Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2013, 04:49 AM   #16
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundAndDown View Post
Near Lexington now, Yup it was too late!.... Only did 150 miles today due to some heavy rain and intense fog on the bro. Heading to new river gorge tomorrow
Local TV weather lady said we got almost 3 inches of rain from yesterday's storm and they expect another 2 inches or so today. I hope you and you're GF are having fun anyway! Good news is, it's mostly going to be East of the Blue Ridge, you should be OK at New River Gorge. The storm is supposed to be gone from our area by late tonight with glorious weather Saturday through Wednesday.

If you're tired of the weather, I can suggest a great B&B in Fayetteville, run by a tiny lady named Pat. Her place is just ~2 blocks from the center of town, excellent prices, fantastic food, WAY better than the local chain hotel and actually cheaper (generally my experience with B&B's):

The County Seat B&B
306 West Maple Ave.
Fayetteville, WV 25840
304-574-0823

The B&B is located less than two blocks from a fantastic pizza/beer joint and 2.5 blocks from a seafood restaurant (yes, in the mountains of central WV) that serves the best cajun food I've ever had (and I've spent time in New Orleans, better than anything I had there). Might be just the trick after a couple soggy days in a tent . My girlfriend (wife now ) and I have stayed there several times and really enjoyed it.

Doug

manfromthestix screwed with this post 06-07-2013 at 01:40 PM
manfromthestix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:27 PM   #17
EastBoundAndDown OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 549
We made it home tonight. 740pm. 1466 miles. Writeup and pictures this week.

KTM200, GS500E, Concours 1000
EastBoundAndDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:16 PM   #18
EastBoundAndDown OP
Studly Adventurer

Day 1

We left wednesday, at 8am from Bullville NY. 55 degrees and beautiful out. We had a plan to get to harpers ferry WV, and then go a bit further south before camping.

We took RT 209 into PA, and then hit 443 into Harrisburg. This prvoed to be a good route, especially 443.

Stopped at a harley dealer on 209, to check out some expensive shiny bikes

I have a cracked right side saddlebag, that I fixed before the trip with some epoxy. Sure enough, it cracked again on 443 and almost fell off. 1 bungie strap ought to do it!

I had a GPS mounted to my windshield. I accidentally tweaked it near harrisburg, and it bounced onto my triple clamp, tank, and off of my thigh much faster than I could safely grab it, so it shattered on the ground at 60mph - I kept trucking, who needs electronics?

Passed through Gettysburg, but didnt stop. Wanted to make good time...

In maryland, stopped off at a pizzeria. We spotted a mullet and a picture was the immediate priority.

Had me a glove tan going!

Harpers Ferry, IIRC

Made it to Berryville VA, about 7pm. Setup camp at watermelon park. The ground was HARD...

However, the beer was COLD

365 miles for us on day 1. The longest motorcycle ride for my girlfriend by about 200 miles, but she didnt bat an eye. No interstates today, lots of good smooth roads.

Tomorrow the rain came...

Old 06-12-2013, 06:45 AM   #19
ricochetrider
a certain something

Oddometer: 1,699
443 is one of my fave local roads. Pretty sweet from 61 to its terminus at the Susquehanna, just above Harrisburg. FYI, for future reference-
Port Clinton is just a wee bit south of 443 & 61 in PA- Port Clinton Hotel is great, with good food and LARGE portions. DO NOT under any circumstances, order two orders of french fries- one will feed four!

Sounds like you had a groove on, too bad cuz the Millersburg Ferry was just a little off course for you. I admit it's not the side trip if you're trying to make time, tho it is worthwhile at some point, if you're ever down this way and just F'in around.

Lookin forward to more on this ride! Good for your GF for hangin in there and enjoying the ride (SO FAR )
ricochetrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:20 PM   #20
EastBoundAndDown OP
Studly Adventurer

Day 2

Day 2 was the day we were to run 340 south to the BRP, and run 177 miles of the BRP, to land in meadows of dan. I happen to like Willville campground.

We departed Berryville around 9am. We hit light rain on 340 and it was cloudy, but the weather report was bad. There was a coastal tropical storm, and we were going to get rained on.

We saw a rainbow, but it sure wasnt becuase of the sun!

We got onto the BRP and there was so much fog it was unbelieveable. I didnt even stop to take a photo of the entrance sign, it was raining awfully hard. I put my flashers on and did about 30mph, as there was no visibility. I knew that cold and rainy would put a damper on the trip for Abby moreso than myself. I decided to pull off the parkway, and pack it in at a motel.

I did stop to get a picture at a scenic overlook, though!

Although when getting back on the bike, my rain pants ripped. Abby had herself a good laugh

We made it to a days in next to I-81 in Raphine VA. We were glad to change into dry clothes. We watched the rain from inside, and got burgers from the nearby Wendys. We walked so as to not sit back down on my wet seat!

149 miles

Next up is WV. Better weather, and a huge arch bridge!