Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2013, 03:54 AM   #556
offworlder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsteiger View Post
For those with the stock tank, how far can you go without hitting reserve?
I've got a 2012 450RR, and was disappointed re the mileage (had to switch to reserve crazy early). Further inspection revealed that the stock petcock was extremely tall - as in over 6" tall ! I've since switched to a shorter one....
offworlder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:45 AM   #557
McKay
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 747
Quote:
Originally Posted by offworlder View Post
I've got a 2012 450RR, and was disappointed re the mileage (had to switch to reserve crazy early). Further inspection revealed that the stock petcock was extremely tall - as in over 6" tall ! I've since switched to a shorter one....
I found the same on the 520, shocked me when I stalled on the hiway but could still see half a tank of gas!

Might be a good thing for me though, when she stalls, its time to turn around or get fuel.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:39 PM   #558
rsteiger
Bob

Oddometer: 179
Well I did find out one thing that sort of shocked me but made sense.

All my riding was done in the north GA mountains and there were quite a few steep hills that we were riding on. At one point I just finished a rather long down hill section that was fairly steep and waited for the other riders near the bottom. I remember smelling gas when I got to the bottom while I was waiting.

Yesterday I got home and pulled the stock fuel cap and found out it does not have a check valve in it. It is fairly likely that I was loosing gas through the vent line.

So I was wondering how much could I have lost through the vent line. In the process installing my 3.8 gallon tank I put some fuel in the stock tank and tipped it forward to simulate going down a hill - it was flowing as much gas through the cap vent as the petcock.

I have a Tusk Cap with a check valve that I will be running with the new tank so I should be able to see if this is what was happening on the trail.
2001 GasGas XC250
rsteiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:45 AM   #559
JustRon
ex-broadwayron

Oddometer: 1,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsteiger View Post
I have a Tusk Cap with a check valve that I will be running with the new tank so I should be able to see if this is what was happening on the trail.
I just bought a Tusk cap for the 3.8 gal tank last week after I had a vapor lock situation with the crappy stock one (or, maybe it was the short vent tube?). Either way, the billet cap feels a helluva lot more stout than the plastic Clarke one. I'm going to use a plain vanilla vent tube, also (although, this is the first time I've ever had an issue with a short vent tube).
Old 06-14-2013, 08:39 AM   #560
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,600
I looked at the new Betas at the Durty Dabbers Nat'l 2 day dualsport a couple weeks ago and was intrigued. I would like to combine my DR650 and KTM 400 into 1 bike that crosses the 2 uses.

I am interested in the 520RS. What are the big differences between the RS and RR models besides the obvious turn sigs and horn stuff.

I read this entire thread from about the beginning of 2011. I saw someone post that his dealer steered him to a 450 RR over the RS and said to add the necessary stuff to get a plate. What is the reasoning? Just cuz he had it in stock or are there engine or chassis differences? Maybe stiffer springs or a hopped up motor?

I was concerned when I saw the words Titanium valves. Is that just the 350?

I know all about the RFS motors and mine has been wonderful. So I would not be afraid of an older one, but new just smells better.

I was going to try to find a 2007 525exc to do the "combine the bikes" trick but seeing the Betas a couple weeks ago got me thinking.

From reading the parts books for a few key answers, i found that the motors are counterbalanced.(good) I also found that the valves are shimmed. (not bad, but not as good as screw and nut adjusters IMO).

Sorry for all the questions, but this is one of the few places for this info.

Lastly when building my own Beta, what is everyone using for springs front and rear? I'm 200 lbs w/o gear?

Thanks, Rusty

edit: I just was reading a dealers site and noticed that the RR has 48 and the RS has 45mm forks. It looks like the shock might be different.

Can someone describe the 45 forks and can anyone compare the 2? I really think the RS is going to have to be the one because of licensing hassles in CT.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers

Rusty Rocket screwed with this post 06-14-2013 at 09:16 AM
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:43 PM   #561
atravlr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
Rusty, just go out and test drive a 520 and all your questions will be answered. Go to the American Beta web site and you can pick your own springs and shocks. You can call them for all your technical questions. Or call my dealer in CA, Dave at Get Dirty Dirt Bikes. He has a ton of info on every Beta. www.getdirtydirtbikes.com
atravlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 02:17 PM   #562
jcarlson9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
mods

after 5 rides on my 11,520 rs,im thinking of sending the carb to toyko mods.a fellow rider told me its a lot of money just to get it jetted,any comments.the next mod would be the trail tech vapor,however I heard they break a lot.does any one have one ?,thanks
jcarlson9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:53 PM   #563
atravlr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
I had a Trail Tech Vapor, it broke on me twice on my XR 650. I removed it and installed a Baja Designs analog speedometer. No problems with that at all.
atravlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 03:00 AM   #564
rsteiger
Bob

Oddometer: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlson9 View Post
after 5 rides on my 11,520 rs,im thinking of sending the carb to toyko mods.a fellow rider told me its a lot of money just to get it jetted,any comments.the next mod would be the trail tech vapor,however I heard they break a lot.does any one have one ?,thanks
I bought the JD kit to jet my carb on my '10 520 RR. Easy instructions and it has a number of jets and needles depending on your climate and elevation. Seems to be spot on based on the butt dyno. Will pull the plug after a few more rides and see what it looks like.

I think the kit was like $79.
2001 GasGas XC250
rsteiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:31 PM   #565
ballisticexchris
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 789
Quote:
Tokyo mods is worth every penny!! Your bike will run as well or better than a fuel injected one after the modification.

After they did mine I tried to stall it. You can whack the throttle from idle with no hesitation whatsoever. Don't bother with the Trail Tech. Just be happy with the stock computer...
2012 Beta 520RS PLATED!!
ballisticexchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:52 PM   #566
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballisticexchris View Post
Tokyo mods is worth every penny!! Your bike will run as well or better than a fuel injected one after the modification.

After they did mine I tried to stall it. You can whack the throttle from idle with no hesitation whatsoever. Don't bother with the Trail Tech. Just be happy with the stock computer...

I've subscribed to this thread in anticipation of getting a Beta for dualsport/enduro work.

I was inquiring a few things about the suspension differences a couple posts back. Can anyone elaborate. RR is plateable in CT after-all.

I was concerned when I saw the words Titanium valves. Is that just the 350?

also what is the Tokyo mod? Link please.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:58 PM   #567
PozoRider
Just Ride

Oddometer: 209
Quote:
2011 520rr, Stock carb, stock jetting, runs great @ sea level, in the Sierras, in Baja!
Dick's Desert Dash
American Beta
PozoRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:26 PM   #568
jcarlson9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Super moto !

Well I just ordered some rad wheels for my 520 rs.should get them in three weeks.should be awesome,ill post pics soon as they come in
jcarlson9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:36 PM   #569
alxndr13
Fair weather hoser.

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Well I just ordered some rad wheels for my 520 rs.should get them in three weeks.should be awesome,ill post pics soon as they come in
From where did you order? How much did they cost? What size did you order?
Curious minds inquire!

:-)

Alex
Bellingham, WA
alxndr13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:39 AM   #570
JustRon
ex-broadwayron

Oddometer: 1,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by offworlder View Post
When I filled up yesterday, I estimated Reserve to be roughly 1.4 gallons. That's ridiculous! Not a huge deal for me, since I have a translucent Clarke tank, but I don't like riding on Reserve... just a mental hangup.