Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2013, 12:04 PM   #1
Ladybug0048 OP
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,385
Riding, Geocaching and Exploring . . . .

A friend suggested I do an on-going ride report about my rides looking for geocaches so here we go. To get started you can read about a recent cache ride I wrote a report about and posted it in regionals: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=888316

From the Geocaching website: ďGeocaching is a free real-world outdoor treasure hunt. Players try to locate hidden containers, called geocaches, using a smartphone or GPS and then share their experiences online. There are 2,103,324 active geocaches and over 5 million geocachers worldwide.Ē

If you want to learn more and see where geocaches are located visit the website: http://www.geocaching.com/

There are many reasons people geocache. Some like the challenge of seeing how many they can find. Some like to get out with family/friends with a goal in mind. Others enjoy figuring out the real tough ones. For me I like to see where Iíll end up while Iím looking for caches. Many caches are at viewpoints, historical places, and take me to many very interesting places I otherwise wouldnít know about.

If you havenít followed one of my ride reports before you will find I get distracted easily, babble endlessly and often share thoughts and memories as I tell you about my ride. Please join me as I cache my way around the wonderful countryside this world has to offer.

Last week I was burned out with work and decided I needed to take a ride so I took off a couple days and went looking for an adventure.

Common for me I planned a route that was a bit ambitious but I decided to head out and see what I ended up actually doing. Along with an ambitious route I had 47 caches loaded into my GPS which is way more than I would have time to look for but they were there in case I wanted to look for them.

This is basically the route I thought I might do:

Each color would be a different day and where I thought I would be stopping for the night - - - - maybe.

This is closer to the route I actually did:

The weather wasnít cooperating and when I got off work Wednesday and it was raining so I decided to wait until Thursday morning to leave rather than the original plan of heading out after work. During the night I was glad I delayed since one heck of a storm came through. I figured maybe that would get it out of its system and it would be all clear ahead.

Thursday 5/30/13
I pulled the loaded Superbug out of the garage and I was on my way but only after waiting for it to warm up a bit so it was a late start. The roads were still wet in places but the sky was fairly clear, the air was fresh and I was looking forward to the ride ahead.

Heading south on hwy 27 I spotted this old school up on a hill in Latah, WA. I havenít noticed the building before and suspect some trees had been cut which opened things up making the school visible from the highway. I had to go take a closer look.

The grounds were manicured beautifully and I wondered if the school was being worked on to be a museum. I parked, got off the bike, walked over and checked out the bell. I donít know what the SP stands for.

As I was taking pictures of the bell I heard a kitty meowing behind me and when I turned I spotted the schoolís watch cat. He was quite the talker.

I started walking toward the kitty hoping to pet him then I noticed a cat food dish on the porch and a pair of boots. Hmmmmm is someone living in the old school? I guess I better stop skulking around and move on.

Sometimes it feels like I have taken a step or two back in time when I visit rural America.

Just on the edge of town this patriotic barn has always caught my attention.

I wasnít able to find any information about the school but I did find a little bit of information about Latah which is interesting: Latah

A few miles down the road is another patriotic display.

There is a cache here however I havenít looked for this one as itís along the highway and in front of someoneís house. With caches located on private property even with ownerís permission I rarely look for it but I will do a ride by to see what the attraction might be.

The cache page has a little bit of information about the display. ďJohn served us all in the Marines and upon returning from Iraq in the fall of 2005 he noticed that a storm had damaged his flag pole. With a little American ingenuity and a lot of pride John made this masterpiece.Ē

Thank you John and the other men and women who serve our country and keep the United States what it is.

My ride is taking me into the Palouse riding part of the Palouse_Scenic_Byway.

Riding up, down, and around the hills in the Palouse was an enjoyable way to start the day.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 03:42 PM   #2
Ladybug0048 OP
Bug Sister

I made my way to Farmington where I turned toward Mary_Minerva_McCroskey_Memorial_State_Park and Skyline Dr. an 18 mile long dirt road that goes through the park.

I like that the park is dedicated to the strong frontier women.
"This 5,300-acre park was given to the state of Idaho in 1955 and is dedicated to the memory of frontier women and the hardships they endured"

The start of Skyline Dr.

Itís been a number of years but I used to dirt ride here every so often and have good memories of exploring the trails. The website indicates there are 32 miles of trails in the park. I know many of them are single track and there are a few ATV trails as well. Even though I was all over the place on my XR100 I didnít ride much of Skyline Dr. and now I was going to ride it.

There are a few caches in the park, which I planned to look for. One of the cache pages did warn that the road could be ďtrickyĒ if wet, which had me a little concerned but I decided to do it anyway.

The road was wet but not bad at all. There were some areas that looked pretty slippery but the Superbug just sailed right through with no problem. There are some incredible views of the Palouse from Skyline Drive.

Looking at the map I could see another ride down here is in order to camp explore more roads.

Thereís Steptoe_Butte across the way.

Hereís a couple of the single track trails that shoots off Skyline Drive.

And one suited for ATVs as well as dual sport bikes.

There is a campsite at the start of the trail above, which would be a nice place to camp and ride.

I stopped here to try and get a shot of the pretty view across the way.

The photo didnít turn out worth beans but while I was stopped there a nice lady in a 4 wheel drive truck stopped to check on me. We talked for a few minutes and she was very pleasant. This type of thing would play again and again as I explored the back roads.

Stopped at the view point to check things out.

Again the pictures of the view didnít turn out but I did get some flower pictures.

There were a lot of wild flowers blooming which I was enjoying.

It was funny, I only saw three other people in the park as I rode through and two of them were near cache hiding spots. Those will have to wait for another time.

Another road I need to come back and ride.

It was time for lunch and to find a geocache. This place is called ďFireplaceĒ - I donít know why I didnít see a fireplace. The covered shelter and restroom was a welcome stop.

It stated to rain and hail a little bit while I was here so spending a little time having lunch worked out perfectly. Lunch was split pea soup and teriyaki beef chunks.

The cache was located only a few feet away from the shelter.

When you find a cache you sign the log book then also log it on the website later. You can leave something in the cache and take something. I normally leave some sort of ladybug trinket.

Someone left a cute little wreath. Often the things in the caches are kids toys which is great for families and at time people are tacky and leave broken or worn out junk. This one wasnít bad at all.

The rain stopped so I took a little walk on a foot path and stopped to enjoy this flower along the way.

With the park having 32 miles of motorcycle trails I liked that they had one trail for walking/hiking.

Itís too bad some motorcyclist didnít see fit to respect the foot trail in the picnic area and leave it as such. I bet that same rider doesnít understand why people donít like motorcyclists and want to close trails off to them completely.

Across from the picnic area there are three campsites, which are spread out nicely. Another good place to camp at some point.

If not for the cache at the picnic shelter I probably wouldnít have stopped but because I did I discovered the campsites. The bathroom was also tucked back away from the road and I wouldnít have known it was there either. Restrooms out in the woods are a little bit of luxury in my book. (I know all you men don't care one way or the other - it's a girl thing)

This curve was a lot wetter than the rest of the road and the trees are dripping with moss, which isnít common in the park. It looked a lot cooler in real life than it does in the photo.

From the picnic shelter it was on to another cache, which is at this old Tavern.

There is supposed to be a cache here but no one has logged a find since 2011 and there have been a number of Did Not Finds logged. It looks like the cache was place before the fence was installed and the cache owner hasnít taken care of it. There were also indications that it was difficult for vertically challenged people. I can relate to that. I thought it might be hanging in a tree behind the building. It wasnít but I found this while poking around in the woods.

As I was checking out the old building I noticed something on the floor and it looks like the cache fell out of the rafters.

One last look and I was on my way again.

I wasnít making miles very rapidly but the goal wasnít to make mile it was to enjoy the sights along the way and I was doing just that.

It wasnít long until I stopped again to enjoy a few minutes at this park.

There is a virtual cache here. No container to be found, just answer a few questions and email it to the cache owner. I took pictures of some of the signs but not the sign that had the answers I was looking for. I should have pulled out the questions and found the answers rather than going about it the lazy way. Oh well, just another reason to return.

This little building wonít last much longer if it doesnít receive some TLC.

It looks more like a display log building rather than a "real" one since it doesnít have any caulking between the logs. Thereís a lot of daylight shining through.

Potlatchís claim to fame.

A tribute to the transportation system that moved the lumber from here across the nation.

I found the road to my next stop and I was ignoring those black clouds in the sky. If I ignore it then it's not there.

Ooooooo a roller coaster road.

Had to take a picture of the road sign so I could remember where I was. I do that a lot.

There is a cache here but all I found was ugly water. YuckÖ..

The next stop was more productive. Very pretty historic cemetery.

The cache

A stop here

The cache page said there is an easy long way to get to the cache or a short steep way to get to the cache. I took the short steep way.

I found the cache

The Library in Bolvill, ID

Things are fading away.

A post office for MortimerSickle

There's so much to see when taking the time to look around.....

Old 06-09-2013, 05:01 PM   #3
mrmagoolin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 513
Great start Ladybug.
Old 06-09-2013, 05:12 PM   #4
doorman
Aimless

Oddometer: 221
Looks like a lot of fun. I always wanted to get in to geocaching, but I think my wife would disown me if I started another hobby.

Motoflyfishing
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=894025
doorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 05:31 PM   #5
Domromer
Desert Rat

Oddometer: 1,084
Very cool, dual sport and geocaching...a perfect combo!

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851060 ... A desert rat explores the south.
Domromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 03:58 AM   #6
Ladybug0048 OP
Bug Sister

At the rate I was going I wasnít going to get to where I wanted to camp but I didnít want to just by pass fun things to check out either. Beside I didnít have a real plan of where I was going to camp just an idea of what area I might stop for the night.

Another fun scenic road the Elk_River_Backcounty_Byway

I spotted a few things on the sign that I would like to check out but not now. My idea was to return through Elk River on my way home so I figured I would do it on the way back.

The road twists and turns on its way to Dworshak Reservoir. Shortly after this photo the road turned to dirt.

Enjoying mountain views.

Dworshak Reservoir

I thought I would find camping in this area but I didnít. I spotted a group camping area but it was gated and locked. Later I discover the regular camping was before the group area but I didnít start looking for camping until after the group area.

My first sighting of the Dent_Bridge I knew from photos it is a beautiful bridge but like so many things the photos just canít capture that first view in real life.

I dropped down to the reservoir and the Dent_Bridge

"In 1972 the Dent Bridge earned the "American Institute of Steel Construction Award of Merit 1972 Long Span," having been judged as one of the 18 most beautiful structures in America."

There wasnít any traffic so I got a shot of the Superbug coming off the bridge.

In the area there are 5 caches that I had in the GPS figuring on camping in the area and looking for them. I was so taken by the bridge and getting pictures of it I forgot all about looking for the caches.

I was hoping to find camping before I got to Orofino, ID but I didnít and it was starting to get late. In Orofino I fueled up and headed out looking for camp. I stayed on the North side of the river and Hwy 12 with the hopes there would be camping.

It was a nice ride but the further the sun dropped the more deer I was seeing. It was starting to look like I would be riding after dark which I try to avoid but I was enjoying the views and the ride.

It was so pretty out there.

I got to Lenore, ID and this old style Post Office.

If you think postal workers have a cushy job you might want to re-think that. It doesnít look all that cushy too me. My cube at work is a lot more cushy than this.

It was late enough I decided camping wasnít going to happen, it was time for me to find a motel and get off the road. I crossed the river, got on Highway 12 and made a beeline for Orofino.

I spotted a motel shortly before Orofino so I pulled in. The office wasnít obvious and the motel looked a bit sketchy so I pulled out and continued on. At Orofino I saw a sign for a motel but I didnít pay attention to directions figuring how difficult could it be to find it. I found a nice Best Western that was hosting a convention but it really isn't my type of place. I returned to the sign I spotted and paid attention to the directions to the motel. It was three miles north. I headed the direction the sign pointed and was headed out of town (town if very small). I couldnít image a motel being out there but I decided I would go at least 3 miles before I turned around. Sure enough there is a motel there and I liked it.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:16 AM   #7
Crusier Dude
pavement inspecter

Oddometer: 299
Thumb Another great adventure LadyBug.

I love how you take the time to see the history and sites off the beaten path. My brother in law owns the IGA in orifino. I worked for him as a meat cutter and produce manager for 10 months in 2011. I know of the little Motel you are talking about. Ed from Happy Tails loves to ride up there get the GREAT tasting chicken at the IGA store and have fun in the area. Looking forward to the rest of your trip.
THANKS AGAIN FOR SHARING YOUR TIME WITH US.

Les in Boise.
Crusier Dude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:37 AM   #8
Loud Al

Oddometer: 3,868
A great start

I was watching your spot as you were running around looking for a hotel and I couldn't figure out what you were doing

Allan
Loud Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:34 PM   #9
TheAdmiral
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 768
Beautiful ride and thread Ladybug. You've found some great history up yonder, but I suspect you already knew it was there. I'm glad you're gonna do an on-going ride report. I'm pretty sure I've missed some great ride reports from you 'cause I don't venture into the regional forums all that often. I also do a bit of geocaching and in a quest to find some, they've taken me to places I might not have otherwise visited. Have a fun time in Hell's Canyon.

Admiral's Voyages http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788178
TheAdmiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:24 AM   #10
Honkey Cat
Tailights Fade!

Oddometer: 1,063
enjoyed the pics
Old 06-12-2013, 08:29 AM   #11
Ol Man
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
Geocaching is a lot of fun. Some people put a lot of effort into their description of their cache and the "story" that goes with it. When we first retired to the high desert in Calif, we used geocaching to find out a lot about the area. We frequently look for caches on our travels.

Thanks for your reports.
Ol Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:14 PM   #12
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,709
Laugh Nice job Ladybug,

...fellow cacher here. I enjoy it a lot just for the reason you state, takes me places I wouldn't normally have gone. I've really slacked off latly and need to get back to it. Ride on and I look forward to following your adventures. I've got 3 caches in the Mt. Shasta area if you're ever in the Northern Calif. region. Cacheing name is the same as here, Redog1
Old 06-12-2013, 08:15 PM   #13
Ladybug0048 OP
Bug Sister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusier Dude View Post
I love how you take the time to see the history and sites off the beaten path. My brother in law owns the IGA in orifino. I worked for him as a meat cutter and produce manager for 10 months in 2011. I know of the little Motel you are talking about. Ed from Happy Tails loves to ride up there get the GREAT tasting chicken at the IGA store and have fun in the area. Looking forward to the rest of your trip.
THANKS AGAIN FOR SHARING YOUR TIME WITH US.

Les in Boise.
Hi Les, I'm glad you are following along. I'll have to remember to stop at the IGA for their chicken. I thought about stopping there and picking up something for dinner but I didn't have room to add anything more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud Al View Post
A great start

I was watching your spot as you were running around looking for a hotel and I couldn't figure out what you were doing

With you knowing how much I dislike riding after dark I can see why you couldn't figure out what I was doing. It was a lot later than I normally ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAdmiral View Post
Beautiful ride and thread Ladybug. You've found some great history up yonder, but I suspect you already knew it was there. I'm glad you're gonna do an on-going ride report. I'm pretty sure I've missed some great ride reports from you 'cause I don't venture into the regional forums all that often. I also do a bit of geocaching and in a quest to find some, they've taken me to places I might not have otherwise visited. Have a fun time in Hell's Canyon.
There are so many great places in the NW and I just keep finding more and more wonderful jewels. Geocaching along the way gets me to interesting places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honkey Cat View Post
enjoyed the pics
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Man View Post
Geocaching is a lot of fun. Some people put a lot of effort into their description of their cache and the "story" that goes with it. When we first retired to the high desert in Calif, we used geocaching to find out a lot about the area. We frequently look for caches on our travels.

Thanks for your reports.
You are right the story on the cache page for some of the caches make them that much more fun. There was one in particular that I enjoyed. I'll get to that yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by redog1 View Post
...fellow cacher here. I enjoy it a lot just for the reason you state, takes me places I wouldn't normally have gone. I've really slacked off latly and need to get back to it. Ride on and I look forward to following your adventures. I've got 3 caches in the Mt. Shasta area if you're ever in the Northern Calif. region. Cacheing name is the same as here, Redog1
I'm hit and miss with caching. I let it lag for a while then remember why I enjoy doing it and start again. My cache name is the same as here as well. The next time I get to the N. CA area I'll go in search of the caches, I love Mt. Shasta.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:27 PM   #14
Ladybug0048 OP
Bug Sister

I was hoping to have this portion completed by this weekend since I'm headed to Enterprise, OR for the Hells Canyon/Wallowa Valley Gathering but I don't think I'm going to get it done. This might be slow going but I will complete the story of this ride. In the meantime I will give you this:

Friday 5/31/13

Konkolville_Motel is a nice motel, which I enjoyed. The owners, Joe and Sherry, were very welcoming and made sure I was happy. When I got to my room I found it to be large, clean and so very comfy. In the room was a fridge, microwave and coffee pot all worth points in my book. Heck, they impressed me when they told me they have motorcycle parking.

See the Superbug there in itís own special parking.

In the room there was a notebook with information about the area and it included the history of the motel and lumber mill across the street. Itís also on their website. I like that it was created by a family following their dream and now itís owned by someone following in their footsteps. Very cool.

After I got up I went to the lobby and enjoyed breakfast. I was surprised to find breakfast was more than a roll and juice. They had cereal, muffins, toast, waffles, biscuits and gravy and of course hot coffee. Not bad since itís included with the room.

They even have a swimming pool and hot tub although I didnít use them I liked where the pool was located and how nice things were.

As I was packing up the Superbug Joe noticed me getting ready to leave and came over to talk with me. He gave me some tips on good riding roads in the area and wanted to be sure I ate breakfast before I left. How nice is that?

I was very impressed with the motel and normally I donít care that much for motels.

These are mighty big cedars

I was off riding again and looking for the road off Greer Grade that goes to Pardee, ID. Pardee hasnít been a town for many years so there aren't direction signs and the road didnít have a road sign. I was also looking for caches, sort of.

I stopped to check out the view and enjoyed seeing the Old Greer Grade (dirt) on the other side of the river.

Itís nice to see the wild roses blooming.

The view sure is nice. There is supposed to be a cache here but I didnít find it. At least I found roses and a pretty view so the stop was worth it.

I got to about the top of the grade and knew I had missed the road I was looking for so back down the grade I headed. I decided to check for another cache feeling a little disappointed because I didnít think I was going to find the road I wanted to ride. I couldnít imagine where I missed it or where it was going to be.

The cache was at a historical sign which I always enjoy reading.

After reading the sign I started to look for the cache. Ahhhh thereís the little darliní.

Itís a tiny little bugger.

When I walked to the back of the sign to look for the cache I spotted thisÖ.

I bet thatís the road I was looking for. I checked my GPS and sure enough that was it. The road came off the edge of the pull out and didnít have a road sign so it just blended in to the pull out. Oh goodie, goodie I found the road I wanted to ride.

Over the next few days I spotted a number of these.

On highway 12 these crosses were painted on the road every couple miles.

Enjoying the ride

Pretty spring run off

As I was riding up a hill I spotted a critter up in the road.

At first I didnít know what it was but as I got a little closer I figured it out. I stopped not to spook it and so I could get a picture. I found it pretty funny that there was a Llama at a Llama crossing sign. Normally there are signs like that but you never see the critters you are being warned about.

I wanted to get a closer look and hoping to get a better picture so I started to inch my way toward the big guy. It made me a little nervous when it started walking toward me. I know itís domesticated but how tame is it really?

With it walking toward me I stopped again and when I did it turned and went off into the bushes.

Iím going to leave you with that for now and will be back later to add more . . .
Old 06-13-2013, 11:45 AM   #15
Shooby
Anti-Cager

Oddometer: 665
Surveyor droppings

Nice Reporting as usual! I'm planning on geocaching around here this summer.
The "Crosses" you saw are aerial photography control panel points set by surveyors and used in photogrammetric mapping. GPS coordinates with "Survey Grade Accuracy" (+/- a couple centimeters) are established on the actual point in the center of the panel which is then used by the photogrammetrist to orient the aerial photo's to the regionally accepted horizontal / vertical coordinate system. Same application for those seen by travelers on paved routes that are painted on the asphalt along the sides of highways/streets, etc. A great deal more technical info to this brief explanation, but that becomes very boring in a real hurry.
Shooby is offline   Reply With Quote