Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2013, 04:45 PM   #1126
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 72,297
Hamilton reveals his deep knowledge of all things tehnical.

Quote:
"There are things on other cars which we haven't got. Things on the Ferrari and Red Bull, and I'll say: 'Why haven't we got that?' And they'll say: 'We're testing that in three weeks.' And I'll say: 'Why not test it now?' I always try to keep pushing the guys."
The all-important "things".

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:07 PM   #1127
A. T. T-W
Can't be bothered.

Oddometer: 4,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by srad600 View Post
News broadcasts and commentators have been eluding to this, but I cannot seem to find that specific section (in regards to the exception for Pirelli requested tire tests). It may be out there somewhere though... If this is so very specifically called out in the rules, I cannot imagine why the team would just blatantly ignore it. I imagine there has to be some grey area they thought they could skirt.
I don't think that there are specific rules for tyre testing. Such testing falls within the general test rules:

http://www.formula1.com/inside_f1/ru.../8713/fia.html

First para:

22.1 Track testing shall be considered any track running time not part of an Event undertaken by a competitor entered in the Championship, using cars which conform substantially with the current Formula One Technical Regulations in addition to those from the previous or subsequent year.

Which also explains why the Pirelli tests conducted by other teams using 2011 cars are within the rules (2012, 2013 and 2014 spec cars are prohibited from testing).

It doesn't matter whether or not they were running the cars with aero or other modifications, they would have gathered data that would otherwise not have been available outside the sanctioned periods of running at events.
Old 06-13-2013, 04:38 AM   #1128
Turder
Throttle engineer

Oddometer: 456
Huge thanks to greg, keep 'em updates coming Very interesting.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:16 AM   #1129
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
The all-important "things".
A bit different from the "things" on his girlfriend, but hey, Red Bull and Ferrari have those too.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:54 AM   #1130
g®eg OP
Canadian living in exile

Oddometer: 6,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turder View Post
Huge thanks to greg, keep 'em updates coming Very interesting.
thanks

a little animation of the brakes (and a few nose changes pointed out) at Ferrari

Try to see the world beyond your front door.
g®eg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:38 AM   #1131
g®eg OP
Canadian living in exile

looks like New Jersey is a go

LINK to huge pic of track layout

News Jersey Grand Prix is a go!

Organizers assure the race will take place from 2014 and that a unusually long 15-year deal was signed.
Thursday, June 13, 2013

By Jack Leslie

David Coulthard drives along JFK Blvd. at the Red Bull Show Run in Weehawken, NJ, USA on 15 August 2012.

June 13th, 2013 (F1plus/J Leslie).- Two years ago the United States didn't host a Formula One race weekend, however that's all set to change as the country goes from hosting zero races 24 months ago to hosting two rounds of the Formula One World Championship in 2014.
This is thanks to Bernie Ecclestone and FOM signing a long-term contract for the Grand Prix of America - a street circuit in New Jersey.
The plan may sound familiar to you; the race was originally planned to take place right about now - a week after the Canadian Grand Prix. Organisers ran into financial trouble and the initial deal was terminated as organisers had not "complied with the terms and conditions of the contract."
However the race is back on track and set for a June 2014 debut thanks to financial help from Bernie Ecclestone to clear the substantial debts that organisers had racked up. It's been reported the race now has a unsually long 15-year contract that secures the races long-term future.
The race will certainly be an impressive spectacle. Running alongside the Hudson River and with the Manhattan skyline proving the perfect backdrop, the Port Imperial Street Circuit will last 3.2 miles and provide 19 challenging corners for drivers to negotiate.
Speaking to Press Association Sport about the new long term contract, GPA executive chairman and race promoter Leo Hindery Jnr said: "The Grand Prix of America at Port Imperial has been a dream of many in the sport for over a decade.
"We had hoped to be ready to race in June 2013, but by late last fall (autumn) it was clear we would not have in place in time the long-term capital structure needed to satisfy Formula One of our readiness."
However thanks to a few helpers, the race is back on track: "Thanks to the patient, invaluable support of Bernie Ecclestone and FOM (Formula One Management) we now have a long-term sanctioning agreement needed to go racing for years to come, starting in June 2014.
Next season looks to be tightly packed with the addition of New Jersey alongside Russia's Formula One debut.

Old 06-13-2013, 01:06 PM   #1132
wxwax
Excited Member

I don't know if anyone caught the NBC interview with the project lead for New Jersey, but he was comparing the track to Spa.

I'm glad the race will go ahead. But this New York skyline thing is overblown. 90% of the time the cameras will be elevated and pointing downward at the New Jersey street surface, just as they spend most of their time looking down into the Singapore concrete barrier canyon and the Valencia dullsville track.

Playing next to the world's media capitol will surely help grow the sport in the United States, though.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 06-13-2013, 01:26 PM   #1133
g®eg OP
Canadian living in exile

Quote:
I don't know if anyone caught the NBC interview with the project lead for New Jersey, but he was comparing the track to Spa.

I'm glad the race will go ahead. But this New York skyline thing is overblown. 90% of the time the cameras will be elevated and pointing downward at the New Jersey street surface, just as they spend most of their time looking down into the Singapore concrete barrier canyon and the Valencia dullsville track.

Playing next to the world's media capitol will surely help grow the sport in the United States, though.
I heard that comment about Spa... and I thought "WTF does a guy from NJ know about Spa?"
sort of believe it when I see it... but they claim a 15 year deal with Bernie's money too.

Tilke ..... again....
I think it'll likely be shit, but the media will wet themselves talking about the skyline of Manhattan etc etc....

Old 06-15-2013, 01:24 PM   #1134
wxwax
Excited Member

NBC getting their money's worth from Will Buxton. He's doing the pre-race in Milwaukee today.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 06-18-2013, 09:05 AM   #1135
green hell
yawning or snarling

Oddometer: 19,903
seems to be some fuss on twitter regarding the alleged appearance of traction control on webber's car.

https://twitter.com/Formula1_com

http://youtu.be/zxig8iM7jDU

needless dickery
green hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:08 AM   #1136
g®eg OP
Canadian living in exile

yes... they are going on about the shape of the skid marks when he his Vander-whats-his-name...
generally speaking though most people seem to be saying " its just drive-train oscillation causing a momentary change in torque at the wheels"

and in other news: this'll confuse the hell out of people (and piss off Red Bull)

Quote:
Lotus F1 Team announce new investor

By
Jack Leslie

June 18, 2013
The Lotus F1 Team has revealed that they have a new investor in the form of a consortium called Infinity Racing.
Infinity Racing have invested for a 35% stake in the team – who have long been experiencing financial difficulties. Lotus has consistently posted losses since the team was ditched by Renault at the end of 2009.
The Enstone based squad will remain under the control of Gerard Lopez’s Genii Capital group who originally bought a majority share in the team back in 2009 prior to Renault’s exit. They still hold a 65% stake in the Lotus team.
Lotus says that Infinity Racing is “an investment consortium whose special purpose vehicle is comprised of private investors that include an American hedge fund manager, an Abu Dhabi-based multinational business group and royal family interests of a major oil producing nation” but they did not identify the investors.
Majority shareholder Gerard Lopez said on the announcement: “Infinity Racing’s principals have exceptional expertise and a proven strong track record in developing and delivering high quality technologies. This partnership will enable us to increase Lotus F1 Team’s competitive advantage related to KERS technology as it becomes more central to Formula 1’s push for environmentally sound racing, while also making Lotus F1 Team more marketable as a brand, opening up additional major sponsorship opportunities.”
Genii CEO Eric Lux also commented on the news, saying: “Since Genii Capital took over control in December 2009, we have been focused on growing the value of the organisation and developing the infrastructure at its Enstone headquarters.”
He also added that he feels Infinity Racing bring the right investment to help them challenge for titles, adding: “As Lotus F1 Team results have continued to improve every year, we have been waiting for the right investor who will help make the jump to the top spot in the Constructors’ Championship.
“In Infinity Racing, we have found a partner with the right connections in addition to technological expertise and a global reach in major markets with key sponsors to achieve this goal.”
Image courtesy of Octane Photographic

Old 06-18-2013, 01:07 PM   #1137
wxwax
Excited Member

Since the logos will be different, I don't think anyone will be confused. Nobody calls Red Bull, Infinity, do they?

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 06-18-2013, 01:15 PM   #1138
g®eg OP
Canadian living in exile

Quote:
Since the logos will be different, I don't think anyone will be confused. Nobody calls Red Bull, Infinity, do they?
It might be a bit like the Lotus vs Lotus of a few years ago.

I *think* Red Bull is trying to be "Infiniti Red Bull Racing" because Infiniti is their title sponsor (after sugary drinks guys... obviously).

Home Page Link

Old 06-18-2013, 01:52 PM   #1139
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,459
I find it confusing the Toro Rosso cars say Red Bull on the side, but the Red Bull cars don't?!

SVN/XRR/Christini
PeteN95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:52 PM   #1140
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteN95 View Post
I find it confusing the Toro Rosso cars say Red Bull on the side, but the Red Bull cars don't?!
I'm a bit slow, took me a while to figure out that the Toro Rosoo cars had gold noses and Red Bull cars had yellow noses. Until I realized that, I had had a lot of trouble telling them apart on the track.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan