Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2013, 11:50 AM   #76
HPMGuy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ras Thurlo View Post
any sense of ETA?

also do you do risers for these triples? If so what lengths/costs?

thx
No, I do not make the risers. But BRP makes quite a selection of standard risers in different heights, or a SUB mount to use with the Scotts Stabilizer.
HPMGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:38 PM   #77
mendoje
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
I'm in for an original spec stem and nut.

hardwaregrrl and ontic have several posts on this issue, starting about here:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...676340&page=56 I believe Jenna even went so far as to have a steel stem produced, but likely the orginal spec tall nut may be all that's needed.

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPMGuy View Post
It has also come to my attention that there might be an issue with the KTM stem or more likely the stem nut. Last buy from KTM, they had discontinued the original nut and washer assembly that had considerably more purchase into the stem threads and replaced it with an all-in-one nut/washer that is much shorter. I would be happy to produce the stem/nut in house to the original tall nut-specs if this will resolve this problem. It might even be quicker as I am running into the same no-commitment delivery on the stems as last time. Or maybe this is a non-issue/one time thing? Hopefully someone who knows more about it can give some input.
Old 06-09-2013, 06:39 PM   #78
Cdubs
made for adventure

Oddometer: 115
I as well am in for the original tall nut if you can make it happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mendoje View Post
I'm in for an original spec stem and nut.

hardwaregrrl and ontic have several posts on this issue, starting about here:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...676340&page=56 I believe Jenna even went so far as to have a steel stem produced, but likely the orginal spec tall nut may be all that's needed.

Jeff
Cdubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:30 AM   #79
andyfrizzle
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Long/tall nuts for me.
andyfrizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:19 AM   #80
HPMGuy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The "new" KTM bolt has 12mm of thread length, a "new" KTM stem will accept a maximum of 15mm threads, which adds only 3mm/.125". I'm doubtful that this is enough to make a difference.

I could make the stem and nut out of 7075, which should add considerable strength to the assembly....but is it necessary? Let me know what you all would prefer...I would need to cancel the order for the KTM parts.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:34 AM   #81
ezbalagan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
The "new" KTM bolt has 12mm of thread length, a "new" KTM stem will accept a maximum of 15mm threads, which adds only 3mm/.125". I'm doubtful that this is enough to make a difference.

I could make the stem and nut out of 7075, which should add considerable strength to the assembly....but is it necessary? Let me know what you all would prefer...I would need to cancel the order for the KTM parts.

are the clamps ready yet?
Can you supply only the clamps?
ezbalagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:16 PM   #82
Cdubs
made for adventure

Guy,

This sounds good. Do you advise adding more threading and length on the nut?

I would suggest you pick material as you would probably know best. I have no idea and trust your expertise.

Cheers

-C

Quote:

Old 06-10-2013, 02:43 PM   #83
HPMGuy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I read up on the stem issue on the other thread. It looks like the old nut from KTM had 20mm of threads and then used a ~3mm washer leaving ~17mm of engagement. The replacement nut has 12mm of thread height but only 8mm of engagement because of the wide thread relief at the bottom. Either one is fine for a KTM, but apparently the different bearing taper of the BMW bearings requires significantly more torque than the KTM stem/nut were designed to take.

I don't know if this is really a huge problem, as I could only find one instance of it happening. Never-the-less, it seems like a good idea to address the issue at this time. I have cancelled the order for the KTM stems and have placed an order for 7075 stock to machine them from scratch. I will maximize the thread engagement on both the nut and the stem.

Since the parts are being machined from scratch, maybe it would be a good idea to copy the thread pitch of the BMW stem bolt so torque values would remain the same for the BMW bearings? This might eliminate some confusion regarding setup. Does anyone know offhand what the thread pitch is on the BMW P/N 31 42 1457859 "Screw" used on the '87-'91 R100GS?
Old 06-11-2013, 01:57 PM   #84
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,946
Hey all!!! My main issue, and it took me quite a long time to realize it....but my top bearing would never fully seat in the race without an awful lot of force on the little alum. bolt from KTM. I had it turned down, and apparantly it still was not enough, and grenaded the stem threads in the process...... I had another triple lying around that I pressed the stem out of. I had access to a lathe, by the myford was too small for the stem, and none of the chucks would fit it. I began thinking that I'm a bone head, and need a steel stem. My friend Terry is a machinist and works in a rather extensive shop at UGA. I left him with the stem along with a bearing, and asked it be turned down for a press fit. He also exteneded the threads in the stem to except a 50mm bolt.! I apologize for not letting Guy know, I really thought it was me and didn't see a reason to bother him with it. I now realize I may be the only one that has actually ridden extensivley with the 2nd gen set up. I'm sure mine was an anomoly, but perhaps the stems need to be turned down a hair more. Mine was at 28.04mm....I think I had Terry turn it down just under 28...27.98 IIRC.

I never produced the steel stem as I only had 2 interested parties, and I don't have the cash right now. But they still can be made.

photo A9752D09-E686-4235-BB77-9862CADFC7E0-7626-00000DBF338766FD_zps3c3f8427.jpg

photo A9CEA70A-810D-43E1-A61A-4356A874FB86-4370-000007FE155EA15A_zps91f4b765.jpg

photo 98A6419C-9864-48FD-9A86-AF46B82A299F-189-00000008FE8981DF_zpsd4c4e9c8.jpg

photo BBCA61A6-11AF-4EFD-9CE8-9CC0D9676DC5-189-00000008E42AB07C_zps33f33dc8.jpg
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 02:52 PM   #85
Cdubs
made for adventure

Thanks for chiming in! Hopefully Guy know what to do moving forward
Old 06-12-2013, 12:01 PM   #86
Clay Spinner
Woodfire or Bust

Oddometer: 581
Guy, i am happy to pay a bit more for a better setup and use as much of the thread as possible. Athough similar to what has already been mentioned, i have no idea about these things so will go with your best judgment. Also did you manage to find out what the pitch is or should i find someone with that part to measure for us?
Clay Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 03:35 PM   #87
Cdubs
made for adventure

Posted a thread to figure out the thread pitch etc. We got one reply so far.

The thread size is 28mm x 1.5mm.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=894921
Old 06-13-2013, 09:41 AM   #88
HPMGuy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for the info Jenna!

Thanks C-Dub for the info on the nut as well. The KTM bolt uses the same pitch, though smaller diameter. I have decided to stick with the KTM size/pitch for uniformity, but add length similar to the original version. This way those that have the previous set of triples can use the upgraded nut as well.

Now for the bearing/stem fit....does anyone have a stem bearing set they can send me? I would like to verify some dimensions to see if any changes are necessary as Jenna suggests.

Quote:
Guy, i am happy to pay a bit more for a better setup and use as much of the thread as possible.
Thanks Clay Spinner, I think we'll be OK with the original pricing. The only difference might be the bolt as it was pretty reasonable through KTM.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:01 PM   #89
Cdubs
made for adventure

I'll have mine apart soon, I can't take the bearing off of the bottom of the stem though. What parts exactly do you need?

Quote:
Thanks for the info Jenna!

Thanks C-Dub for the info on the nut as well. The KTM bolt uses the same pitch, though smaller diameter. I have decided to stick with the KTM size/pitch for uniformity, but add length similar to the original version. This way those that have the previous set of triples can use the upgraded nut as well.

Now for the bearing/stem fit....does anyone have a stem bearing set they can send me? I would like to verify some dimensions to see if any changes are necessary as Jenna suggests.

Thanks Clay Spinner, I think we'll be OK with the original pricing. The only difference might be the bolt as it was pretty reasonable through KTM.

Cdubs screwed with this post 06-14-2013 at 06:19 PM
Old 06-27-2013, 09:54 AM   #90
ezbalagan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Question

any news
ezbalagan is offline   Reply With Quote