Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2013, 07:59 AM   #16
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by ig_88e View Post
The reason you get a Tacoma is you would rather do stuff besides fix your truck.
My '02 Suburban with 225,000 miles has had very little downtime for repairs. Very little cash outlay beyond regular maintenance items.

IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:00 AM   #17
sierraoffroad OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by ig_88e View Post
I have a v6 Access Cab taco. Like everyone says, mileage is not that great. I do mostly around town driving and get 17. I never take the snow tires off, but that is likely not worth too much more. Mine is a manual. For some reason, the auto's get ~1 MPG better.

The reason you get a Tacoma is you would rather do stuff besides fix your truck. Between my dad and I we're on our 5th small Toyota and we've never done any major work on any of them (no engine work except oil changes, no drivetrain work except brakes). I think one of my dad's trucks got new ball joints around 100K. We don't put on a lot of miles, but they do get used. You will most likely want to add a leaf spring to the rear on day 1. Pretty stupid levels of sag otherwise.

My next truck will be a double cab/long bed. I have a kiddo now and the rearfacing carseat fits behind the passenger seat, but then the passenger is kissing the dash. I'll be pissed about having an auto instead of a manual, but that seems to be the American way these days.

I work at a small engineering company. About 50% of us drive trucks. All but 1 is a Tacoma. But maybe engineers don't know anything...

P.S. We have a trailer that fits sheet goods. I don't use it except for drywall. Plywood, etc just gets set on the tailgate. I know the tailgate is a bit flimsy, but I've never had an issue, and I'd had 12+ sheets of 3/4" plywood on it a number of times.

Capacity wise, I think up to 1,200 lbs in the back is no big deal (with extra leaf). Above that I drive pretty slow...

can you tell me more about the extra leaf spring? is this smoething the dealer puts in free of charge like a service bullitin?
sierraoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:06 AM   #18
groundrules
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaywardSon View Post
I would actually talk to some folks that own the Tacoma before I jumped into that pool. A friend of mine has one with the V-6 and his biggest complaint has been fuel mileage. According to him, the truck averages less than 15 mpg. My Dodge Cummins does better than that.
This. I'm a tacoma owner. I bought a 2WD, 4cyl specifically to save gas. I get 22 mpg mixed, 26-26 all highway. It's better than my 4.0L V6 Ranger, but the Taco is a dog. The 4WD V6 4-door Tacoma that my friend has gets about 17 mpg mixed.

You can get a full-size that will get 17 mixed.
groundrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:08 AM   #19
ig_88e
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraoffroad View Post
can you tell me more about the extra leaf spring? is this smoething the dealer puts in free of charge like a service bullitin?
In my truck (07), yes. I think the TRD package already has it. Maybe they all do now? Not sure. It used to have 3 leafs, now it has 4. It was sort of a pain to get Toyota to do it, but I think it depends on the mood of the Service Dept on the day you complain about it.

All the older trucks we just had the local spring shop do it. I think it was on the order of $150 for my dad's truck (in '03). On my next truck, I may take this route, just so I don't have to deal with a pissy Service Manager.

We know another logger who puts 2 more in his Tacomas. But he also has ~100 gallon diesel tanks in the back, plus whatever other stuff is being hauled. When the diesel tank is empty they sit kinda funny.
ig_88e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:06 AM   #20
sierraoffroad OP
Beastly Adventurer

thanks for the leaf spring info. I am very happy with my silverado minus the frame and brake line rot. i have put very little in the way of repairs into it. tires, brakes oil, belts, tensioners, front wheel bearings at 197k. otherwise that's it. i'm in no rush to buy another vechile.
i am thinking the dbl cab long bed 4x4 is the way to go.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:24 AM   #21
Crocodile Tears
The 906

Oddometer: 3,445
Not sure about the V6 but the 4cyl does not like the freeway. 70+ drops you into the 19-20mpg range. Keep it around 60 and drive sensibly and you are rewarded w/ about 24.

As well, toss a pair of bikes in back and find some hills - you'll know they're back there for sure.

But even though it isn't as great as I thought it would be, I don't see a truck on the market that I would drive instead. Toyota needs to get their shit together and bring the D4D

2009 KLX250S
2005 Bandit 1200S
Crocodile Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:25 AM   #22
groundrules
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by crocodile tears View Post
not sure about the v6 but the 4cyl does not like the freeway. 70+ drops you into the 19-20mpg range. Keep it around 60 and drive sensibly and you are rewarded w/ about 24.

As well, toss a pair of bikes in back and find some hills - you'll know they're back there for sure.

But even though it isn't as great as i thought it would be, i don't see a truck on the market that i would drive instead. Toyota needs to get their shit together and bring the d4d
+1
groundrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:51 AM   #23
1greenmachine
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 531
I know a guy that did this a few years ago, traded his Chevy 1500 on a Tacoma and is back in a Chevy. He didn't gain any fuel mileage and when he loaded it up any little hill was rev the hell out of it to maintain speed and sucked down the gas.

His main gripe was in side winds got a lot of air and noise blown into the cab.
1greenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:24 AM   #24
sierraoffroad OP
Beastly Adventurer

thanks for the replies. maybe i'll stop in at the local gm dealer after a visit to a toyota dealer. i really need to try both before making my mind up fully. it's a shame my gmc sonoma i had some years back that would get 25 highway and high teens towing a trailer with 2 dirt bikes on it.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:29 PM   #25
Lee C
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 534
Quote:
i could get a very good deal by trading my truck toward a chevy or gmc, but will they last as long as my truck did without any expensive repairs?? they are a little cheaper than a tacoma and list the same gas mileage, but i just need reliability in a more compact version and i think the tacoma is it.
You will not bet the Taco for resale Good Luck
Lee C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:16 PM   #26
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 5,650
I've got an 03 Taco prerunner, with the TuRD package.
It's got 60k miles
We recored every fill-up and the mileage.
Unloaded or loaded with a bike on mixed So Cal driving, It get's 15-17 mpg depending on how the driving was weighted.
On the freeway out of CA (where the gas is better) it will get closer to 20, add the campershell and drive the freeway only it will just touch 21mpg.

We've had it since new
It has a rusty but not perfed frame (So Cal truck remember)
It's had the rear axle seals replaced three times
The Steering pump once
The Starter once
The Airbag light is lit (clock spring in the steering column, expensive part and lots of time to fix)
The bank 1 cat converter imploded, bank 2 was stolen and replaced.

The seats are uncomfortable
We didn't get the wind noise fixed while the car was under warrenty so we live with it.

Overall we are pretty happy with the truck. we got it as a loss leader and they hold their value well.
We most likely will replace it with a full size fan.

This generation of Toyota's are really small inside. We have a very hard time fitting two adults, one kid and dog inside.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:23 PM   #27
SourKraut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,858
Every time I've done the math on full-size vs. small truck I ended up with a full-size. The only thing I can see that would push you to buy a small truck is if you live in the city and/or your garage is too short.
SourKraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:52 PM   #28
adam_c_eckhardt
done with Chemistry!

Oddometer: 4,802
Quote:
wow 2,000.00. yikes. what was the problem?? what year is it?
thanks for responding this early in the am.
HVAC system stopped working properly. I called GM before I took it to a dealer because I was hoping to get them to help pay for it since it's a low mileage truck that's 2 months out of warranty. They make like they're willing to chip in, but won't say how much. Anyways- the dealer said it's 8 hours to get everything apart to figure out what parts it needs. Then throw parts at it, then put it back together. Yes, I'm annoyed. I will be a lot less annoyed if GM helps out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Going_Commando View Post
Adam, I swear your truck was built on a Friday, before a 2 week vacation for everyone on he line at touched your truck. Bad luck just seems to follow that thing.
Yep- it's definitely a Friday truck. I have several coworkers with similar trucks and most have had better luck, although my boss has had horrible problems with GMCs but keeps trading them in every 60,000 miles.

Mine has also developed a pretty awful rear end howl.

Definitely a tough choice on what to get. Tacomas are pretty sweet for getting around town and running errands, but they have some limitations. They've also gotten crazy expensive. Another thing to consider for us in NH is that we pay registration based on vehicle value. A new F-150 will cost a fortune to register. Also another $10,000 over the Taco.

I've become quite cynical toward new vehicles- I think they're all junk for what they cost- and I have a hard time parting with my money if it's for depreciating junk.
adam_c_eckhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:05 PM   #29
Hardware02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by 35xj View Post
ive got a dodge 2500 with the cummins in it. 8 foot bed, etc I occasionally realize its way too much truck to tow my 12" enclosed trailer. I start to look around at replacing it with a Tacoma, several friends drive them, I consistently realize, that the 18-20 mpg I get out of the truck is not dramatically worse than the Tacoma. If I lived in a city, where parking a 22 foot long truck was a problem, it would be a different matter. But its not, so I keep coming back to just keeping my trusty diesel
I upgraded from an '06 base model Tacoma est cab 4x4 to a '12 2500 Ram with a Cummins. The Cummins gets equal (if not slightly better) mileage in town and gets much better mileage on the open hwy (standard caveats apply: lightly loaded, cruise set at barely over posted limit).

Shortly after the warranty ran out on the Taco it yielded a $2000 repair bill. Some Tacos have ticking engines - mine was one of 'em (confirmed by two mechanics at the dealer where I bought it new). At the time of diagnosis there was no fix for it...

The power of the Cummins is addictive...I've never looked back.
Hardware02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:57 PM   #30
Puchy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
just thinking

So I bought a 12 Tacoma reg cab 4x4 4cyl 5spd. Nice little truck and does everything pretty well. Not a gas saver here-like 17 and 20mpg. Got a fiberglass top and picked up a little mileage on the hiway. My point here is I have a 98 f150 I bought new with 112k on it, 4.6v8 and 4 sp auto-best truck I ever owned. This old truck still gets23 mpg on the hiway. Just wish any Ecoboost didnt cost 40k. O well just ranting.
Puchy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: