
I was not aware that they moved the textiles area into the welding shop.

Nice work, and it really shows what kinds of things you can do at TechShop.
OaklandStrom is offline   Reply With Quote