Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 193 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 06-11-2013, 07:16 AM   #1846
Unique458
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
2013 Season

Day 18:

Just the usual routine today got up - Lockhart - mine - back to 49 for some sleep. On our way up past the meadows ( first checkpoint ), one or our drivers broke down there.

On mackay lake we saw a another truck that had shut down because of the cold, it seems to be a trend with the newer mack trucks, found out later on that the way that there fuel system is designed, the fuel gets pumped to the engine and stays there until being used, other trucks, the fuel gets pumped to the engine and then whatever is not being used flows back to the fuel tanks, that way the fuel is in constant motion, and doesn't gel up as easily.
I thought to myself that it was a good thing it happened during the day, where there is more traffic, and easier to get help then at night, there is always security on the road and maintenance, but a lot less of them at night compared to the day shift.

Today i saw " Eskimo sean " , now to explain a bit about him, before heading up to the ice roads, i was researching what ever information i could find on ice roads, i was more interested in the Yellowknife ice roads because those were the ones i was gonna be driving on, i was looking for ( if i could find it ) firsthand experience, i didn't want to base my knowledge on what i saw on tv, cause it's all crap anyways, if you believe what you see there, well.........your gonna die at every turn, and there is a storm brewing 24/7......ya whatever.

So back to Sean, i found him on youtube, he had taken some video of his experiences up in YK ice road, and this was just what i was looking for, this way i knew just what it was gonna be like, or at least as much as i could without being there, He's a guy from the U.S.A. here's a link to his channel, http://www.youtube.com/user/seansuth He has a bunch of other stuff on there as well some truck related, others not, but this was one of my resources to finding out what it was really gonna be like, and of corse, BEN Thanks again for all your help and knowledge.

Yesterday i had called home, my wife was off getting her haircut, so i spoke to my daughter ( 7 ), i asked her how was her day, school, and she plays Ringette, she had gotten a few goals, so i was happy for her, this was her first year in Ringette, at the start of the year there wasn't many parents helping the coaches, so for the first few weeks until i left for work i would help out at practice, and at the games, i came to like being there helping out the kids and stuff, and being out in YK and talking about it with my daughter, i was sad that i couldn't be there with all of them.
Sophie, ( daughter ) had asked me if i had seen the northern lights yet, we were discussing it before i had left, i told her that i did and that i would send along some pictures if i could.
Then she asked me if i liked it over there, now i don't know if was because i was tired or just the way i understood the question but, i thought i wonder if she thinks that if i like it here , i'm not coming back, i wasn't sure how she felt about the situation, she said she missed me very much and i did miss her too, and would have like to be there with her, good thing the conversation was over, i was starting to think about home a lil too much............Ahum! Back to work !

I also wrote in my notes, ( I may as well share for those of you who care to read ) I had told my daughter that in a few more weeks dad would be home.
And we would have some spare money so i could take her on a vacation to Florida to see Disney. ( We will be in Florida for x-mas and new years ) The older i get the more time seems to fly by, Sophie is gonna be 8 in the spring, my little girl is growing up fast, and i feel sometimes i'm missing out on a lot being on the road, I do like this job, it pays well, and will allow me some things that otherwise i could not have, but on the other hand, my family is home and i again am not, i sometimes wonder if this trucking thing is all worth it.

Day 19:

Got up had slept on 49, after we finished crossing mackay my running partner was still tired, he asked if we could stop for a 20 min snooze.............Again? he had to do this yesterday too, hope this is not gonna happen all the time , i feel we are wasting time, 20 here 20 there, every time on our way up and down we stop at Lockhart to eat. We lose 1-2 hrs every time we stop at Lockhart, it all adds up at the end of the week.
My partner has been on the ice roads for the past 3-4 years, so he knows a few guys, then they talk and talk and talk, i guess we are just 2 different characters, and like to work in different ways.

Right now we are getting 3 loads a week, with all this wasted time i'm sure i could get an extra load a week in, but he's an older fellow, just wants to work his day and rest up for the next. on the other hand, me i'm a bit more aggressive, i like to push the envelope a bit, at the rate of pay thats going up here an extra load a week x 6-8 weeks that's a big difference in my pay check.

Yesterday the driver in our group that was down at the meddows, turns out he lost a set of wheels on the trailer, wheels drum everything clean off, wow , wonder what happen there? then he gets fixed up gets going down the road again, a few hours later bang! another set of wheels off another axle, wowie! i've never seen such a thing , and twice in one day to the same truck, stuff like this never happens at home, must be because of the cold. With that happening and the other driver kicked off for not liking to food at lockhart, there respective drivers are waiting around for their buddies to get fixed up and going again, my partner and i who started last in our group of 6 now find ourselves leaving first on our next trip out. with all the breakdowns and shenanigans going on, we managed to pass them all, we were a full day behind when we started ( if i remember correctly ).

Today on our way back we were going through one the portages, all of a sudden a security pickup right there i front of us, they got my partner doing 35, only allowed 30 on portages, security tells him about it, and said that someone will be talking to him about it back in YK, usually this means a 3-5 day suspension, he's really pissed, i was able to slow up enough not to get caught , but the guy in behind me must have been asleep at the wheel, he never slowed down and got caught also 3-5 days, what the hell, didn't you hear on the cb, usually security calls out portages just like all the rest of us, so you here them calling , you know there close and adjust your speed accordingly, this security didn't, and caught us with our pants down. LoL!

My partner cried about it all the rest of the way home, and would have done the same if would have been me. He'd say " if i get suspended, i'm going home, fuck this shit, i'm not sitting around for days on end " so we'll see in the next few days whats going on, I might be running solo.

Some of the flood crews:

Unique458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 03:53 PM   #1847
ChazCable
Mechanic

Oddometer: 53
Gonna bring up a name not mentioned in a while, Ice Road Truckers, new season got a new guy Art, supposivly from yellowknife ice roads, check history and see if it's a familier face Ben, i remeber you talking about an Art a while back (2009 i think)
ChazCable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 05:54 PM   #1848
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Oddometer: 3,970
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazCable View Post
Gonna bring up a name not mentioned in a while, Ice Road Truckers, new season got a new guy Art, supposivly from yellowknife ice roads, check history and see if it's a familier face Ben, i remeber you talking about an Art a while back (2009 i think)
Good God man, you nearly gave me a heart-attack! Art is just the kind of character they'd put on the show, but the promotion pics show someone I don't recognize (not sure whether that's good news or bad!) The new guy is called Art Burke apparently, I don't know what 'my' Art's surname was but I do still think about him occasionally and wonder whether he's still up there.

But I don't know...from the one pic they have of him it is hard to tell, and he's wearing a hoodie too...maybe it is him! Oh boy, someone has to let me know when the new series starts because I don't have a telly and I won't know. I can find it online if I know when to look. I'll be hooked if it is him - that'd make for some FANTASTIC tv!!!!

Ride Report: Canada North to South 2008 here
Drive Report: Ice Road Trucking 2005-2014 here

squonker screwed with this post 06-11-2013 at 07:18 PM
squonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:20 PM   #1849
Tip Over
Whoopsie!

Oddometer: 995
Quote:
Originally Posted by squonker View Post
Good God man, you nearly gave me a heart-attack! Art is just the kind of character they'd put on the show, but the promotion pics show someone I don't recognize (not sure whether that's good news or bad!) The new guy is called Art Burke apparently, I don't know what 'my' Art's surname was but I do still think about him occasionally and wonder whether he's still up there.

But I don't know...from the one pic they have of him it is hard to tell, and he's wearing a hoodie too...maybe it is him! Oh boy, someone has to let me know when the new series starts because I don't have a telly and I won't know. I can find it online if I know when to look. I'll be hooked if it is him - that'd make for some FANTASTIC tv!!!!
Season premiere is June 23.

Quote:
Without his own family, Art “Art Attack” Burke raised himself from a young age and made the road his family. For the last several years, he’s spent his winters running the Yellowknife diamond mine roads. This season, he’s accepted an invitation to join Hugh’s company and try his hand at the Winter Roads. Used to operating solo, he’ll have to prove himself to his tough new boss.

Couldn't find any photos without the hoodie though. From the episode synopsis, I've pulled relevent bits

Episode 1
Quote:
With loads needed to be hauled for their half million dollar contract, VP bosses Hugh Rowland and Vlad "The Mad Russian" Pleskot agree to keep struggling new hire Art Burke aboard. But they bring in new ice road hopeful Todd Dewey to keep freight moving and put pressure on Art to perform.
Episode 2
Quote:
VP Express finally delivers their first loads of the season, but after a heated confrontation with owners Hugh Rowland and Vlad Pleskot, new hire Art Burke falls behind the bosses on the way back home. When his truck breaks down hundreds of miles from Winnipeg, Art suddenly finds himself stranded and alone.

-----------------

I'll start looking up ripped stills from the episodes as soon as it airs, see if there's a better shot of him.
Tip Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:43 PM   #1850
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Old 06-11-2013, 11:15 PM   #1851
gsd4me
90% bluff

Oddometer: 7,137
Quote:
I'll be hooked if it is him - that'd make for some FANTASTIC tv!!!!

Why is that? Aren't these reality shows contrived and scripted? The reason this thread has gone so well and for so long is because there was no BS and you told it like it is. I'm sure a lot of us are hanging out to see whether you go up there again and can continue your posting.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...uild+australia
gsd4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:01 AM   #1852
ChazCable
Mechanic

the season already premaired, you can find it online, that guy Art seemed to have the same personality as "you're" Art when I went back and read a few posts after watching the show
Old 06-12-2013, 06:06 AM   #1853
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsd4me View Post
Why is that? Aren't these reality shows contrived and scripted? The reason this thread has gone so well and for so long is because there was no BS and you told it like it is.
Because Art is such a character. Although the danger is all contrived and the show is edited in such a way as to add drama, the personalities are real and Art has a lot of personality!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazCable
the season already premaired, you can find it online, that guy Art seemed to have the same personality as "you're" Art when I went back and read a few posts after watching the show
Did he have a strong East Coast accent? The Art I knew could be hard to understand at times, his accent was so strong. And he spoke at approximately 300 km/h! I'll see if I can find that episode online - thanks.

Old 06-12-2013, 07:42 AM   #1854
ChazCable
Mechanic

Very strong, sounded like newfoundland or Cape Breton, he said b'y alot so im figgurin either or, more leanin to Newfoundland cuz Capers got a bit more mainland accent then us newfies
Old 06-13-2013, 06:20 AM   #1855
gsd4me
90% bluff

Oddometer: 7,137
Quote:
Did he have a strong East Coast accent? The Art I knew could be hard to understand at times, his accent was so strong. And he spoke at approximately 300 km/h! I'll see if I can find that episode online - thanks.

They need an Aussie up there to add to the drama; trouble is they would probably have to use sub titles whenever he opened his mouth.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...uild+australia
gsd4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:30 AM   #1856
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

I have met a few Aussies up there on that job. Tried to watch the show on History Channel's website yesterday but they want me to sign up for something I'm not prepared to sign up for so I think I might have to skip on this series. I'm not web savvy enough to know of any free tv sites.

Old 06-13-2013, 06:36 AM   #1857
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,682
It is 90 and 90% humidity here. More ice pictures please.

Rod
ragtoplvr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:41 PM   #1858
ChazCable
Mechanic

This is the site I use Ben, http://watchseries.lt/serie/ice_road_truckers
Old 06-13-2013, 04:32 PM   #1859
Unique458
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazCable View Post

Hey Chaz thanks for the link .
Unique458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:04 PM   #1860
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,572
Quote:
I have met a few Aussies up there on that job.
I can't imagine how they survived the cold. They must have looked like Kenny from South Park.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: