User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2013, 09:42 AM   #556
BrookTrout
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Hayabusa.

I bought a 2007 last year. I've only been able to put about 9000 miles on it so far, on trips to barely 10 of the 11 western states. The storage under the hump/seat is minimal. All I can fit in there is a multimeter, tire plug kit, electric compressor, jumper cables, electrical tape, fuses, factory took kit, craftsman ball-end allen set, vice grips, spare wire, screwdrivers, rags, a flashlight, extra gloves, and spare straps. In order to make it tolerable, I had to install heli-bars, a used Corbin seat, and a ZGST shield. This set me back almost $300. The fuel range is ridiculous. I can barely get to 200 miles before the low fuel light comes on, at which point I only have another 1.5 gallons. Mileage is pure suckage. If I travel at 90 mph, I barely get 46 mpg. If I'm on mountain roads where I average more like 60 mph, then I barely get into the mid-50's, with an all time high of 58 mpg. This is unacceptable for a bike that supposedly puts out 175 hp to the crank. Speaking of power, this thing is overrated. If I'm lazy, in 6th gear, going 60, it takes over 2 seconds to pass a car. I wish I had to down-shift more. They say it'll do 186, but I whacked it open once in the desert and barely got to 160 before I chickened out. It's not confidence inspiring at all. The worst thing is, in all my travels so far, I only met two other guys (in Buena Vista Colorado) on these torture machines. I could tell that their grins were totally painted on. I'd rather ride a bike that I see often, at every gas stop if possible... you know, like a Gold King! Speaking of torture, 600 miles is my daily record so far, but it wasn't bad, so I'm going to have to try harder to be more uncomfortable this year. One shouldn't be able to ride all day without discomfort. It's not right.

Huge disappointment.
BrookTrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:09 AM   #557
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Oddometer: 1,016
An interesting lament. It's a shame you bought such a piece of crap. Maybe you will choose better next time..
If you just want to get rid of it, let me know, I can take it off your hands and part it out on ebay. tp
Old 06-14-2013, 10:27 AM   #558
Super Sneaky Steve
B@nned Club :D

Oddometer: 3,849
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrookTrout View Post
Hayabusa.

I bought a 2007 last year. I've only been able to put about 9000 miles on it so far, on trips to barely 10 of the 11 western states. The storage under the hump/seat is minimal. All I can fit in there is a multimeter, tire plug kit, electric compressor, jumper cables, electrical tape, fuses, factory took kit, craftsman ball-end allen set, vice grips, spare wire, screwdrivers, rags, a flashlight, extra gloves, and spare straps. In order to make it tolerable, I had to install heli-bars, a used Corbin seat, and a ZGST shield. This set me back almost $300. The fuel range is ridiculous. I can barely get to 200 miles before the low fuel light comes on, at which point I only have another 1.5 gallons. Mileage is pure suckage. If I travel at 90 mph, I barely get 46 mpg. If I'm on mountain roads where I average more like 60 mph, then I barely get into the mid-50's, with an all time high of 58 mpg. This is unacceptable for a bike that supposedly puts out 175 hp to the crank. Speaking of power, this thing is overrated. If I'm lazy, in 6th gear, going 60, it takes over 2 seconds to pass a car. I wish I had to down-shift more. They say it'll do 186, but I whacked it open once in the desert and barely got to 160 before I chickened out. It's not confidence inspiring at all. The worst thing is, in all my travels so far, I only met two other guys (in Buena Vista Colorado) on these torture machines. I could tell that their grins were totally painted on. I'd rather ride a bike that I see often, at every gas stop if possible... you know, like a Gold King! Speaking of torture, 600 miles is my daily record so far, but it wasn't bad, so I'm going to have to try harder to be more uncomfortable this year. One shouldn't be able to ride all day without discomfort. It's not right.

Huge disappointment.
Super Sneaky Steve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:32 AM   #559
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 9,824
Quote:
Hayabusa.

Huge disappointment.

classic.

and does it really get 50 MPG??

Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:44 AM   #560
dmac57
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,580
[QUOTE=WVhillbilly;21630132
If they just carved them from balsa or pine instead of oak it would be better.[/QUOTE]

I thought it was the cement reinforcement...

Wait-

That was the original Multistrada.
dmac57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:47 AM   #561
dmac57
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdreamer50 View Post
An interesting lament. It's a shame you bought such a piece of crap. Maybe you will choose better next time..
If you just want to get rid of it, let me know, I can take it off your hands and part it out on ebay. tp

That's not nice.

dmac57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:51 AM   #562
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Wish I could have lamented the same way over several of my previous rides...
Old 06-14-2013, 12:13 PM   #563
TheBlurr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMC View Post
Any modern sportbike tha twists me up like a pretzel. I've just gotten to the point that I want comfort MUCH more than outright speed.
I bought one of my dream bikes in 09, a Duc 1198 with full Ohlins from Dan Kyle, and even rode a few before buying it including a 1098R. After about 1500 miles I knew it wasn't for me, I just couldn't do it anymore. I put couple thousand more miles on it and sent it off to it's new home in mid 11 and haven't looked back.
love my zx6r, it is a pleasure to ride and I am perfectly comfy riding on it all day.

Ninja 250, I really thought it would be great to save on gas so I bought one new in 03, peppy motor, light and handled well in traffic, felt like I was riding on a 4x4 and after a half hour I would have visions of riding it into a borrow pit and just leaving it.
Ducati 996, hands down one of the best looking bikes ever made, I had the chance to rock one at the track, and I couldnt wait to get off it, very boring powerwband IMO and I really didnt like the over the front wheel feeling.
Honda CBX 6 cyl motorcycle, my god that thing was freaky to ride, every corner I just waited for it to fall over uhggg.
Gonna add the Z1000 to that list, powerplant was fine, but the bike itself felt very unstable to me.

TheBlurr screwed with this post 06-15-2013 at 07:01 AM
TheBlurr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:18 PM   #564
BrookTrout
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta View Post

classic.

and does it really get 50 MPG??

Absolutely.

I get 46-48 all day long on the freeway. In the mountains, the mpg moves into the low-mid 50's.
BrookTrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 01:21 PM   #565
Skowinski
Chordate

Oddometer: 4,694
Quote:
Absolutely.

I get 46-48 all day long on the freeway. In the mountains, the mpg moves into the low-mid 50's.
04 Hayabusa here, and as BrookTrout indicated in his well constructed expose, it's crap. So stable and planted feeling that at 120 mph you could almost fall asleep. I want to feel like I'm going fast when I'm winding it up like that, not loafing along, barely into the throttle. Boring bike.

(mine has ranged between about 45 mpg and 55 mpg in all kinds of conditions, bone stock bike)

"Nature never hurries, yet everything is accomplished."
- Lao Tsu

In memory of Nika: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=990697
Skowinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 02:26 PM   #566
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 9,824
That's astonishing...... I never thought about it as being practical

silly me
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is

eatpasta screwed with this post 06-14-2013 at 02:38 PM
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 03:09 PM   #567
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skowinski View Post
04 Hayabusa here, and as BrookTrout indicated in his well constructed expose, it's crap. So stable and planted feeling that at 120 mph you could almost fall asleep. I want to feel like I'm going fast when I'm winding it up like that, not loafing along, barely into the throttle. Boring bike.

(mine has ranged between about 45 mpg and 55 mpg in all kinds of conditions, bone stock bike)
Had an 05 ZZR1200 that felt just like that at speed, but upper 30's was the best I got in MPG. Below 100 mph, the bike was a bore, and needed speed to feel right. tp
Old 06-14-2013, 07:07 PM   #568
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 1,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdreamer50 View Post
Guess there's something for everyone. Jimmy the Heater had a 500 and didn't like it. Sure am glad that companies make more than one model...tomp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Sneaky Steve View Post
I had one too. Great bike. I put new springs in the front and a shock in the back. To my ears, it had the best sounding motor too.

Hard to believe we are talking about the same bike. Yup, good thing there are other bikes to choose from. Glad they worked for you guys!
Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:53 AM   #569
Süsser Tod
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 864
I wanted a bike that was more touring capable than my XJR1300, that I've come to find is not very good at touring (but I love her dearl). It had to be a middle weight bike, good MPGs, reasonable power, etc. I took a long-ish trip on my XT660X (motard, thumper) and I really liked it, a wee bit more power would had been welcome but the thing that I never could stop thinking about were the tires, I don't want spoke wheels on long trips, I want tubeless tires that can be easily plugged.

I was leaning into an ADV Tourer. Cue in the bike that has been called a wannabe motard or a cheap Multistrada, the Kawasaki Versys 650.

Let the banghead begin

I was worried about the power, I wanted thumper like low end torks. It has got them, it packs a surprising punch for an itty bitty 650cc twin.

The suspension is surprisingly good! In fact, it does have better suspension than much more expensive bikes! Yep, it really doesn't suffer from a severe case of budgetitits like most bikes on that price range.

Weather protection is actually good for the minimalistic fairings, and the small windscreen actually works. I really have no clue as to how it works, but it does

It's comfy, but that was to be expected.

The MPGs and fuel range are extraordinary.

And that's it...

It's not the least bit engaging to ride. But the handling... The handling. I got it because everybody praised its handling... Uhm, no. It's light and flickable compared to a double deck bus, my XJR1300 that is 75lbs heavier handles better.
Süsser Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:45 AM   #570
Yamarocket630
Lurker

Oddometer: 395
01 Superhawk. Looked great, sounded great, uncomfortable, horrible mpg and a tiny tank. It also quite frankly was no fun unless you were flogging it and risking a ticket everywhere you rode.
Yamarocket630 is offline   Reply With Quote