User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 274 votes, 4.96 average. Display Modes
Old 06-12-2013, 03:48 PM   #3361
sailwing2003
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 398
I might suggest that no one leaves open the black water tank valve, ever! What is likely to happen is all the liquid that goes into the toilet will drain out of the tank, and any more solid matter will pile up in the tank. Much has been written about containing the black tank stuff, with or with out tank treatment products added. Then when you need to or want to dump, do so. Followed by the flushing of the tank, and then dumping the grey tank to clean the dump hose.

When we know we are getting ready to travel, we try to have some warm soapy shower water in the grey tank to flush the hose clean, and then still use the tank flush system if we have one.

For your drive way camping kids, their use of the toilet should not be a problem. The drive to your camp ground is going to do a good job of mixing anything in the black tank into stuff that should be easy to dump when you arrive.

1998 Foretravel 36' Unicoach 295
Just sold the 08 GSA Adventure
sailwing2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 04:16 PM   #3362
hppyfngy
not dead yet

Oddometer: 4,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailwing2003 View Post
I might suggest that no one leaves open the black water tank valve, ever! What is likely to happen is all the liquid that goes into the toilet will drain out of the tank, and any more solid matter will pile up in the tank. Much has been written about containing the black tank stuff, with or with out tank treatment products added. Then when you need to or want to dump, do so. Followed by the flushing of the tank, and then dumping the grey tank to clean the dump hose.

When we know we are getting ready to travel, we try to have some warm soapy shower water in the grey tank to flush the hose clean, and then still use the tank flush system if we have one.

For your drive way camping kids, their use of the toilet should not be a problem. The drive to your camp ground is going to do a good job of mixing anything in the black tank into stuff that should be easy to dump when you arrive.

This is how I see it too.

'13 KLR 650 For Sale!
'07 KLX250s
hppyfngy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 04:22 PM   #3363
TheOtherBart
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,900
Awesome, thanks for the info!
TheOtherBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:14 PM   #3364
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 3,781
Also, one can throw a couple bags of ice in the toilet before driving. The cubes will hit the walls and dislodge anything that's there, then melt to pour out the sewer hose.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:40 PM   #3365
nwgs OP
solarfied

Oddometer: 32,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot12 View Post
Also, one can throw a couple bags of ice in the toilet before driving. The cubes will hit the walls and dislodge anything that's there, then melt to pour out the sewer hose.

Yes a proven method, I used one of these in my camper that worked well.

My current Rv has an internal built in sprayer.

When staying at an Rv park for awhile I let the tanks fill before dumping.

Some folks put their paper in the wastebasket rather than down the chute, my wife does. I use it a a regular toilet and have never had problems but I use the internal sprayer regularly.

The List
nwgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:09 PM   #3366
TigerLilly
Rat Catcher

Oddometer: 1,331
Quote:

+1

RR Big Bend NP - DEC 2010
RR TL Goes North: Canada June 2011
TigerLilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:00 AM   #3367
RedRocker
Native Texican

Oddometer: 5,533
Our TT is stationary, black tank dumping is a chore since it never moves. We've started putting our paper in a waste basket to help with the process.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:23 AM   #3368
svs
All Hands on Deck!

Oddometer: 24,515
This is better than dealing with yer black tank...

If a physical fact can produce a psychological state, a psychological state can produce a physical fact... The whole of creation is asleep within the deep of man and is awakened to objective existence by his subconscious assumptions.

svs screwed with this post 06-13-2013 at 10:32 AM
svs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:54 AM   #3369
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot12 View Post
I second this. Used to do this regularly with the Wanderlodge and never had any odor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:06 AM   #3370
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwgs View Post

Some folks put their paper in the wastebasket rather than down the chute, my wife does. I use it a a regular toilet and have never had problems but I use the internal sprayer regularly.

A lot of people religiously use RV-specific poo paper. Personally, I just use regular paper although I do avoid the really plush quadruple-layered stuff.

I think that a lot of this advice boils down to how often you use and empty the loo. I am a full-timer and live in my RV daily. For an RV that sits unoccupied you want to make sure there is plenty of water in the holding tank and that you empty the tank before putting the vehicle in storage.

Plenty of water is important. Bluebird plumbed the bathroom sink - normally a gray water item - into the black water tank.

You'd be surprised at how common sewer odors and how to avoid them are - a lot of folks ask for advice. It's a little embarrassing but it happens.

Also, if the odors aren't going away, check to make sure that the vent on your roof isn't clogged.

Old 06-13-2013, 11:11 AM   #3371
KSJEEPER
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,355
Quote:

Yup, its like pooping in a skillet 2 foot drop, plop onto dry surface. Repeat. You now have 'coning'
KSJEEPER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:27 AM   #3372
DC2wheels
Castle Anthrax troll

Oddometer: 2,438
We have one of these- Flojet macerator pump

Hooks onto the grey/black water outlet. An ordinary hose (NOT the drinking water hose!) then attaches and the other end goes into the toilet in your home.

Turn it on and bombs away....

Works really well. And the blue fitting lets you back flush both tanks
http://k11og.org/forum/index.php world-wide K bike forum

DC2wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:39 PM   #3373
nwgs OP
solarfied

Oddometer: 32,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by svs View Post
This is better than dealing with yer black tank...

You can keep that and I'll take 6 beautiful Country Coaches for the same price.

The List
nwgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:43 PM   #3374
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwgs View Post
You can keep that and I'll take 6 beautiful Country Coaches for the same price.
Or a pair of Newells. One for me and a second one for the staff ;)

Old 06-13-2013, 03:45 PM   #3375
PirateJohn
Banned

On a little more practical subject, I ran across this. A fiberglass Airstream. Anyone know anything about the Integrity models?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: