Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2013, 07:02 PM   #16
homerj
742 Evergreen Terrace

Oddometer: 4,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavegel View Post
Use your back in a quick, jerky motion, take your legs completely out of the equation....

...or just do this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5k4U...endscreen&NR=1
You forgot the twisting. You've got to twist or it'll never come off the ground.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:10 PM   #17
pavegel
Adventurer Douche

Oddometer: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by homerj View Post
You forgot the twisting. You've got to twist or it'll never come off the ground.
My bad, thanks.

'06 KTM 950 Adventure S
'96 Toyota Landcruiser FZJ80
pavegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:42 AM   #18
MrSandman818
INaVANdownBYtheRIVER

Oddometer: 763
Im usually in panic/embasrrassed mode so I just yank mine up. Damn near get a hernia each time though. and Its always in a muddy rutted out section for some reason. But im also 27, 6'3, and my workout routine in the gym incorperates workouts that simulate lifting a 500lb orange pig.
1978 Batavus 48
MrSandman818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 11:06 AM   #19
LoneRhino
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Picking it up is hard, but getting it up and embankment is a crapshoot! How long does one of those warn winches run on a 990 battery? I had to haul my husaberg 20 feet up a steep embankment a couple of weeks ago in lose rock... That was a great workout... Damn those trees which hang in the trail with an argumentative attitude...

AMA / NCTR.net
“Someone once told me the definition of Hell: The last day you have on Earth, the person you became will meet the person you could have become.” – Anon
LoneRhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:15 PM   #20
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,120
By all means learn the proper way to pick your moto up. But if you simply cannot pick it up with the proper technique, you need to change to a moto that you can pick up. There are places in the country where waiting for someone to help you is no problem and then there are places that waiting is not safe!
dwj - Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:57 PM   #21
DuctTape
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoJones View Post
Picking it up is hard, but getting it up and embankment is a crapshoot! How long does one of those warn winches run on a 990 battery? I had to haul my husaberg 20 feet up a steep embankment a couple of weeks ago in lose rock... That was a great workout... Damn those trees which hang in the trail with an argumentative attitude...
Right the bike, start her up and she'll winch ya until you run out of fuel and If you're running the Safari tanks like I am that's a lot of winching. The great thing about the winch is if you're loaded up with 12 gallons of fuel and packed panniers you don't have to unload to get her righted. Work smart not hard!
2010 Ducati 1198S
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:10 AM   #22
deepsea rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
I was with you on that ride, the 20 minutes it took you to get your bike up gave me time to catch my breath after riding through that sand wash up to laguna Hansen. My 990 does not glide through that sandy section like my 530. Hopefully the new suspension will make a difference, it just felt like the 990 was following every groove in the sand not gliding over like the 530, then again the 530 does not weigh 500lbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdiver View Post
I have a tough time picking up my 990, particularly in the sand where I cant get good traction with my feet.

I was down in baja in a wash with the bike on the side. i could not get it up for the life of me. I ended up digging a trench that I slid the tires into. That tilted the bike upright some. I then would pick the bike up incrementally and jam my back pack under the bike gradually tilting it more and more. Finally it stood up in the hole I had dug. I then lifted the back tire somewhat up through the sand so that it was not so deep in the trench. Then got on, fired it up and rode off.

I hav got to say it was a ball buster in total.

DD
2012 KTM 990 ADV
Ride hard, eat good and Drink tequila.
deepsea rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:21 AM   #23
outbacktaz
outbacktaz

Oddometer: 488
He's a bit of a poser, that goes with the brand here, but I like his method... I never had to put this in practice, but this seems alright!!

Click here!!
To sin by silence makes cowards out of men! Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Peace is mostly valued by those who are sworn to protect it! Unknown
outbacktaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:35 AM   #24
kaptinkaos
Just some nOOb

Oddometer: 567
I really honestly think the 990 is easy to pick up... Even compared to a puny F650GSPD. The weight is so low in the bike that it's not much more difficult than picking up my 450 fitted with a 13L tank. Use the big pumpkin's weight to your advantage too... If you're on a hill, spin it on the footpeg to get it pointed 80% uphill. Make sure it's in gear and let gravity help you out, ;)

For sure lift with your back though and twist both ways while pulling hard. Also, use your forearms a lot and don't brace against anything. If you don't use that technique your friends will laugh at you!
'07 F650GS Dakar (Gone to a good home!)
kaptinkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:10 PM   #25
dirtdiver
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,982
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsea rider View Post
I was with you on that ride, the 20 minutes it took you to get your bike up gave me time to catch my breath after riding through that sand wash up to laguna Hansen. My 990 does not glide through that sandy section like my 530. Hopefully the new suspension will make a difference, it just felt like the 990 was following every groove in the sand not gliding over like the 530, then again the 530 does not weigh 500lbs.

Yes Deepsea, The funny thing was that I could hear you up ahead and after I first tried and failed to pick up my bike I figured you would eventually come back to help me out. I sat there and sat there. I could hear you in the distance struggling yourself. Finally I just said to myself two things. 1) if worse comes to worse I'll just camp here and 2) in the mean time I might as well see if I can't get it up one way or the other.

Good times!

DD
dirtdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:28 PM   #26
DuctTape
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptinkaos View Post
I really honestly think the 990 is easy to pick up... Even compared to a puny F650GSPD. The weight is so low in the bike that it's not much more difficult than picking up my 450 fitted with a 13L tank. Use the big pumpkin's weight to your advantage too... If you're on a hill, spin it on the footpeg to get it pointed 80% uphill. Make sure it's in gear and let gravity help you out, ;)

For sure lift with your back though and twist both ways while pulling hard. Also, use your forearms a lot and don't brace against anything. If you don't use that technique your friends will laugh at you!
Take it out in mud, throw it down (twice) and then tell me how easy it is.............

2010 Ducati 1198S
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:38 PM   #27
Dale950
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 954
I had a pain in one of my nuts after picking mine up the other week
Dale950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:35 PM   #28
kaptinkaos
Just some nOOb

Oddometer: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
Take it out in mud, throw it down (twice) and then tell me how easy it is.............

I have. Just to see how "hard" it was because I was hearing all these horror stories. It's not hard. Or my technique is just that good... I do crash a lot, though, and have had plenty of practice picking big bikes up, LOL!!!
'07 F650GS Dakar (Gone to a good home!)
kaptinkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:18 AM   #29
genghis9021
Arak Connoisseur

Oddometer: 237
Hilarious thread !

Tons of belly laughs !

I dropped mine twice on a long ride (12,000 miles). Once, near a 15,000' pass while I tried to get on it by pushing my leg over the 40" seat height (S model with extra high Renazco saddle) - hypoxic lack of balance and . . . timber.

Not even moving. Had to off load some luggage to get it up. Felt like a hyper-ventilating goof and just prayed some goat herder wasn't laughing his ass off at me in the distance.

Then, in the sand of western Mongolia at the rapid speed of <1 kph the front end caught sand and it rolled over. That really pissed me off. No traction, tired, alone . . . the only payoff, two Mongolian truck drivers whose vehicle was stuck in axle deep sand pissed themselves laughing at me. Figures, the only vehicle I saw that day in over 200 miles of riding, er, falling. Those guys had tears in their eyes laughing at me while I passed their truck. They might still be there !

Orange, it's the new black Tour.
genghis9021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:33 AM   #30
flei
queasy rider

Oddometer: 439
z-drag, my friend

You can use a z-drag if you have an anchor and you can rig it for up to a 6:1 ratio. These are common systems in rescue work. Many on-line resources. Cheaper, lighter, smaller and more versatile than a DC (or hand) winch.

You can buy an expensive one for $200+ (http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.asp?pfid=1818).

You can rig one up for about $25 at your local hardware store.

You can buy one, complete with brake, at Wally-world for $23 ( http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hunter-s-S...mbrel/15111189)