ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2013, 07:16 AM   #61
Voz
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Voz's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia
Oddometer: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazgab View Post
This is my thought, I will have to check mine to be sure.

I just installed both the lower and upper SW-MOTECH guards and shame on me for not checking earlier, I thought the light bar was included with the upper guards (thats how it sounded when Twisted Throttle got their set). Sucks to have finally finished the wiring and not be able to mount the lights. I had to do the wiring twice basically as the Skene IQ-175 controller I purchased didn't work with my application.
Exactly what I thought too. I have lower and upper SW Motech bars on my LC and did not get the light bar included. Every pic on the SW Motech website shows the lights mounted onto the bars using the light bar.

http://shop.sw-motech.com/cgi-bin/co...ypid=101566129

I think it is a reasonable expectation to get the fricken light bar!

Gonna have words with the local distributor. PITA.
__________________
Sydney, Australia

2013 R1200 GS WC
Voz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:10 AM   #62
Bazgab
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Bazgab's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Raleigh, NC
Oddometer: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voz View Post
Exactly what I thought too. I have lower and upper SW Motech bars on my LC and did not get the light bar included. Every pic on the SW Motech website shows the lights mounted onto the bars using the light bar.

I think it is a reasonable expectation to get the fricken light bar!

Gonna have words with the local distributor. PITA.
I was pretty upset to put it mildly, everything I saw had the light bar on it as well on all the pre-production photos.
Bazgab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:19 AM   #63
NLS
My bike needs washing...
 
NLS's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: GREECE!
Oddometer: 2,902
I have to say... riders have many different ideas how a motorcycle should be.



Lights on forks: Wouldn't survive a day on my bike. It is a dual-sport bike ain't it? Last time I checked.

Sheepskin for 1000 mile days.
20kg boxes to carry half a house.
With quick release, although many never ever remove them even if they go to work two blocks from home (or for a coffee...).

Anyway.

Customization and taste are of course something subjective.
Question is: Do you guys buy the right tool for the job really? Or just what you like more and then tweak it to become something else? (curious now - no insult intended or anything)
__________________
NLS
My Blog
When the going gets tough, the tough get going...
NLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:35 AM   #64
Bazgab
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Bazgab's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Raleigh, NC
Oddometer: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS View Post
Customization and taste are of course something subjective.
Question is: Do you guys buy the right tool for the job really? Or just what you like more and then tweak it to become something else? (curious now - no insult intended or anything)
Let me ask you a question, is there anything in this thread that you have seen to be out of the norm for these types of bikes? All I see is mostly protection pieces, luggage, and aux lighting, all of which are useful. Granted I am not one of those people who will be running around with large side panniers everywhere, but I do find that a tank bag and a top box are the minimum I need for commuting.

People love to tweak/customize their vehicles, it is as simple as that.

Update on light bar: I contacted the vendor I got my SW-MOTECH bars from and made them aware of the issue of the photos being misleading. I was given a discount on the light bar, so I am not totally SOL.
Bazgab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:59 AM   #65
iride4u
Gnarly Adventurer
 
iride4u's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2013
Location: Loveland, Colorado
Oddometer: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
How do you have the lights mounted on the forks?
Currently using the Fender mounting bolt hole but I have some T washers that I will be installing to relieve the stress on the plastic.
iride4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:02 AM   #66
iride4u
Gnarly Adventurer
 
iride4u's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2013
Location: Loveland, Colorado
Oddometer: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS View Post
I have to say... riders have many different ideas how a motorcycle should be.



Lights on forks: Wouldn't survive a day on my bike. It is a dual-sport bike ain't it? Last time I checked.

Sheepskin for 1000 mile days.
20kg boxes to carry half a house.
With quick release, although many never ever remove them even if they go to work two blocks from home (or for a coffee...).

Anyway.

Customization and taste are of course something subjective.
Question is: Do you guys buy the right tool for the job really? Or just what you like more and then tweak it to become something else? (curious now - no insult intended or anything)
Clearwater will be coming out with a two piece clamp that goes around the fork tube and allows you to mount the Darlas in front of the forks.
iride4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:59 AM   #67
NLS
My bike needs washing...
 
NLS's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: GREECE!
Oddometer: 2,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazgab View Post
Let me ask you a question, is there anything in this thread that you have seen to be out of the norm for these types of bikes? All I see is mostly protection pieces, luggage, and aux lighting, all of which are useful. Granted I am not one of those people who will be running around with large side panniers everywhere, but I do find that a tank bag and a top box are the minimum I need for commuting.

People love to tweak/customize their vehicles, it is as simple as that.

Update on light bar: I contacted the vendor I got my SW-MOTECH bars from and made them aware of the issue of the photos being misleading. I was given a discount on the light bar, so I am not totally SOL.
Well as I said it is subjective. What seems extreme for one, seems normal for someone else. I think I am in the wrong thread to take this further.
__________________
NLS
My Blog
When the going gets tough, the tough get going...
NLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:40 AM   #68
GSAnderson
Wandering Swede
 
GSAnderson's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2001
Location: Moosylvania
Oddometer: 2,535
This came yesterday. Just like Christmas!



First the brake covers.



Rear brake fluid reservior guard.



Radiator guards.



Cylinder head covers.



Hand guards. The color of the inserts actually match the paint better than the photo shows.



GPS mount and my old 276C.





iPod remote.



Tankbag.



That's it until the backordered stuff from Touratech arrives.
GSAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:10 AM   #69
Voz
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Voz's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia
Oddometer: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS View Post
I have to say... riders have many different ideas how a motorcycle should be.



Lights on forks: Wouldn't survive a day on my bike. It is a dual-sport bike ain't it? Last time I checked.

Sheepskin for 1000 mile days.
20kg boxes to carry half a house.
With quick release, although many never ever remove them even if they go to work two blocks from home (or for a coffee...).

Anyway.

Customization and taste are of course something subjective.
Question is: Do you guys buy the right tool for the job really? Or just what you like more and then tweak it to become something else? (curious now - no insult intended or anything)
Mmmm, a lot of preconception and generalisation in that post.

Here is some generalisation right back at ya.


What bike would you suggest is suitable luggage & lights or are you suggesting a 4WD truck?

Last time I checked this bike is built to take a load, about 200Kg/440Lb incl rider. I think it is the perfect transport for loading up with shit and cruising. I am 120Kg and my daily luggage is about 30Kg. The bike runs and handles fine, I would not even know the luggage was fitted (or that I am an overweight pig).

I see a lot of bikes with luggage mounts but no luggage fitted. I always remove excess luggage if I don't need it on the bike, it is no hassle and makes complete sense. I simply must have a tank bag & 46L top box fitted to ride to work everyday but the topbox comes off on the w/e and club rides.

Nothing wrong with lights on forks if you need more light, derp. Inexpensive to replace and the least thing to be worrying about if they get bumped in a drop or accident which is unlikley for most riders, I would posit.
__________________
Sydney, Australia

2013 R1200 GS WC
Voz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:18 AM   #70
NLS
My bike needs washing...
 
NLS's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: GREECE!
Oddometer: 2,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voz View Post
Mmmm, a lot of preconception and generalisation in that post.
True. I also said that such things are subjective.
I would say that some of the GS owners would be WAY better off with an RT or a GT though (or another brand altogether).

Curious (if you can say in public) what kind of daily luggage is 30kg?
(maybe it's your work tools or something, but I am curious)
__________________
NLS
My Blog
When the going gets tough, the tough get going...
NLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:29 AM   #71
Voz
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Voz's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia
Oddometer: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS View Post
True. I also said that such things are subjective.
I would say that some of the GS owners would be WAY better off with an RT or a GT though (or another brand altogether).

Curious (if you can say in public) what kind of daily luggage is 30kg?
(maybe it's your work tools or something, but I am curious)
Sex toys, don't leave home without them...
__________________
Sydney, Australia

2013 R1200 GS WC
Voz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:00 AM   #72
Stinez
Rhymes with Heinz :D
 
Stinez's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Nor Cal
Oddometer: 47,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSAnderson View Post
This came yesterday. Just like Christmas!

Tankbag.



That's it until the backordered stuff from Touratech arrives.
Questions:

Are there good mounting points on this bike for the Wolfman tank-bag?

Are the straps soft enough to prevent painted parts abuse?

(I ask because I'm considering the Wolfman expedition lite because the dealer hasn't seen the small GS tank bag I've ordered.)
__________________
.

The GOP puts the "Con" in Conservative.
Stinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:36 AM   #73
NLS
My bike needs washing...
 
NLS's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: GREECE!
Oddometer: 2,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voz View Post
Sex toys, don't leave home without them...
Wow man, these must be some really heavy duty sh*t.
Drills etc.

__________________
NLS
My Blog
When the going gets tough, the tough get going...
NLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 05:55 AM   #74
Emoto OP
Sure, why not?
 
Emoto's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: SE Mass
Oddometer: 17,884
Got the Jesse Odyssey bags mounted up last night. The task was FAR easier than on the '05.

Will snap some pics, if it ever stops raining.
__________________
Eventual Master of the Obvious
2005 R1200GS | 2013 R1200GSW | SOHC4 208 | DoD 2032 | BMWMOA | BMWRA | YB
Proud walking jingle in the midnight sun.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:43 PM   #75
wabtklr
Adventurer
 
wabtklr's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Gallup, NM
Oddometer: 69
Jessies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
Got the Jesse Odyssey bags mounted up last night. The task was FAR easier than on the '05.

Will snap some pics, if it ever stops raining.
I mounted mine last night too.....
__________________
People sleep peacibly in thier beds at night because rough men stand ready to do harm on there behalf. George Orwel
wabtklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014