User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2013, 06:33 AM   #1
Uncle Duke OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
The 2013 motogp needs our help again!

Greetings, Friends. Ken Browde and once again, the Indianapolis Moto GP race team needs our help and this year, more than ever. For reasons I cannot fathom, we have a severe shortage of workers for this year's event, which will be run August 15 to the 18. WE need F&C as well as Track workers.

Now, before I go any further, let me tell you that the staff at Indy/USAC has praised everyone from ADV for the excellence in performance, the dedication, the overall expertise (even among the novices!) that ADV brings to the GP. And as many returning veterans will surely tell you, we F&C and Track workers at Indy are treated with respect, honor and everyone is very appreciative of our efforts, unlike some other tracks that will remain unnamed...for now.

Oh, and while you are working the event at Indy, you will be very well fed and very well appreciated.

So please check your calendars and for additional information please call one of us:

Ms. Sandy Byrnes
(p) 847-475-0500
(c) 847-494-4312

Or call me:

Ken Browde
(p) 517-626-7454
(c) 517-927-8023

Or go to the web site: www.motogpworker.com

One other request: I really do not know how to fully naviigate this site so please spread the word any way you can. If you call Sandy, tell her you ar ADV: our group reputation preceeds you and even if you have never flagged an event before, you will be warmly welcomed! Sandy and the MotoGP/USAC have quickly learned that any member of ADV can do the job well.

Please hurry. We really need YOUR help!

All my best,

Ken Browde (alias Uncle Duke)
Uncle Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 12:56 PM   #2
spezjag
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,925
Ken -

I will be at the race, and am checking with my brother (who lives in Indy and with whom I will be staying) to see if he is interested. I will let you know ASAP!

Thanks!

Only a motorcyclist knows why a cheetah hangs its head out the window. - Peterman
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DZ6jy8o...ure%3Dyoutu.be
spezjag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 01:04 PM   #3
Possu
de-nOObed!

Oddometer: 5,176
If they'd pay my travel & food costs, I'd sign up now. I don't drink at all and thus, consider myself good value
Old 05-30-2013, 09:13 AM   #4
Uncle Duke OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Thumb Free Stuff is yours for the asking!

Well, they won't pay your way BUT you will get the following:

All the free food you can handle and its good!
A very nice hat that is not available to the general public.
A very nice golf shirt that is also not available to the general public.

And most important are these two factors: first, you WILL get a seat that money cannot buy and you will be helping assure the safety of the greatest motorcycle racers on the planet.

How can you beat that?
Uncle Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:08 AM   #5
spezjag
Beastly Adventurer

Uncle Duke -

I checked the web site you linked to, but could not find the answers to some questions I have and that I need to pass off to my brother before he could commit.

I am assuming there is some training required. When would we have to report in by? That will obvioulsy affect our respective schedules.

Also, I am assuming for planning purposes that we are talking eight-hour days for at least Friday through Sunday, correct?

Finally, my brother loved the Indy Mile event on Saturday evening last year - would this affect our ability to attend that?

Thanks!

Only a motorcyclist knows why a cheetah hangs its head out the window. - Peterman
Old 06-12-2013, 10:10 AM   #6
spezjag
Beastly Adventurer

All -

I called Sandy Byrne today and got answers to my questions:
Quote:
Originally Posted by spezjag View Post
1. I am assuming there is some training required. When would we have to report in by? That will obvioulsy affect our respective schedules.

A: Volunteers have to be available by noon on Thursday before the race. There is a track walk that afternnon, followed by training. Dinner is provided.

2. Also, I am assuming for planning purposes that we are talking eight-hour days for at least Friday through Sunday, correct?

A: From noon Thursday into the evening; Friday, bikes on the track fo rpractice, meals provided, expect a long day. Saturday, another potentially long day with bikes on the track for qualifying, again with meals provided. Sunday of course is race day, and volunteers should expect to be available all day htrough the end of the races.

Finally, my brother loved the Indy Mile event on Saturday evening last year - would this affect our ability to attend that?

A: I specifically asked about attending the Mile, and although meals (including dinner) are again provided, if volunteers want to break away to go to the Fairgrounds for the Mile, that is okay. In fact, Sandy said they may have discount tix available.
Thanks!
I hope this helps!

Old 06-13-2013, 07:25 AM   #7
yooperbikemike
high, wide and handsome

Oddometer: 12,199
Do you have to have prior experience?

yooperbikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:58 AM   #8
spezjag
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yooperbikemike View Post
Do you have to have prior experience?
No, but Sandy indicated that they usually pair volunteers with experienced flaggers. I suspect my job would be to stand around, hand flags to the guy with experience, and generally just look sexy as hell.

Old 06-13-2013, 12:13 PM   #9
yooperbikemike
high, wide and handsome

Oddometer: 12,199
Quote:
I suspect my job would be to stand around, hand flags to the guy with experience, and generally just look sexy as hell.
Damn, that's the job I was after!

yooperbikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:44 PM   #10
spezjag
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yooperbikemike View Post
Damn, that's the job I was after!
Jealousy does not become you.

Ken -

I submitted applications for both me and my brother, and I will get him to fill out the other papers required so we can submit them as well.

We are really looking forward to this!

Old 06-13-2013, 03:17 PM   #11
okiegtrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 386
Quote:
Jealousy does not become you.

Ken -

I submitted applications for both me and my brother, and I will get him to fill out the other papers required so we can submit them as well.

We are really looking forward to this!
you will enjoy the experience. My wife and I will be there, This will be our third Indy race to volunteer. Lots of great people in the flag crew from all over the world. Long days, but some good laffs in the evening at the golf club next door to the track.

Hope to see you there.
okiegtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:56 PM   #12
ZLTFUL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 315
Really debating this. I have done a ton of track days over the years and raced long long ago in a galaxy far far away so I know what the corner works/flaggers do.
But having never done it myself, I am hesitant...

I have also attended Indy in 2009 and 2011 and volunteered on Ducati Island in 2011 (obviously not the same).

So what say you? Go for it?
ZLTFUL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:43 PM   #13
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLTFUL View Post
Really debating this. I have done a ton of track days over the years and raced long long ago in a galaxy far far away so I know what the corner works/flaggers do.
But having never done it myself, I am hesitant...

I have also attended Indy in 2009 and 2011 and volunteered on Ducati Island in 2011 (obviously not the same).

So what say you? Go for it?
go for it. i say!
Old 06-20-2013, 07:11 PM   #14
okiegtrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by advNZer? View Post
go for it. i say!

what he said

besides, its fun and you cant buy a seat that close to the track, the flag gang has a good time.

sort of looks like this might well be the last hurrah for the GP at Indy, come be part of the show.

sign on, we need ya man!
okiegtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 01:42 AM   #15
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by advNZer? View Post
go for it. i say!
cmon!Its almost guaranteed you will enjoy what you have go to do without taking into account that the people doing it with you will be of like mind!Whats the hesitation!If the exercise wasnt several k i would consider it myself!