ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2013, 10:23 AM   #16
BSchu
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Where do you see all of these honda's? At you your local repair shop would be my guess. Or on the side of road, kickstarting like a fool trying to get POS started. If you buy a honda u better think twice about bringing it where the temp will drop below 40 degree's.....because it will not start....$ pit valve train....
Take PcVance's advice on the KTM....u can actually work on them...they're carbs. are not Vice locked into the stupidest frame design EVER!
Old 06-13-2013, 10:27 AM   #17
Rick6 OP
Budweiser Enthusiast

Oddometer: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchu View Post
Where do you see all of these honda's? At you your local repair shop would be my guess. Or on the side of road, kickstarting like a fool trying to get POS started.
I've seen about 5-6 in the last 2 months cruising on the street. If I lived anywhere but Orange County where people are mortified to talk to a stranger, I would have tried to get the answer.
Rick6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:32 AM   #18
BSchu
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick6 View Post
i've seen about 5-6 in the last 2 months cruising on the street. if i lived anywhere but orange county where people are mortified to talk to a stranger, i would have tried to get the answer.

lol!!!!
Old 06-13-2013, 10:35 AM   #19
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 5,071
As usual, a lot of misinformation here. Unless Honda applied for and obtained a California Air Resources Board (CARB) certification for hiway use (on road) the bike cannot be legally plated in the state of California. PERIOD. Notice I said 'legally'.

The exceptions come from people finding someone that will error in issuing a plate for one that is not legally plate-able. Sometimes when moving into this state and transferring the title from another state to CA, they just process them through. The VIN Verification form (required on out of state transfer) has a box to check for the existence of a CA emissions sticker, the verifier checks it, signs it, enters their badge number and phone number. Even legally plate-able bikes have had trouble getting a VIN verification if that sticker is missing. A 50-state bike will state such and there is usually wording for CA state as well.

The CARB website lists all of the applications and certifications for on-hiway approved motorcycles - check it out if you don't believe me. KTM EXC's starting in 2007 has them for the 450/525 series. I had a 250 and the certifcation for greensticker is easy to find. There isn't one for on hiway. It costs the manufacturer/importer aproximately $35K PER MODEL to apply for these certifications. A good example of a screw up is BMW with their G450X - they neglected to apply for and get their CARB certification when the bike was introduced so they couldn't sell it in the hottest bike market in the world. Major screw up. The next year they got it, but the bike's reputation had already caught up with it (it's a POS) and by then no one would buy them unless they were deeply discounted. So they just chucked it in and gave the whole kit and kaboodle to husky to build the TE449/511 series. The G450X became an instant white elephant. The only honda dualsports that are legal are the 'L' models and the new CRF250.

I went so far as to create an emissions sticker for my 250, using the same format as it's bigger brothers. You couldn't tell it was a forgery, I'm pretty good with Illustrator. I know it would have passed inspection. And I got a lighting verification affidavit, and could have easily got a plate for it. The problem is the forged emmission sticker, if caught, is a felony. It wasn't worth going to jail for a license plate for a dirtbike. Not at my age, not with my dependents and responsibilities.

So the comments that 'there are lots of them that get thru' comes from the fact that lots of guys have gotten them, but there are many more that didn't and couldn't. They have it just as bad in WA state and they even went back and pulled thousands of them dealers put on when they weren't supposed to. Imagine how all those guys feel. WA is just as much of a nanny state as CA. Go read in their regionals about their plating headaches.

So yes, you can try to plate a 450X and you might very well get one. But you might visit a dozen DMV offices and get turned down as well. There used to be a few dealers that would get anything plated with your existing CA Title for a fee, usually $500, but all those guys have been busted already. Hence the advice to just get a KTM or a Husky and be done with it. Or a FE570, or seems to me a model or two of the Beta's can be plated. Or buy one with a CA plate already on it - that's how I got my WR250F with a plate. The original owner moved to Louisiana, plated it there, and when he brought it back to CA some DVM idiot transferred it. DMV has two files on that bike, one for offroad (it was a red-sticker in '04) and one for the hiway plate. That license plate is worth about a grand.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:47 AM   #20
scorpion
Two arm bandit

Oddometer: 5,385

You can plate a shriner's go-cart in NV
and ride it in CA

07 KTM 990 11 Husaberg 390
scorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:00 AM   #21
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion View Post
You can plate a shriner's go-cart in NV
and ride it in CA

Or a pair of roller skates in AZ.

There are LOTS of AZ plates here in Cali too. Comes with their own risks and hassles. Best bet is to get a AZ drivers license and register it with a friend or relative's address over there. If you get stopped here you're 'just visiting'. If you have a CA drivers licensed you'll get a fix it ticket to transfer to CA within 15 days. You need liability insurance to ride on the road as well - also gets sticky with AZ registeries for CA residents.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:58 PM   #22
pcvance
Walk Verplank

Oddometer: 5,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick6 View Post
That's exactly as I figured. Guess I'll just have to ask some guy on a CRF as I'm passing him on my KTM.

One twelve pack of Budweiser has been donated to my refrigerator in your honor
1. Glad you figured it out.

2. im also glad you are keeping the Budwieser for yourself.

Good luck in your search for a plated KTM.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:32 PM   #23
Rags
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
I believe there was a plated 450X sitting on the lot at BMW motorcycles of Riverside a couple of days ago. Used, for sale.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:19 AM   #24
Rick6 OP
Budweiser Enthusiast

Oddometer: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcvance View Post
1. Glad you figured it out.
Me too. The opinions here line up with the opinions I got elsewhere.
Possible (or likely if persistent) to plate? Yes.
Sketchy? Definitely. And no fool-proof way to say they won't pop you year after year. And you'll stand out.

Quote:
2. im also glad you are keeping the Budwieser for yourself.

Good luck in your search for a plated KTM.
Guess pretty soon I'll be ditching the Budweiser and sipping Blue Label with the rest of the KTM gentlemen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags View Post
I believe there was a plated 450X sitting on the lot at BMW motorcycles of Riverside a couple of days ago. Used, for sale.
I looked at their online inventory (just curious), and it isn't listed. Once they sell it they're going to find a way to wash their hands of responsibility if the plate gets yanked, I'm sure.
Rick6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 01:54 PM   #25
yellowbronco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
I have a buddy who registered his business in the state of Montana. The business owns some interesting vehicles. One of them is a 2012 KTM 250XC-W that has been converted for street use. Yep, a two-stroke streetbike! He doesn't abuse it, though. You won't find him riding around his local community on that bike with the Montana plate. It's just to keep the police from looking twice if he has to connect trails with some pavement.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:14 PM   #26
junglemototours
trailplug

Oddometer: 1,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Or a pair of roller skates in AZ.

There are LOTS of AZ plates here in Cali too. Comes with their own risks and hassles. Best bet is to get a AZ drivers license and register it with a friend or relative's address over there. If you get stopped here you're 'just visiting'. If you have a CA drivers licensed you'll get a fix it ticket to transfer to CA within 15 days. You need liability insurance to ride on the road as well - also gets sticky with AZ registeries for CA residents.
I call urban myth.
You can not have two driver's licenses....(it even looks funny spelled plural), but this is 'Merica goldamit! You can buy something in any state and register it there, you may or may not have a vacation home there, a relative, something that justifies having a bike in that state but whose business is that? When it's in Ca it's "just visiting"
junglemototours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 02:26 PM   #27
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

The ones I know of only have a AZ drivers license. If stopped in CA they are 'just visiting'.

If you have a CA DL and CA address and 'own' a motorcycle registered in AZ you'll get a fix-it ticket to transfer registration to CA within 15 days - state law.

It's all bullshit I know. Most of us just say fuck it and get a CA plated bike. End of issue.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:29 PM   #28
groop
So much to ponder

Oddometer: 3,220
Quote:
First of all AAA doesn't do out of state transfers on bikes AFAIK. If you are moving your residence the 7500 mile requirement does not apply, if not it does. And a CHP or DMV inspection is required for VIN verification and a 50-state EPA sticker must be on the bike. This last item is a stickler for anything not specifically registered with CARB for hiway use (street plated) here in CA.
AAA (in OC) did a VIN inspection/transfer on an old street bike I shipped in last year from the midwest. It is/was street legal. They do it all day long.

Not sure why they wouldn't do the same with a plated 450X unless the VIN flagged it as OHV-only.

edit: By the way, I read in this month's Westways magazine, that AAA is now able to issue green/red stickers as well.

groop screwed with this post 06-14-2013 at 03:17 PM
groop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 02:30 PM   #29
pcvance
Walk Verplank

Oddometer: 5,478
Quote:
The ones I know of only have a AZ drivers license. If stopped in CA they are 'just visiting'.

If you have a CA DL and CA address and 'own' a motorcycle registered in AZ you'll get a fix-it ticket to transfer registration to CA within 15 days - state law.

It's all bullshit I know. Most of us just say fuck it and get a CA plated bike. End of issue.
Per the last line,
Couldn't have said it better myself, Brownie.
Old 06-14-2013, 03:47 PM   #30
Jeff aka BOLT
Prefer Saturdays

Oddometer: 1,230
Quote:
Per the last line,
Couldn't have said it better myself, Brownie.
It's about money really... a CA plated bike can be very expensive... especially if it's factory plated... especially if you want a newer model. And if you are a 2-smoke lubber forget it.

My AZ bike stays in AZ most of the time of course...

It's a 2011 350SXF converted for mostly mountain goat use... Bike lightly used about $4K... new $6k. I know 350EXCs on the road that spilt $12k plus of blood.

Thats enough motivation to consider your grandma's spare bedroom as your semi-permanent vacation residence.

Guests are encouraged.
Jeff aka BOLT is offline   Reply With Quote