User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-13-2013, 12:28 PM   #4
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 735
I've read the other thread, and your comments.

"...I realized that it was quite a steep drop...and long too. I remember thinking, can I ride back up this thing? By then, it was too late, I was committed to going to the bottom and trying my luck from there..."

That right there is the only reason I'm posting. I wouldn't have committed. I actually would have stopped there on the top, and walked down to decide. Why buy trouble needlessly? This doesn't mean I don't get in jams. But why get into one that you could see coming? I'll ride a trail I can't turn around on, but only if I know I can turn around up ahead.

I'm old enough to remember when we didn't have cell phones and SPOT and the like. Technology is a wonderfull thing, but it does bring its own problems. Today, many are comparatively fearless and thoughtless about adventuring forth ill prepared, because they have confidence in their ability to call AAA and have themselves rescued.

Many folk are in serious trouble if their bike/car/boat quits running. In part because of the complexity of modern machines, but also because they don't know how to do it, and aren't carrying the equipment or tools. Why bother when you've got a cell phone and a AAA card? Same for their own bodies. When was the last time you saw a blanket in the trunk of a car?

In a nut shell, I think the old Boy Scout moto says it best, and briefest. Be Prepared.

P.S. (because I couldn't figure out a good way to include it above) You had a heck of a time with that situation after you got into at the bottom in no small measure because of the size of the bike you were on. So did the guy in the other thread. Think of how much easier it would have been for either of you with something like an 80 cc bike. You can almost pick up and carry a bike of that size. Sure, it's not as fast or as cool as a big bike is. But for serious outback exploration, littler and lighter is often times a better choice than bigger and heavier.
foxtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote