Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2013, 05:49 AM   #16
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Oddometer: 3,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by coach03860 View Post
They had a few Demo GSW's outfitted with the new lights at Americade last week. I rode two of them (a red and a silver bike on 2 separate days) but of course it was in broad daylight so I have no idea what the lights are like at night. However they sure do look cool from the front even in the day light...if that matters.

Was looking for that so much hyped difference between the new GSW and my 2012 GS...but never really found it aside from some new "Bells and Whistles" and it does shift somewhat smoother. In the end however, I am very happy to be sticking with my '12 GS with Wilbers set up specifically for my size/weight and the Madstad windshield as it sure handles a lot better than either of those stock ASA GSW's did. Expecting to be flamed any minute now...Cheers coach
I won't flame you, but really man, that's not the only difference between the two motorcycles.
That you WANT to see it this way, yes ok fine by me.
NLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 07:59 PM   #17
Cyotee01
GSnoob

Oddometer: 14
I see a few videos where the LED running light (perimeter light) is flashing.
Is that:
1. programmable on the GSW
2. effect of video taping an LED light
3. Aftermarket plug in option somewhere
4. European model... or any other ideas?

I have a 2014 GSW & would like the added visibility.
Cyotee01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 09:53 PM   #18
Ravedigger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyotee01 View Post
I see a few videos where the LED running light (perimeter light) is flashing.
Is that:
1. programmable on the GSW
2. effect of video taping an LED light
3. Aftermarket plug in option somewhere
4. European model... or any other ideas?

I have a 2014 GSW & would like the added visibility.
#2. The flash rate of the headlight doesn't line up with the framerate of the video.
Old 07-06-2014, 03:24 AM   #19
LordSmoke
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 345
I avoid riding at night, so I have limited experience. I was out once and found the low beam pointed too far down to ride comfortably over, say, 30mph. However, I have since learned that from the factory they are aimed for a heavy load and switching to the normal position fixes this. Haven't tested.

The high beam did thrw out some good light. My only concern, exacerbated by the downward low beam, was that the high doesn't cut off immediately - it fades out - quickly, but slowly enough I had to anticipate and switch sooner than I would have liked for oncoming traffic.

I expect that with a properly aimed low beam this will be less bothersome for all.
2014 BMW R1200GSW
LordSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 03:57 AM   #20
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,261
Only road by daylight that thing so can't comment but think about the resale value that it'll ad to your bike. Personnaly wouldn't buy one without
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 05:54 PM   #21
apleschu
Chief Cat Herder

Oddometer: 190
The LED light is the first light I ever had on any motorcycle that does not let me wish for something better. At night the road is lit very brightly and very clear. It would take a lot of conventional lights to come even close. I would say a very unscientific opinion it is about s powerful as 4 normal h4/h7 bulbs. At least that's how it felt when we we were on the road with our high beams on and the fog lights on as well. I do nt need any more light than the GSA provides.
Old 07-07-2014, 08:14 PM   #22
JohnWa
Smoke Shifter

Oddometer: 32
I've owned a lot of bikes as well, and this LED is the best light on any of them. It makes the green and white or blue and white state highway signs just "glow" at night. Remarkable lighting when combined with the LED fog lights. Seem to be able to see a wider angle, too, like in the ditches.
JohnWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:48 PM   #23
gofast1320
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 657
Led

My 2014 1200GSA WC has the LED and I'm thinking it is pretty awesome. I had an F800GS with some LED driving lights and just the LED headlight on my 1200 lets me see more at night than the F800.
I've been very impressed with the range, pattern and clarity of the LED light on the GSA. The driving lights that came on the new bike add a whole nother dimension. The way they light up the road shoulders is a fantastic help with all the critters around here at night especially deer.
The only animal I've ever hit at night was on the F800 and I center punched a possum in the last 2 miles of a 135 mile ride at 1 in the morning.
Bottom line is I'm really glad I got the LED on my new GSA. I've had it 3 weeks and 3 days and already have 1540 miles on it.
gofast1320 is offline   Reply With Quote