New and improved KTM690 WUNDERFEST

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by crankshaft, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Bill the Bong

Bill the Bong Supern00ba

Oddometer:
    Just got the FI code for faulty IAT sensor. I still have 35km to go after my shift, in the dark. And its winter, and piss-cold. So tomorrow I get to pull the just-before-the-time-filled-up-EVO 2 tanks and the airbox. Joy.
  2. NovaMoto

NovaMoto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I removed my swingarm after one season and 7,000km. Mine had some water in them and were pitted on one side. I changed out the works.

The OEM grease is more or less a thin film. If I had my time back I would have disassembled all the linkage when new and applied waterproof grease before I ever rode it. My suspension guy, a factory KTM mechanic during the day, said that's exactly what they do with every bike before it's ever on-track.

3. Krol

Krol _______

Oddometer:
    I just installed a new Super Plush 90N spring and collar on my 2013 690 Enduro R. So far it is the best mod I've done (also done exhaust, front sprocket and skid). I was only able to take it for a short rip yesterday evening, but so far, the bike feels much more planted and puts the power down more effectively. I'm glad I changed the collar when I did, after only approx. 700km the threads were starting to give, any more and I probably would have had to cut the ring off. I wanted to say that it was a pleasure doing business with James Siddall and crew at Super Plush.
  4. gen

gen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can I ask your weight? (I'm also considering new springs from Super Plush.) Also the modified collar- is it also aluminum? Just wider/fatter?
  5. 13x

13x Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm having some throttle issues recently.

When I'm traveling down a straight at about 3k-4k rpm the throttle will open up itself for a split second causing a sudden surge.

Problem arise during hard acceleration and upon closing throttle, it remains open for split second again. Had a few close calls due to this. Any idea what is wrong?

And yes the throttle actually turns by itself with minimum pressure from me.
    Happened on all 3 settings soft, normal and advance

Will be heading down to my KTM dealer next week to get it checked.

on a 2013 690 ER, with RR foam filter, stock exhaust on stock map (needs remap?)
    installed CJ designs filler cap recently could that be the problem?

J.
  6. motoged

motoged Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Damn....there looks like 25-30% tread left :clap:clap That looks good still for gravel and pavement for at least another 1000km....but we always like a fresh tire :wink:

Yes, a surprisingly good tire considering the power of the 690....love it on my 450 :D

What is your next rear tire choice?

The Heidenau will be my rear alternative to my current choice of MotoZ desert IT Tractionator.
  7. Krol

Krol _______

Oddometer:
    Gen,
    I weigh 210lbs. The collar is billet aluminum, but significantly more robust. I should have taken side-by-side pics to show the difference, there really is no comparison. I don't know why KTM didn't provide something like this from the factory.
    When I contacted Super Plush, I let them know my weight, riding characteristics and that sometimes, but not that often, I rode with a passenger (105lbs). They suggested I get the 90N spring and then adjust the pre-load if I were riding two-up. They also said that if I were consistently riding two-up I should look at the 100N. Hope this helps.
  8. alpine rider

alpine rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In my search to solve my own life threatening throttle cluster-&*^k, I came across this -

http://shop.schlowycustoms.com/product_info.php/cPath/98_100/products_id/247

Curious if any of you guys have fiddled with this device?

If you follow the links to his story about riding through Africa, you'll find where he discusses the twitchy nature of the throttle on his F800 GS, and how this seemingly simple unit cures the problem.

I've been bitching about that exact issue on my 2010 R since day 1 :bluduh

Has anyone seen these offered on our side of the pond?

I'm down till I get my TuneECU cables. It starts & idles & runs just fine...its just that the throttle seems to have a mind of its own right now, and I never know what it's thinking :lol3
  9. NovaMoto

NovaMoto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That happens on my '11 too. Totally random interval but same scenario as yours. Very unnerving! I'm unable to find the problem hence no solution. I suspect the overly complicated & poorly implemented EFI on these bikes is the culprit.

My bike has a professional tune so I've ruled out the shitastic California-friendly programming.

10. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    I could probably have left it on there a bit longer, but doing long rides and like a bit of tread ...

One of the characteristics of this tyre has been no discernible loss of traction as the tyre wore down - I don't think that the tread is as big an issue as it is for knobbies - the stiff sidewalls allow low pressure (10-11psi in this one) and that allows the tyre to flatten out and conform to the terrain - like the foot of a mollusc ...

I've put a Motoz Tractionator H/T (Desert) on the back as another test - a lot of people seem to like them - I've used D606s for years without variation, and good to be trying some alternatives ...

After that, I'll give a Scorpion Rally a go, then probably back to the MT43 - have another of those in the shed on standby - really nice tyre ...

EDIT: the tyre would work well I think on country similar to the Grand canyon ride

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=791319
  11. MeinMotorrad

MeinMotorrad Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is it the broken wire syndrome? - http://ktm690.info/index.php/690_Hall_of_Wisdom#Air_Temp_Sensor_Wires
  12. Mini Trail

Mini Trail n°°b

Oddometer:
    Is there a section for how to remove stuck bolts from the embedded nuts in the tank?

I tried to remove my rack and one of the bolts was seized in the nut and the nut is turning in the plastic. I drilled the head off of the bolt so i could get to the nut but found it buried somewhere in the plastic and iat still turns. I tried oil, a little heat but i think i am going to need to grab that nut to break the bolt loose. Who here has solved this problem so i don't screw something up experimenting?
  13. chrislitt

chrislitt Drinking the Orange Kool-Aid

Oddometer:
    I know it is in here somewhere, can someone link me to some dialogue about replacing the stock air filter. The bits and pieces I recall is that the RallyRaid is good but noisy. Anyone like the Uni? Thanks!
  14. 13x

13x Adventurer

Oddometer:
    and i was thinking some supernatural beings are involved. :lol3
    last resort after TuneECU, im will get the module from the link.

and to think i actually went ahead to buy a 2013 model thinking there wasn't major changes since 2012, "it must be safe to get"

or maybe we are not going fast enough. :D
  15. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Previous Rider

Oddometer:
    I have the uni filter - have had no issues with it, much more betterer than the stock paper jobby and comes pre oiled :evil

[​IMG]
  16. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    Unifilter is good, but not as crisp engine response (IMO) as you get with the Twin-Air (Rally Raid) unit ...

My problem with the Twin-Air (RR) unit was not the noise, but the fact that without the airbox snorkel (which is removed) the foam filter is very exposed - this becomes a problem if you install the RR EVO-2 tanks without the ADV or rally fairing, as the tank install gets rid of the plastic guarding in front of the shrouds - you can literally look at the air filter when standing in front of the bike - [see pic below] - which isn't a good thing in rain, etc ...

I took the Twin-Air filter off for this reason, and installed the UniFilter alternative - which just replaces the OEM paper filter and stays under the airbox snorkel ...

But I did notice a reduction in engine response ...

[​IMG]
  17. gen

gen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I am ordering from Super Plush as well. I'm a bit heavier than you and thus am ordering a bit stiffer springs.

They tell me that their preload collar is stainless steel, fwiw. (It's designed not to seize.)
  18. Bill the Bong

Bill the Bong Supern00ba

Oddometer:
    Thanks, no, it was mud in the connector syndrome. Fixed this morning. Must just say that it didn't strand me, steady throttle it was running well, just abrupt and jerky when closing. But I have a Vortex ECU, not sure how it would fare on a OEM ECU.
  19. Bill the Bong

Bill the Bong Supern00ba

Oddometer:
    I ran the Schlowy Customs Accelerator Module as I'm also in South Africa. You can order it from lots of people, including the designer.

I used it because my bike was flaming out. It did not cure the twitchy throttle. I eventually installed a Vortex ECU. This resolves all issues. In my opinion the tune ECO option is equally good, but cheaper.
  20. Buzztail

Buzztail Buzztopian OG Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure you can grab them. I'll have a look this evening and see what I can figure out if nobody else chimes in before.