Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2013, 09:22 PM   #541
alekkas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
CX500. I was 20 years old. First real street bike (coming from motocross). My wife (girlfriend at the time) was comfortable on the back, it was a logically well-thought out bike, and it could tour due to the rack. Found it boring. Next summer got a KZ1000 and never looked back. She thought the ride was less than comfortable buzzing around at high speeds. Married me anyway.

.... course, that was in the late 80's

Why do I keep thinking I'm gonna wind up in a love / hate relationship with a Guzzi?
alekkas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:45 PM   #542
James Adams
Not a Texan

Oddometer: 8,067
Not a road warrior, but a 2006 KTM 300. Plenty of power once you get the revs up, great handling and suspension, but it just felt kind of gutless and pedestrian after my CR480R. The KTM is moving on to a new owner and the 480 is going to get some investment in the suspension.

Aprilia RXV. Holy vibration batman. The explosive power up high (with nothing below 5k RPM, of course), close ratio 5-speed gearbox, and beautiful yet retarded swingarm design that prevented any sane regearing made it useless on both the street and the trail.

Finally, a BMW K1200RS. Went like a cruise missile, handled better than it should have for its weight, but the buzzy bars were not compatible with my physiology. What a letdown--i should have kept the naked Duc that I traded for it.
James Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:38 AM   #543
McJamie
STROMINATOR

Oddometer: 1,301
99 Concours.
Bought it because I thought I needed a touring bike. I still need a touring bike, just not that P.O.S.
Overweight, top-heavy, crap suspension, less legroom than my VStrom, and no where near as much power as a 1000/16v motor should make. The reason it has such a huge tank is because it has such horrible fuel mileage.
Seriously disappointed.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:28 AM   #544
Milosh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
Eh? Outer Limits...

This is going to sound weird. But I replaced my 2009 BMW G650X-Country with a 2008 after getting in a wreck with the 2009. Since then, I have not been able to "connect" with the 2008, and it's not significantly different than the 2009 except for the color and seat height. Of course, the 2008 (the bike now) has the stalling issues that I only experienced once on the 2009 in the 10,000 miles I had on it for the year I rode it. I barely ride the 2008...comparatively speaking.
Milosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:02 PM   #545
VanXR
nOOb/NooB/noob/NOob/NOOB/

Oddometer: 364
Harley Night Train

2003 Harley Night Train. Always wanted a Harley since I was a kid. Finally able to plunk down cash for a new Night Train. Loved the blacked out look, drag bars, seat, paint, etc.
Drove it for 5500 miles and sold it. What a POS for ME on any trip over 100 miles.
1978 TT500 (Original owner); 07 Yamaha WR450 street legal;03 XR 250 street legal (Mrs. XR)
VanXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:41 PM   #546
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac57 View Post
Not bashing, I have 3.
Worst thing on any of them is the seat.

If they just carved them from balsa or pine instead of oak it would be better.
WVhillbilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:50 PM   #547
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,856
I thought the CB750 Nighthawk I bought was going to be a great all-around street bike, given the specs. Good standard ergo's, nice low-to-no maintenance 4cyl, good power, good enough suspension...

I never thought a motorcycle could be boring, but Honda proved me wrong. It has about as much personality as a blender, though I think I like my vita-mix more... Fortunately they're still popular so I'll be able to get out of it for what I have in to it.
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:47 PM   #548
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 1,843
I have 2

BMW K1200LT-Thought I wanted a touring bike. After the BMW what I want is a small touring bike. Wide, heavy, too damn tall even with my 32" inseam and ate final drives for breakfast. Traded it in on a Suzi GSX650F

2nd Gen Ninja 500-Love my Ninja 250 so I thought the 500 would be more of a good thing. Nope. Wacky ergos, strange vibes from the engine, and only average mpg for a 500. I'll keep my 250 thank you very much
Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:23 AM   #549
Tyrian
Dr. T. Strudel

Oddometer: 16
Hah, my BMW...

K100RS - I knew it was going to be a heavy bike, what I didn't know it was unreliable with horrible electronics. Glad I ditched that one.

Bike I regret selling:

GPZ500S (EX500) - that bike was pure awesomeness.
Tyrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:56 AM   #550
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Oddometer: 1,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrian View Post
Hah, my BMW...

K100RS - I knew it was going to be a heavy bike, what I didn't know it was unreliable with horrible electronics. Glad I ditched that one.

Bike I regret selling:

Guess there's something for everyone. Jimmy the Heater had a 500 and didn't like it. Sure am glad that companies make more than one model...tomp
Old 06-14-2013, 04:35 AM   #551
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer: 6,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by McJamie View Post
99 Concours.
Bought it because I thought I needed a touring bike. I still need a touring bike, just not that P.O.S.
Overweight, top-heavy, crap suspension, less legroom than my VStrom, and no where near as much power as a 1000/16v motor should make. The reason it has such a huge tank is because it has such horrible fuel mileage.
Seriously disappointed.
Right there with you.

I hated my '93 unless I was on a trip to see my parents in KC, 1,400 miles away from home.

Guzzled gas, not much power, and it finally blew up. In the 5 years I had it, only put 30,000 miles on it. Not even a carb rebuild by SISF and repeated syncs put my mileage up where it belonged.

My experience with Kawi's OEM parts for that bike are why I will never own another Kawasaki.

I'm riding a 2007 GSX-R 1000 for my daily commute now which varies between 40-100 miles and I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!

40mpg vs. 32mpg. The Gixxer drops to about 37-38mpg if I'm riding at Ludicrous Speed. I cannot even conceive of the kind of Mayhem and Foolishness I would have to engage in on the Gix to hit the mileage I got on my ZG1000.

derek

http://azbiker.smugmug.com

Got SmugMug? If not, save some cash and use my code: McYdbycdcvM5Q
AZbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 04:41 AM   #552
DELTATANGO
Motorcyclist and Dog Walk

Oddometer: 13,531
Motor Patrol on a Dyna Defender.

I hated that fucking thing.

Describing a motorcycle as pedestrian is damning.
DELTATANGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 04:44 AM   #553
Super Sneaky Steve
B@nned Club :D

Oddometer: 4,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrian View Post
I had one too. Great bike. I put new springs in the front and a shock in the back. To my ears, it had the best sounding motor too.
Super Sneaky Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:24 AM   #554
ZZ-R Rider
Captain Fantastic

Oddometer: 394
2006 Suzuki S50 Boulevard (formerly VS800 Intruder) ... bought from co-worker in 2007 with very low kilometers for a ridiculously low price ... as an up-grade from my original 2003 LS650 Savage ... lovely looking Bike, but quickly developed a dislike for the S50 ... the "engineering abortion" that is the battery compartment on the VS800 drove me BAT-SHIT!! ... didn't like the fact that the pegs were mounted to a rigid frame that ran under the Bike and if leaned over far enough had no give and could result in an up-set (never happened to me, but again an example of poor engineering ...). Servicing air filters for each of the two carburators was a chore and a half too (more poor engineering). Wasn't fussy about how this motorcycle would make my shoulders ache after an hour of Riding and the Bike was completely "characterless" as well ... sold it the following year and temporarily rode another LS650 (an '05 S40) for a few years ...

Oddly, I now have a recently acquired 2006 VT750DC Spirit and though very similar to the VS800, the Honda is a delight to own and Ride compared to the Suzuki!
Old 06-14-2013, 08:33 AM   #555
Disco Stu
I'm Barry F'n Gibb!!

Oddometer: 5,220
Aprilia Futura. I absolutely loved this bike, except for non-adjustable windshield. This bike was fantastic for short jaunts, but any time at speed and the airstream from the windshield hit right at the bottom of my helmet, lifting it up and straining the retention strap against my jaw.

I recently sold it, hoping that the new Caponord may lead to a new Futura with some adjustability.
Disco Stu is online now   Reply With Quote