Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2013, 11:18 AM   #271
JeffS77
cheap bastard

Oddometer: 3,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMike View Post
Used to watch him race sprints and midgets around So Cal, hell of a driver. RIP Lefturn.
Yup he was a local from Long Beach.

Oddly I worked with Ultra Motorsports and left a few seasons before he started driving for them. Then went on to work at a team that eventually aquired a few of the Ultra/Leffler #7 Sirius cars. No real connection but kind of a small world.
JeffS77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:51 PM   #272
MotoMike
Washed Up Desert Racer

Oddometer: 4,916
Just watched a short video of wing cars at that track, man that is a big place. They quit running at Syracuse because they were going too fast, I think the same holds true for Bridgeport, it looks like they are just going too fast.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:20 PM   #273
Motorcyclist
Drag a Bag!

Oddometer: 3,273
I love watching those winged sprint cars, but they are capable of amazing speeds and horrific looking crashes.

My condolences to his family and friends, by all accounts Jason was a class act.
Motorcyclist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:07 AM   #274
pbarmy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreck™ View Post
I raced Modifieds at Bridgeport in the 80's & 90's and it is a scary fast 5/8 mile track.

Danny Lasosky's time trial lap last night was 16.46 sec. 136.66 MPH
Did you ever race at Flemington?That was a cool place I visited several times when it was dirt.Another scary 5/8ths.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:33 AM   #275
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,656
His last ride:

Seems like those cars should have window nets?
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:37 AM   #276
Wreck™
Wreck™

Oddometer: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarmy View Post
Did you ever race at Flemington?That was a cool place I visited several times when it was dirt.Another scary 5/8ths.
Flemington was where I started driving as a teen in the late 70's, it's also the only track at which I got upside down. A very fast and unforgiving track it was.

I was there for the ISMA Supermodified race the first year that it was paved, they were scary fast.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:42 AM   #277
Wreck™
Wreck™

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
His last ride:

Seems like those cars should have window nets?
You have to wear arm restraints in NJ.

The Delaware County, PA coroner reported the cause of death as a blunt force neck injury.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...ascar/2421945/
Old 06-14-2013, 09:23 AM   #278
larryboy
Paint it black.

Quote:
You have to wear arm restraints in NJ.

The Delaware County, PA coroner reported the cause of death as a blunt force neck injury.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...ascar/2421945/

Yeah, something got in there with him and killed him...window nets stop that from happening.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:02 AM   #279
Wreck™
Wreck™

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
Yeah, something got in there with him and killed him...window nets stop that from happening.
Actually window nets are there to keep the drivers arms inside the cage. Nascar mandated them in 1970 after Richard Petty's arm was injured in a flip.

Old 06-14-2013, 12:14 PM   #280
MotoMike
Washed Up Desert Racer

Sprints and midgets, at least when I was driving, required arm restraints, a "Head net" on the right side of the cage to keep your head from getting outside the cage, and a screen to keep objects from hitting you in the face. I don't remember the drivers name but a guy got a dried mud ball in the face at Perris 10 or 12 years ago, crushed his face pretty bad.

I believe the Head net was conceived after Rich Vogler was killed when he slapped the wall with the right side of the car and his head stretched outside the cage. It wasn't a super violent hit, but he got far enough out that he hit his head on the wall or a pole or something.

The reality is the cages are so small it doesn't take much to get outside when you crash, the body can stretch incredibly when forced to do so.

One night at Ventura (sprint cars) my buddy crashed on the front straight and got his bell rung pretty good. Someone had video of it, and when we watched it, after a couple of flips and rolls the car came down hard and flat on the left side. You could clearly see him stretch and his head impacted the dirt.
Old 06-14-2013, 01:14 PM   #281
Wreck™
Wreck™

Quote:
Sprints and midgets, at least when I was driving, required arm restraints
dirt.
As far as I remember arm restraints in cars that don't use window nets have been required by New Jersey State rules since at least 1979 when I started driving.

The NJ State Police have a Motor Vehicle Racing Control Unit that mandates and inspects safety rules at the tracks. There was always a trooper in the pits, when entering the track you would have to hold your arms in the air so that the inspector could see gloves and restraints, if you weren't wearing them they would not let you out.
Old 06-14-2013, 01:34 PM   #282
MotoMike
Washed Up Desert Racer

Quote:
As far as I remember arm restraints in cars that don't use window nets have been required by New Jersey State rules since at least 1979 when I started driving.

The NJ State Police have a Motor Vehicle Racing Control Unit that mandates and inspects safety rules at the tracks. There was always a trooper in the pits, when entering the track you would have to hold your arms in the air so that the inspector could see gloves and restraints, if you weren't wearing them they would not let you out.
Wow, I had no idea they had a cop in the pits. Nothing like that out here. They teched us once at the beginning of the season, after that I guess we were on the honor system, because I don't recall anyone ever checking anything after that.
Old 06-14-2013, 01:54 PM   #283
Wreck™
Wreck™

Quote:
Wow, I had no idea they had a cop in the pits. Nothing like that out here. They teched us once at the beginning of the season, after that I guess we were on the honor system, because I don't recall anyone ever checking anything after that.
The NJ State Police have been enforcing safety rules since the 60's, they pretty much forced USAC to require roll cages on the champ cars back then.

With recent budget cuts I'm not sure that they still require a Trooper at the track these days, until the 90's when I stopped racing it was a requirement.

Having a cop with a gun around really cuts down on fights in the pits
Old 06-15-2013, 08:47 AM   #284
NC-Okie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,798
First off I am a Bad Brad fan but dam Brad shut up! Stop Bitching and Moaning and Drive.

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/hendric...ass-/12554491/
NC-Okie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:56 AM   #285
larryboy
Paint it black.

Quote:
Actually window nets are there to keep the drivers arms inside the cage. Nascar mandated them in 1970 after Richard Petty's arm was injured in a flip.

I understand the intent, the side effect is that the net keeps debris away from the driver in a crash.