Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2013, 02:52 AM   #16
FJRCraig
WooHoo!

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcing View Post
WOW !!!!
fabulous :) and it is on my route to Aberdeen :)
Is there a direct path/route to get on the bike ? or only on foot ?
I decided that I will start from Glasgow area and going straight to Aberdeen to visit my friends over here. and from there (next day) I will start the proper route to John O'Groats and next along the west coast as you could see on my map on the first post.
It's a 5/10 minute walk from the car park.

If you are visiting the castle, and it's a nice day, Stonehaven harbour is worth a visit. Couple of nice pubs right on the harbour front. Good for lunch and/or a pint!
Old 05-21-2013, 05:44 AM   #17
marcing OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
I'm just reading something about Scotland West Coast and thinking about scenario: Heading from north to get to Ullapool and take a ferry to Stormway. Explore island and next day back from Tarbert to Uig (Isle of Skye). Ride around Skye and direct my self to Fort William and continue the trip.
Disadvantage of this solution is that I will loose Applecross and whole route from Ullapool to Applecross if you look at my trip map in the first post.
Or maybe another scenario to keep my route over the land and from Fort William move on through Oban to Tarbert and more to south to get ferry to Islay and Jura and from there back to Glasgow similar way ?

So I'm not sure is it a right move but I'm also limited with the time and I know that I can't see anything during this trip.

Second option is - to keep my first route and go back to Scotland in the future to explore only islands.
What you guys are thinking ?
marcing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:04 AM   #18
tekebird
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
we did Edinburgh castle.

it was neat but is sort of tourist trappy. and if you do go don't bother waiting in line to see the Scotish crown jewels.....took a lot of time when we were there ( raining so a lot of people wanted inside)

not worth it in my opinion......much better stuff to spend your time on looking at.
tekebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:16 AM   #19
marcing OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekebird View Post
we did Edinburgh castle.

it was neat but is sort of tourist trappy. and if you do go don't bother waiting in line to see the Scotish crown jewels.....took a lot of time when we were there ( raining so a lot of people wanted inside)

not worth it in my opinion......much better stuff to spend your time on looking at.
As I said - this is motorbike trip. I'm not very focused on the exploring the castles... Maybe I will quickly visit one somewhere around Aberdeen and if anything else will be on my route (or close to it) I will just pop up for photo.
I would like to take some nice panoramic photos. To explore the castles I can easy visit Scotland in the future in the car without helmets, leathers ect.
My goals are Aberdeen and John O'Groats. If not those I would spend more time on the south west and west coast.
I start from Glasgow so nothing below is on the route.
Old 05-22-2013, 06:02 AM   #20
tekebird
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Might consider staying in porters on skye. Few good places to eat there. Pretty little town. We stayed in a b&b but there were people tenting up on the green by the castle/watchtower remnants.......if camping I would certainly stay there......close to stuff and neat view of harbor and town. Postcard type of shot.
tekebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 01:01 AM   #21
marcing OP
Adventurer

Guys - I would like to thank you for all replies. I back from Scotland last Thursday.
Unfortunately it was not enough time to visit Hebrides. If I didn't need to go to Aberdeen then it would be ok.

Short map from my trip: http://goo.gl/maps/UNLGa

The best road was that tight and snake road from Applecross going towards Isle of Skye. Also following road from Skye to Oban was superb.

I highly recommend place called "KINLOCHEWE CARAVAN CLUB SITE - IV22 2PA" to stay for a night. All facilities so clean so something you can see the same in hotel room.

And I never recommend campsite in BALLOCH near Glasgow. There is a campsite off the Stirling Road. DONT GO there. Unfriendly and not very clean. There is a big sign saying NO NOISE after 10pm. I was sitting with my friend by the tent around 11pm and the owner of the site came to us and said that we are too laugh. First I thought this is a joke but this guy wanted to kick us out. We were just talking even without a laught. And the house of the owner is located on the other side of the campsite behind mobilehomes (and the place is quite big). Next day I asked people who were tenting about 20m-100m away from us and everyone confirmed that they didn't hear any noise. SO AVOID.
Also there is place in Balloch which is cleary signed as a campsite but when you get there the lady in reception tells you that in this year they don't accept tents.. Place name: Lomond Woods Holiday Park.

Finally some photos: https://picasaweb.google.com/1006902...eat=directlink
Old 06-12-2013, 02:36 PM   #22
pip_muenster
curious

Oddometer: 427
Thanks for the feedback. I just realized it would be a good idea to have a short trip these days, and Scotland is on the list of possible destinations.
Old 06-14-2013, 01:51 AM   #23
catweasel67
Still a B.A.N

Oddometer: 8,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcing View Post
Guys - I would like to thank you for all replies. I back from Scotland last Thursday.
Unfortunately it was not enough time to visit Hebrides. If I didn't need to go to Aberdeen then it would be ok.

Short map from my trip: http://goo.gl/maps/UNLGa

The best road was that tight and snake road from Applecross going towards Isle of Skye. Also following road from Skye to Oban was superb.

I highly recommend place called "KINLOCHEWE CARAVAN CLUB SITE - IV22 2PA" to stay for a night. All facilities so clean so something you can see the same in hotel room.

And I never recommend campsite in BALLOCH near Glasgow. There is a campsite off the Stirling Road. DONT GO there. Unfriendly and not very clean. There is a big sign saying NO NOISE after 10pm. I was sitting with my friend by the tent around 11pm and the owner of the site came to us and said that we are too laugh. First I thought this is a joke but this guy wanted to kick us out. We were just talking even without a laught. And the house of the owner is located on the other side of the campsite behind mobilehomes (and the place is quite big). Next day I asked people who were tenting about 20m-100m away from us and everyone confirmed that they didn't hear any noise. SO AVOID.
Also there is place in Balloch which is cleary signed as a campsite but when you get there the lady in reception tells you that in this year they don't accept tents.. Place name: Lomond Woods Holiday Park.

Finally some photos: https://picasaweb.google.com/1006902...eat=directlink

Oi! part of the deal in coming here and asking for help should be posting a ride report, with pictures, in the appropriate section so get to it soldier!!
Guns don't kill people, people kill people but people with guns manage to kill more people than people without.
catweasel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:38 PM   #24
ricochetrider
a certain something

Oddometer: 1,726
Dunnett Head- furthest point North on the UK mainland. Not far from John O-groats. Was up that way, staying at a house near Kyle Of Tongue a couple years back. Tongue Hotel is pretty decent for food & drink.

Actually, I had a fricking fantastic cheeseburger in Thurso- at a little sort of fancy schmancy restaurant called Le Bistro. Fresh local beef, local cheddar cheese- man it was GOOD! Also their smoked haddocK chowder was really great.

If you get down that way, La Mirage in Helmsdale has really great fish & chips. Tiny little out of the way place but they have great F&C.

If you like Indian food, the Rajah in Inverness ROCKS.
ricochetrider is offline   Reply With Quote