User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2013, 08:52 PM   #1
BCC OP
I know better

Oddometer: 7,925
Kayaks

I sail on the Chesapeake and on days there's not much wind or when we're gunkholing, we want kayaks to explore and exercise.

SO just bought an Eddyline Skylark and being me, I'll probably buy something too sporty for my current meager skill level.

I'm fit, 6'3"/202lbs and if I'm rational, I'm thinking plastic 14-17 foot transitional kayak, but could be talked into anything in a $1000-$2300 price range.

Going to lash them to either the lifelines or foredeck of the sailboat and use them a lot, I figure.

Folks here into these things?

I love all things water and I'm excited about adding a new way to be afloat and active.

Cherish the memories------Ken OBSC
BCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:36 PM   #2
JamesG
Rabid Poster

Oddometer: 10,946
Did you search the forum for "kayak"?
Old 06-10-2013, 10:44 PM   #3
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,791
16-18 ft

22 inch cockpit

Skeg not a rudder

Want one of these, am headed east to Gettysburg area in a couple of days. I'll haul it that far for $150.

http://www.chequamegonadventurecompa...st&order=price

These are good boats, I have seen them and bought one not shown, not new but all solid.

Bill

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:10 AM   #4
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,810
If you ever get down my way stop by this showroom: www.clcboats.com

I can carry my 17' kayak in one hand. It might weigh 35 pounds. Once you get used to hauling one of these around you never want to deal with plastic again.

This one is very light, very narrow, very stiff and very fast. It isn't one you want to gunk hole in, they have others for that, but it is a fun work out.

Grreatdog screwed with this post 06-11-2013 at 06:17 AM
Grreatdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 12:28 PM   #5
rudi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Looks like a Cape Charles. Nice fast, light boat. I built 3. I also hate epoxy.
rudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:49 AM   #6
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

I can't remember what it is called. It was the first plans they sold back when that shop first went into business. These days their precut kits are the way to go. They go together with a lot less work and a lot less epoxy.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:18 AM   #7
BCC OP
I know better

I appreciate all the advice and comments.

Grreatdog, that is a thing of beauty!

I have neither the skills or the time to build a kit. I travel for work a ton. And my hobbies take up my spare time.

Since I'm going to be lashing the kayak to a 41 foot sailboat I'm thinking light plastic is the way to go.

Right now I'm considering either an Eddyline 14' or 15.5' from a local shop in Rock Hall Md. Going to look at them this weekend.

Old 06-13-2013, 06:04 AM   #8
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 30,993
Our local kayak dealer has an open house and test day every spring. Its great to get to test out a bunch of boats all in one place. See if you can find something like that where you are. It makes picking a boat a lot easier.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:04 AM   #9
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

That Journey 15.5 looks like a nice boat. It is surprisingly light weight for a plastic boat. To me, longer is better. So, given the light weight of those boats, I would go 15.5 if you have room to store it.

I really like that Shasta 16 on their web site. For Chesapeake Bay combination fishing, cruising, gear hauling and dog hauling I dig open kayaks like my old open top Wilderness Systems Pamilico.

That Eddyline undercuts the weight of a Wilderness Systems Pamlico like mine by over 20 pounds. That really is impressive. I could carry more pooch - and beer.

Old 06-13-2013, 04:24 PM   #10
Meter Man
Living on a prayer

Oddometer: 7,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog View Post
I can't remember what it is called. It was the first plans they sold back when that shop first went into business. These days their precut kits are the way to go. They go together with a lot less work and a lot less epoxy.
Pygmy does the pre-cut kits
Meter Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 01:22 PM   #11
BCC OP
I know better

Quote:
That Journey 15.5 looks like a nice boat. It is surprisingly light weight for a plastic boat. To me, longer is better. So, given the light weight of those boats, I would go 15.5 if you have room to store it.

I really like that Shasta 16 on their web site. For Chesapeake Bay combination fishing, cruising, gear hauling and dog hauling I dig open kayaks like my old open top Wilderness Systems Pamilico.

That Eddyline undercuts the weight of a Wilderness Systems Pamlico like mine by over 20 pounds. That really is impressive. I could carry more pooch - and beer.

So, I took your advice between the two boats and bought the 15.5 foot Eddyline Journey.

I got it from Chester River Kayak Adventures in Rock Hall, Md. I mention this, because I was really happy with the service the owner and his wife gave me.

I demo'd both boats and he offered lots of advice. We talked bicycles and other sports and he watched me paddle. He thought the longer kayak was better suited to my liking moving along at a fair clip in most things. After choosing the Journey, he delivered in down to my boat. Great price. Friendly service.

I've spent the last 2.5 hours paddling. This thing will move. And with the drop skreg half down, tracks easily. I think I'll be happy with my choice.

No lower body exercise of course and not that much cardio, but I don't mind. It was fun, relaxing and i can certainly feel i worked my shoulders and arms.

I'm off for a run in a few minutes. Then probably nap time.

Going on a bigger paddle tomorrow.

Old 06-14-2013, 05:29 PM   #12
tony the tiger
yeah - what he said...

Oddometer: 9,677
Cool2

I picked up a Riot Edge last year and love it... Hope you get lots of use from your new time.
tony the tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:45 PM   #13
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

If you like kayaks you still owe yourself a visit to Chesapeake Light Craft should you ever find your way down here. Drop me a pm and I will meet you in Ego Alley or the Weems Creek anchorage and haul you over there. If you are a sail boater, don't blame me if you leave with an Eastport pram in tow.

Grreatdog screwed with this post 06-14-2013 at 07:50 PM
Grreatdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 11:58 PM   #14
Cumminsman76
befuddled

Oddometer: 8,479
To bad we don't live closer. I'd build you the kayak if you bought the stuff. I've always wanted to build one.

Save $5 on Smugmug "1alkVgTNLEuyQ"
Cumminsman76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:21 AM   #15
Sam Buca
a.k.a. Daniel

Oddometer: 2,896
Quote:

SNIP

It might weigh 35 pounds. Once you get used to hauling one of these around you never want to deal with plastic again.

SNIP
Never a truer statement made. I wonder how many people had been discouraged with kayaking by going the cheaper plastic route and then realizing how heavy these things are and how that impacts performance.

We started with Necky Looksha 17' each weighing about 65#. The schlepp to get them on the car's roof top and then carry them down to the water just became too arduous and we used them less and less.

I then came across a Epic 16x weighing about 40#. That I can put on the roof top by myself. Performance is far superior and all in all just a much better experience. I also bought an Epic GPX (12') and this also out performs the longer Necky plastic boats.

The end result was that I spent twice what I needed to spend by listening to the sales people where I bought the Necky's, but now I have these two high performing (still stable) composite boats.

I am now looking at the Epic V6 which is a hybrid surf-ski/touring kayak. It is sit on top like a surf ski, but has some carrying capacity in a hatch. It has the same hull as the 16x. Not good for expeditions, but I am past the stage in my life where I want to climb Mt Everest.

Sam Buca is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: