Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2013, 03:41 PM   #4516
quasigentrified
Cityfolk

Oddometer: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xylx View Post
I know a guy who has been trying to buy a DCT version for 4 months from the local dealer here in Boise. He's standing there with the money in hand. They keep telling him it has shipped, he goes out there, no bike. I wanted to buy one this week. They told me they had two in stock. I go out there and they have one non-DCT NC700X and one of those cruiser style ones. The dealer doesn't even know the difference between these bikes. Does anyone on here know of any DCTs at a dealer they like in WA, OR, UT, or NV? I've given up on the local dealer.
http://www.ridemotorsports.com (Woodinville WA) and http://www.lakecitypowersports.com (Seattle WA) seem to get regular DCT deliveries.
quasigentrified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 03:10 PM   #4517
jeffjcalweb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
so what about the CTX700?

Ok I thought I was set and dialed in to pull the plug on the NC700X, even to the point of visiting a local dealer and seeing one in person, etc.

Then...then.... THEN last night I stumble across the CTX700 and have to say visually it draws me right to it over the NC. I understand the riding styles are different and I think the NC with its 'trunk' is still one of the cooler things I've seen while researching.

Just wondering, did any of you ride and compare the CT before buying the NC? I'm considering the DCT/ABS version of both, and intend most of my riding to be solo with some short trips possible with a passenger.

Any thoughts here?
jeffjcalweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 04:05 PM   #4518
syntec4
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Hope View Post
Great photo! Extra kudos for artfully capturing the RtW compass rose patch. I just finished installing hand guards on mine, the final step will be the Seat Concepts seat which the upholsterer is doing this Friday.
Thanks.. I'll be looking at Handguards this summer in preparation for next winter. It's one of the things I miss about my old Vstrom. I have heated grips but they don't help much at just above freezing due to windchill. I'm not sure which ones to get as yet.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:36 PM   #4519
dman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 562
NC700X police bike

I don't usually follow this thread as I don't own and probably won't buy an NC700X, but thought this story might be of interest:
http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/cap...ce=most_viewed

I think some of the facts are questionable (120dB noise for the Harley @ 2000 rpm? $15K for the NC700 ... maybe for both?) but I think this will be a great city cop bike. My town, which neighbors Capitola, uses HD's and at least one BMW F650, and the Harley's are indeed loud.

Here's an older story from another Honda forum that I found with Google.
http://www.st-owners.com/forums/show...lice-Bike-Test

-dman
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:53 PM   #4520
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 1,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman View Post
I don't usually follow this thread as I don't own and probably won't buy an NC700X, but thought this story might be of interest:
http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/cap...ce=most_viewed

I think some of the facts are questionable (120dB noise for the Harley @ 2000 rpm? $15K for the NC700 ... maybe for both?) but I think this will be a great city cop bike. My town, which neighbors Capitola, uses HD's and at least one BMW F650, and the Harley's are indeed loud.

Here's an older story from another Honda forum that I found with Google.
http://www.st-owners.com/forums/show...lice-Bike-Test

-dman
They seem to imply that one Honda will cost 15K. Maybe with the modifications it needs to become a police bike? Storage, radio, lights etc??
Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:50 PM   #4521
jeffjcalweb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
DCT question (S/D and 'paddle')...

Hi - i've read quite a number of owner posts/reviews, along with just about every "professional" review, including video.

but i have yet to see/hear:

are any of you choosing to 'paddle' shift the bike to still control shift points? or am i not understanding the point of the ability to still shift up/down using controls? also, not that this is a performance bike, i'm just curious, if using the paddle/manual provides anything superior in terms of performance (or fun/excitement, choose your adjective) that just riding around in the "S" mode wouldn't do?

i'm not trying to race the dang thing, i think i'm just trying to break a mental image that's been created with so many "its a scooter" type comments.

hope those questions made some sense!
jeffjcalweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:24 AM   #4522
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffjcalweb View Post
Hi - i've read quite a number of owner posts/reviews, along with just about every "professional" review, including video.

but i have yet to see/hear:

are any of you choosing to 'paddle' shift the bike to still control shift points? or am i not understanding the point of the ability to still shift up/down using controls? also, not that this is a performance bike, i'm just curious, if using the paddle/manual provides anything superior in terms of performance (or fun/excitement, choose your adjective) that just riding around in the "S" mode wouldn't do?

i'm not trying to race the dang thing, i think i'm just trying to break a mental image that's been created with so many "its a scooter" type comments.

hope those questions made some sense!
I've never ridden a dct so I can't answer from experience, but anybody who says its a scooter is ignorant, unkowledgeable, and a flaming noob, including moto journalist who could ride me into the ground if they were on a scooter Its just a dumb thing to say. Its a motorcyle with an automatic transmission. Did people call the guzzi auto a scooter? No, of course not. The concept's been around a long time. Lack of demand and technology is why it hasn't become popular. Times change. Demand changes. Technology improves. Maybe the auto motorcycle's time has come. The market will determine that.

I'd like to ride one. I've never ridden an automatic bike. I have ridden the manual NC and liked it pretty good. For about 15 years all I ever owned was standard trans cages. Now all I own are automatics and in a cage I've decided I like them, although I still like to drive sticks.

The purpose of the paddle shifters is simply to give the rider an option and more control. In the twisties maybe the auto won't always be in exactly the gear you want - with the paddles you can shift it if want. If you just want to shift gears because you like it, you still can. You just don't have to if you don't want too. I think it makes the bike adjustable to your mood and the road.

See if you can get a test ride and report back.
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:08 AM   #4523
rowdymoose
Carpe Diem-seize the carp

Oddometer: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobiker View Post
I've never ridden a dct so I can't answer from experience, but anybody who says its a scooter is ignorant, unkowledgeable, and a flaming noob, including moto journalist who could ride me into the ground if they were on a scooter Its just a dumb thing to say. Its a motorcyle with an automatic transmission. Did people call the guzzi auto a scooter? No, of course not. The concept's been around a long time. Lack of demand and technology is why it hasn't become popular. Times change. Demand changes. Technology improves. Maybe the auto motorcycle's time has come. The market will determine that.

I'd like to ride one. I've never ridden an automatic bike. I have ridden the manual NC and liked it pretty good. For about 15 years all I ever owned was standard trans cages. Now all I own are automatics and in a cage I've decided I like them, although I still like to drive sticks.

The purpose of the paddle shifters is simply to give the rider an option and more control. In the twisties maybe the auto won't always be in exactly the gear you want - with the paddles you can shift it if want. If you just want to shift gears because you like it, you still can. You just don't have to if you don't want too. I think it makes the bike adjustable to your mood and the road.

See if you can get a test ride and report back.
Agreed--I equate it to the "sport" shifting that's available on a lot of auto-trans cages that are on the market today. You can leave it in D and drive all day long, but occasionally, you might want to down-shift for more power to meet a certain situation. I owned a scooter before I bought the NCX, and honestly I miss the "auto" trans--just gas and go...so simple. I'm still kicking myself for not getting the DCT NCX even though I've never ridden one. I just assume it would be one less thing to worry about like it was when I was on my scooter.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:40 AM   #4524
watrboy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Puke

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdymoose View Post
Agreed--I equate it to the "sport" shifting that's available on a lot of auto-trans cages that are on the market today. You can leave it in D and drive all day long, but occasionally, you might want to down-shift for more power to meet a certain situation. I owned a scooter before I bought the NCX, and honestly I miss the "auto" trans--just gas and go...so simple. I'm still kicking myself for not getting the DCT NCX even though I've never ridden one. I just assume it would be one less thing to worry about like it was when I was on my scooter.
I have a small desire to at least drive one. Not locally available yet here. I like mine just fine with the manual, but curious.

One comment from another inmate was the need to ride the rear brake in the slow two track work with the DCT. Since I seem to be doing almost half my riding on gravel and two track, feathering the clutch habit works pretty well.

Still curious how it feels
watrboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:34 AM   #4525
gkgeiger
Every ride is an ADV

Oddometer: 551
I love my 4k mile DCT. I usually leave it in D but occasionally use S when riding 2 up on slower hilly terrain. I hardly ever use Manual but might if I were riding a lot of twisty roads at speed. There are many high dollar performance cars using the DCT technology, including BMW Chrysler lotus McLaren Mercedes Porsche and Audi.
'12 NC700X/D
gkgeiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:40 AM   #4526
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,562
I'd love to have DCT in my bike (and it's the way to go for most scooters too).

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:00 PM   #4527
The_Precious_Juice
Two pump chump

Oddometer: 976
Greetings,

I tried searching for this on this thread.

I hope to buy November/December of this year.

I'd like to purchase brand new; however, some of the used prices look really good.

But I do not want to get a bike that was thrashed for a couple of thousand miles. So my question is, "with the ref limiter in place, is it possible for a NCX to have a bad break in period? Seems like I read a lot about riders taking it to the red line the first day.

Some more noob questions. If I find a new 2012 model late this year:
1. Will I get the full 12 month warranty?
2. How bad is if for a bike to sit around on the dealer floor for well over a year?
3. I'd like to get the heated grips and 12 volt socket. are these hard DIY projects? Maybe I should just have the dealer put them in. The total comes to $370 + labor.

I feel confident, (with the help of others) the other farkles will be good to go.

Thanks for reading.
The_Precious_Juice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:27 PM   #4528
NortwestRider
TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

Oddometer: 3,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Precious_Juice View Post
Greetings,

I tried searching for this on this thread.

I hope to buy November/December of this year.

I'd like to purchase brand new; however, some of the used prices look really good.

But I do not want to get a bike that was thrashed for a couple of thousand miles. So my question is, "with the ref limiter in place, is it possible for a NCX to have a bad break in period? Seems like I read a lot about riders taking it to the red line the first day.

Some more noob questions. If I find a new 2012 model late this year:
1. Will I get the full 12 month warranty?
2. How bad is if for a bike to sit around on the dealer floor for well over a year?
3. I'd like to get the heated grips and 12 volt socket. are these hard DIY projects? Maybe I should just have the dealer put them in. The total comes to $370 + labor.

I feel confident, (with the help of others) the other farkles will be good to go.

Thanks for reading.
Just FARKLE ON my friend !!.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Facebook..PNW Adventure Riders..Facebook
MY BUILD http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=938440
NortwestRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 03:31 AM   #4529
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 16,533
I don't have one of these bikes or I would ride it out to Nevada and and prove the mpg's to Mr Vetter!
Anyone live near Craig Vetter? Do you get 65? 75? 85 mpg's?
He said...
Quote:
Shawn responds: I wonder if the wall you're hitting with the Helix is only partly because of the final drive, but more so because as you slow down the engine, you're falling further and further off the torque curve for that powerplant.
Alan Smith gets better mileage than you, but only by a relatively small amount, which is why I think the Helix's final drive is only part of the puzzle (since both of your engines are the same size). The limiting factor seems to be torque.
Honda has a new bike called the NC700S that is claimed to get over 70 mpg on an unfaired, unstreamlined bike. The engine they're using is a totally clean sheet design with an emphasis on efficiency.
http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bikes/2012-honda-nc700s/
If those fuel mileage claims are true for a 700cc naked bike, imagine the possibilities with genuine streamlining.
Craig answers: In what conditions do these bikes get the claimed mileage? My Challenges are real and tough: Las Vegas to Barstow style riding. I hope that somebody enters these new bikes that claim big mileage into my Challenges. My guess is that they won't do what they claim.
He has pioneered high MPG vehicles for decades and without a doubt has met many that are doubtful of his claims. So I find it surprising that he is doubting the mpg numbers of the bike without any facts on his part.
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 04:51 AM   #4530
lipsee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdymoose View Post
Quite honestly I totally agree,,but come to that conclusion from a totally different direction,,,I actually had my test ride on the DCT,and thought at the time "Yeah great bike ,but not for me" but now ,I regret not spending the extra....Chill
lipsee is offline   Reply With Quote