User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2013, 02:29 PM   #121
adventurerideraus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Not sure!! My topo map is on the SD card in the GPS. Do I need to transfer the map manually?
adventurerideraus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 03:33 PM   #122
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventurerideraus View Post
Not sure!! My topo map is on the SD card in the GPS. Do I need to transfer the map manually?
No, don't move the maps. I thought you might have had the dvd maps. SD maps are ready to use.
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:45 AM   #123
adventurerideraus
Adventurer

Received my City Navigator (CN) SD card today. Comparing the CN to TOPO in the area where we drove last weekend (remember I couldn't see some of the dirt roads we were driving on) it is clear that the TOPO maps shows allot more details like other smaller tracks.

I guess it all comes down to what I will see on the actual gps screen when I'm out there driving, not when looking through Basecamp. Will head out this weekend testing both maps and hopefully with the latest modifications you helped me with I have more luck.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:22 AM   #124
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Hey Jerry, listen up.

Cross posted to the Montana thread but just as relevant here:

I wonder if, when using Mapsource, the problem of losing track visibility and track colours changing when the items are transferred to the Montana (or Oregon/Dakota/62/78) might not be an issue if you do as the organizers of the DS ride I'm on did: they used Mapsource to set the visibility and colours, then sent the file out and as long as we just copied that gpx file into the Montana, (I think) the visibility remained and so did the colour.

So effectively, you could use MS to do the route/track planning, do not transfer through Mapsource, save to a gpx file and copy that to the Montana (or Oregon/Dakota/62/78) and Bob's your uncle.

I don't have time to test that right now but it would be worth trying.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:33 AM   #125
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Received my City Navigator (CN) SD card today. Comparing the CN to TOPO in the area where we drove last weekend (remember I couldn't see some of the dirt roads we were driving on) it is clear that the TOPO maps shows allot more details like other smaller tracks.

I guess it all comes down to what I will see on the actual gps screen when I'm out there driving, not when looking through Basecamp. Will head out this weekend testing both maps and hopefully with the latest modifications you helped me with I have more luck.
It's too bad you bought that on sd as well as you'll have to stop and switch cards each time to use the alternate. Can you exchange it? The sd cards are convenient, but I don't think it makes sense to buy all your maps on sd for that reason.
Old 06-14-2013, 03:04 PM   #126
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Cross posted. I wonder if, when using Mapsource, the problem of losing track visibility and track colours changing when the items are transferred to the Montana (or Oregon/Dakota/62/78) might not be an issue
Saw it. I think Garmin fixed the problem. I saw the color change issue last year on borrowed 78, but my new one does not do it.
Old 06-14-2013, 03:07 PM   #127
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
The sd cards are convenient, but I don't think it makes sense to buy all your maps on sd for that reason.
Since my R & R & Topo are downloaded to internal memory, What is downside for me to get CN on card and not have to fiddle unlock and download crap?
Old 06-14-2013, 03:38 PM   #128
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,291
The maps on uSD can't be updated. You have to buy new uSD with the updated maps.
On the plus side the uSD maps can be used in any GPS that takes the card.
Old 06-14-2013, 05:50 PM   #129
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 250senuf View Post
The maps on uSD can't be updated. You have to buy new uSD with the updated maps.
On the plus side the uSD maps can be used in any GPS that takes the card.
That is about what I thought.

I am much more worried about updated maps in my Nuvi for my motorhome for finding gas motels etc. I think I only have 2010 now. $85 is not a big deal for the convenience of pay and play. I am so far on the wrong side of Gore's digital divide that all the posts about unlocking maps is just something I want to avoid.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:52 PM   #130
adventurerideraus
Adventurer

Quote:
It's too bad you bought that on sd as well as you'll have to stop and switch cards each time to use the alternate. Can you exchange it? The sd cards are convenient, but I don't think it makes sense to buy all your maps on sd for that reason.
Is it possible to download the content from one of the cards to internal memory of the gps so I don't need to switch cards?
Old 06-19-2013, 03:59 AM   #131
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Is it possible to download the content from one of the cards to internal memory of the gps so I don't need to switch cards?
Sorry, no. It's just not possible to use the data off the original card.