ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2013, 10:47 AM   #31
MrMorgan
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Dot approved tubes?

I see lots of discussion about tube sizes, what to carry for a spare, etc., but can someone tell me if there is such a thing as a DOT approved tube for street use? I took the rim down to my local dealer to mount a 110/80 R19 shinko 705 and they say they only have dirtbike tubes, no DOT approved. So I started calling other dealers and two more have said they have to order a tube in. This includes the Triumph dealer (it's off my tiger). I find it hard to believe three dealers dont have a tube to fit. Do i just tell them to throw a "dirt bike tube" in?
MrMorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:34 PM   #32
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMorgan View Post
I see lots of discussion about tube sizes, what to carry for a spare, etc., but can someone tell me if there is such a thing as a DOT approved tube for street use? I took the rim down to my local dealer to mount a 110/80 R19 shinko 705 and they say they only have dirtbike tubes, no DOT approved. So I started calling other dealers and two more have said they have to order a tube in. This includes the Triumph dealer (it's off my tiger). I find it hard to believe three dealers dont have a tube to fit. Do i just tell them to throw a "dirt bike tube" in?
Are they talking about a radial tube to go with a radial tire? I put about 20,000 miles on a R1100GS with a bent rim, radial tire and bias tube. When radial tubes first come out, the rubber compound was a tiny bit different, then we just made the radial versions a little bit heavier and then in passenger type tubes, the bias versions were discontinued.

Again, this is my only my opinion, but I would put a regular tube in and not worry about it. The bigger question is why do you want to put a tube in it? Or does it not have a tubeless rim?
dwj - Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote