ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2013, 04:32 PM   #31
FlagRS
Gone to the Dogs
 
FlagRS's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: N. AZ
Oddometer: 1,176
My needs are simple - good work (enterprise) and personal e-mail, SMS messaging, a weather app and a personal checking account register app. Everything else can be done on a laptop or at my desktop in the office. I like the simplicity and durability of the Blackberry and I do like the keyboard. My wife has an iPhone 4S and we have an android tablet used primarily for reading so I'm familiar with those platforms.

As I get older bigger and better doesn't seem to be as much of an issue for me. I just need a durable device that communicates quickly and efficiently, I don't want to live on my phone.
FlagRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:08 PM   #32
Hannda OP
Short, fat, bearded, slow
 
Hannda's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Not yet far enough away from town
Oddometer: 27,812
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlagRS View Post
My needs are simple - good work (enterprise) and personal e-mail, SMS messaging, a weather app and a personal checking account register app. Everything else can be done on a laptop or at my desktop in the office. I like the simplicity and durability of the Blackberry and I do like the keyboard. My wife has an iPhone 4S and we have an android tablet used primarily for reading so I'm familiar with those platforms.

As I get older bigger and better doesn't seem to be as much of an issue for me. I just need a durable device that communicates quickly and efficiently, I don't want to live on my phone.
Agreed. Wife loves her iPhone but I find it uncomfortable to talk on - but that could just be the case she has it in. I've never heard of the checking account app. That sounds interesting. Will have to Google that here in a second.
Hannda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:48 PM   #33
FlagRS
Gone to the Dogs
 
FlagRS's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: N. AZ
Oddometer: 1,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannda View Post
I've never heard of the checking account app. That sounds interesting. Will have to Google that here in a second.
Mobile Checkbook - I've been using for several years, easy way to record transactions in the field. Not sure if it works on the new 10s.
FlagRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:06 AM   #34
Hannda OP
Short, fat, bearded, slow
 
Hannda's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Not yet far enough away from town
Oddometer: 27,812
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlagRS View Post
Mobile Checkbook - I've been using for several years, easy way to record transactions in the field. Not sure if it works on the new 10s.
Thanks.
Hannda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:49 PM   #35
Hannda OP
Short, fat, bearded, slow
 
Hannda's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Not yet far enough away from town
Oddometer: 27,812
I love the BB, but was introduced to the Samsung Galaxy Note II on the plane yesterday. Wow. Don't even need my reading glasses with that bad boy. Might need a brief case to carry it in, but . . . wow! That thing could eliminate the desire for an iPad + cell phone with just the one package.
Hannda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:09 PM   #36
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer
 
NikonsAndVStroms's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: The Hub of the Universe
Oddometer: 38,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannda View Post
I love the BB, but was introduced to the Samsung Galaxy Note II on the plane yesterday. Wow. Don't even need my reading glasses with that bad boy. Might need a brief case to carry it in, but . . . wow! That thing could eliminate the desire for an iPad + cell phone with just the one package.
Have you tried the Galaxy S4 yet? The screen is only half an inch smaller and is higher resolution (720 VS 1080). Personally I think the note 3 which should be ~6 inches is my next phone.

Oh and it turns out a friend of mine has the Q10, I didn't get to ask her too many questions because we were in a rush but she loves it so far.
__________________
Motorcycles save lives


"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:16 PM   #37
Hannda OP
Short, fat, bearded, slow
 
Hannda's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Not yet far enough away from town
Oddometer: 27,812
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post
Have you tried the Galaxy S4 yet? The screen is only half an inch smaller and is higher resolution (720 VS 1080). Personally I think the note 3 which should be ~6 inches is my next phone.

Oh and it turns out a friend of mine has the Q10, I didn't get to ask her too many questions because we were in a rush but she loves it so far.
Now I'm going to have to make a decision.
Hannda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:42 PM   #38
BigIron
Tenured Prof - Leghump U.
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Oddometer: 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannda View Post
Now I'm going to have to make a decision.
I actually tried the Note when it first came out. I liked it quire a bit at first, but it was (for me) a hassle to carry around. Around the house it was great.

After the Note, a couple of BBs, and a couple of iPhones, I'm going to try a Q10. The Blackberry platform just seems to work for me. The old UI was sort of annoying, it looked like it'd be drawn by 3rd graders with crayons. But the form factor and efficiency were great.

I really won't know until I groffle one in the store, but it's looking good for the Q.
BigIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:57 PM   #39
RocketJohn
Hook em' Horns!
 
RocketJohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2002
Location: Denver Metro
Oddometer: 11,330
iOS7 is good reason.
RocketJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:41 AM   #40
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2005
Oddometer: 4,328
my personal take on bby's keyboard: it could be improved. I'm a fan of having direct access to the period, and the at sign, amongst other things. I'm pretty quick w/ it anyways, but these are little things I notice when I'm spewing along.
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:19 AM   #41
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber
 
Sniper X's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
Oddometer: 33,308
If you buy the BB you'll turn Gay. If that's OK with you, then I have exhausted all my reasons for you personally to not get it.
__________________
" The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes decide everything."
Straight Out Da Trailah!
Sniper X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:20 AM   #42
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber
 
Sniper X's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
Oddometer: 33,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post
Have you tried the Galaxy S4 yet? The screen is only half an inch smaller and is higher resolution (720 VS 1080). Personally I think the note 3 which should be ~6 inches is my next phone.

Oh and it turns out a friend of mine has the Q10, I didn't get to ask her too many questions because we were in a rush but she loves it so far.
S4 will probably be my next phone. I got the Moto triumph when it has the biggest screen and am hooked on bigger screens.
__________________
" The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes decide everything."
Straight Out Da Trailah!
Sniper X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:43 AM   #43
Emperor Norton
Kilroy was here
 
Emperor Norton's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: North of Alcatraz
Oddometer: 1,186
I was interested in the BB then saw its eco system (er lack thereof) and went with a Galaxy S4. Its a nice upgrade from the iPhone 4s, but has a few issues with things not working quite right (its the AT&T version).
__________________
Pics of whatever/where ever http://joee.smugmug.com
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure.
Emperor Norton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 04:13 PM   #44
Hannda OP
Short, fat, bearded, slow
 
Hannda's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Not yet far enough away from town
Oddometer: 27,812
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveShaft View Post
my personal take on bby's keyboard: it could be improved. I'm a fan of having direct access to the period, and the at sign, amongst other things. I'm pretty quick w/ it anyways, but these are little things I notice when I'm spewing along.
Hit the space bar twice in a row and you get a period. I like being able to hold my finger on a letter and having it become a capital, and not having to "shift" then hit the letter to get a capital.
Hannda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 04:14 PM   #45
Hannda OP
Short, fat, bearded, slow
 
Hannda's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Not yet far enough away from town
Oddometer: 27,812
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
If you buy the BB you'll turn Gay. If that's OK with you, then I have exhausted all my reasons for you personally to not get it.
I'm old, fat, ugly, poor and married. If the BB turns me gay no one will know or care.
Hannda is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014