Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2012, 10:16 PM   #16
FlyingFinn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gato View Post
Yeah well... I didn't say it was perfect, but bar risers are do-able.
I stand corrected.
Old 06-04-2012, 02:51 AM   #17
LTCOliverNorth
Peeping Tom

Oddometer: 773
Perhaps the kit has changed, but my GorillaZilla mount purchased 2 years ago had an indent on the pin-tower for stock height, or for use with 1" bar risers.

If you wanted stock height you simply cut the tower at the mark, if you wanted to use 1" bar risers, then you wouldn't cut anything.
2002 Ural Patrol T
LTCOliverNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:17 AM   #18
El Gato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 609
I'd read about that before buying the kit, but I didn't see any such mark on the pin tower on the kit I received. I didn't cut anything, and it fit perfectly with no risers. That said, (as I mentioned previously) the pin itself is very long and I had it in as low as it will go, so I'm sure the pin itself could easily be raised enough to accommodate 1" risers.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:17 AM   #19
ConTeacher
DirtBikeStuff.net

Oddometer: 181
Are the GorillaZilla mounts for Scotts Dampners still available?

Yes, I'm resurrecting an old thread...

I have a Scotts dampner that's been in a box for a year or so. If I can get a mount for it, I may as well put it on my 1200GS. I tried to email GorillaZilla and a guy in ZA who reportedly makes the mount kits, but the GorillaZilla servers bounced the email and I never got a response from the guy in ZA (waited 3 weeks). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

http://ConTeacher.whereamiriding.com
ConTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:39 PM   #20
El Gato
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConTeacher View Post
Yes, I'm resurrecting an old thread...

I have a Scotts dampner that's been in a box for a year or so. If I can get a mount for it, I may as well put it on my 1200GS. I tried to email GorillaZilla and a guy in ZA who reportedly makes the mount kits, but the GorillaZilla servers bounced the email and I never got a response from the guy in ZA (waited 3 weeks). Any help would be greatly appreciated.
GorillaZilla appears to have gone out of business several months ago.
Old 06-14-2013, 01:24 AM   #21
NZRalphy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Why fit one. Never had a wobble. Hold the bars for gods sake and stop thinking you need some BS piece of equipment. Rebuild or replace your shocks should fix it.
NZRalphy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 05:53 PM   #22
ConTeacher
DirtBikeStuff.net

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZRalphy View Post
Why fit one. Never had a wobble. Hold the bars for gods sake and stop thinking you need some BS piece of equipment. Rebuild or replace your shocks should fix it.
Thanks for your input. However, It doesn't really address my question.

Old 06-14-2013, 06:19 PM   #23
ZachZ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
FWIW, I had F800gs and it felt very like it had a lot of wobble on the highway and loose off road so I put a Scott's damper on it and the bike improved. Ultimately, the F800gs wasn't for me so I bought a '12 12gs. The 12gs is awesome and I have taken it on road trips and deep into the woods. I initially thought I needed the steering damper because of my experience with the 800gs but after 1 yr I haven't once felt like I needed that damper. The ride is solid. There's a reason production kits aren't offered for the 12gs model; it doesn't need it. Don't wast your money. Spend it on another farkle.

Don't protect yourself by a fence, but rather by your friends.
ZachZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 06:00 AM   #24
El Gato
Studly Adventurer

Does it need one? No

Will it benefit from one? Hell yeah.

My GSA was so stable, I also didn't think it needed one. However, I had one sitting around from a prior bike so I installed it anyway since it only cost me a new mount. I was very surprised by how big a difference it made.
Old 06-15-2013, 06:52 AM   #25
ConTeacher
DirtBikeStuff.net

Ok you two, don't make me stop this thread...

I agree that the 1200GS doesn't NEED a dampner. My XR650R needed (and has) a dampner fitted.

I've got a Scotts sitting in a box. If I can put it on the GS for a few bucks - I'm willing to try it. I live in the desert and ride a lot of deep sand. I know a 21" front wheel would be of more benefit, but I don't have a spare hub laying around.

Now, back to the original question. Does anyone know of a vendor who is still in business and makes/carries a mount kit for the 2005 R1200GS that utilizes the Scotts/Ohlins rotary dampner?

ConTeacher screwed with this post 06-15-2013 at 06:58 AM
Old 06-15-2013, 08:01 PM   #26
HunSolo
Mad Monk

Oddometer: 347
Inmate Rbott (Underground Machine) offered to make a custom Scott's mount kit for my HP2e as the one he regularly produces won't work with my NRP triple clamp. He produces quality products at reasonable prices. He might fill the void for the GS if asked.
HunSolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 11:59 PM   #27
psychohawk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
hp2e is different front end than the GS ... Scott's makes a kit for that bike

Scott's does not make a kit ... I was there last week ... it's not made because of lack of R&D time as related specifically to the GS and the bike's lack of a traditional backbone frame, thusly difficulty with frame/pin placement. While there myself and one of their mechanics/sales guys took several measurements, looking for a semi-compatible top clamp from another bike/brand that could be engineered to work ... no luck!

I've been unable to source an alternative that uses the Scott's damper and I too have a freshly rebuilt unit sitting in a box. I'm contemplating machine-shop time to have a upper clamp made.

Finally, I believe GPR does make a kit for their damper and GS combo, but I have not yet researched cross compatibility.

Carl
Old 06-16-2013, 06:24 AM   #28
ConTeacher
DirtBikeStuff.net

Carl, Thanks for saving me a trip next weekend. I was going to ride over to Montrose and ask the same questions.

Old 06-16-2013, 06:50 AM   #29
psychohawk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConTeacher View Post
Carl, Thanks for saving me a trip next weekend. I was going to ride over to Montrose and ask the same questions.
No worries ... I spent about 45 min at the shop that day and from what I was told, the predominate reason for no kit is simply too much work and lack of R&D time ... suffice to say, if enough people were to start bothering them they'd probably look into it again though they would likely start w/ the GSW and not go backwards through the model.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:07 PM   #30
ConTeacher
DirtBikeStuff.net

Possible Vendor Found!

I've been corresponding with a guy named Gavin Morton from South Africa. I wire transferred $150.00 (plus a $35.00 fee my bank charged) for a Scotts compatible mount. I'll post pics when it shows up.

According to the tracking information provided, the mount is in Johannesburg, SA and was "Insert item into bag Out" at 11:14 today.