User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2013, 07:17 PM   #76
Doogle OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 497

This is the church and memorial wall

[IMG"http://s846.photobucket.com/user/doogleadv/media/6-9-13Khabaroskybeach2.jpg.html" target="_blank"> photo 6-9-13Khabaroskybeach2.jpg[/IMG]
This is the beach.

Something changed on photobucket. I or I accidentally changed something. I just posted 1 picture and can't do another.

Doogle screwed with this post 06-12-2013 at 11:20 PM
Doogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:51 PM   #77
SavannahCapt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 634
Thanks for your continuing efforts to post here. I know that it is frustrating, especially since you are not feeling well.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:43 AM   #78
Doogle OP
Gnarly Adventurer

6-11-13 194miles total 3989
Yesterday we wasted 2 hours trying tosee what was wrong with my 4 day old modem for Wi-Fi. Previously MTC said it needed to be activated. They did something and said it would work in 2 hours. It still didn't work the next day.Today we got off the main road, about 15 miles to find me another modem. We had gone about 180 miles, and decided Svobodny might be my last chance for a while. I bought a different brand this time.

While Igor and Penny went to get something to eat, I sat on they sidewalk and tried my new Wi-Fi. I was also watching the bikes. After 5 minutes, 3 women came out of the store I was sitting in front of.They almost drug me inside. They wanted me to sit in a chair. I finally went in with them, but couldn't see the bikes well enough. So I went outside and stood on the top step. They brought the chair out for me.Then they brought out a good sized bag of candy, and a bottle of water.
[IMG]"http://s846.photobucket.com/user/doogleadv/media/6-11-13AnnainSvobodnyatthepharmacy.jpg.html" target="_blank"> photo 6-11-13AnnainSvobodnyatthepharmacy.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]"http://s846.photobucket.com/user/doogleadv/media/6-11-13Svobodnypharmacywomen.jpg.html" target="_blank"> photo 6-11-13Svobodnypharmacywomen.jpg[/IMG]
This is 2 of the women pharmacists.

Soon a woman came up to me and talked in English that was hard to understand. She mentioned motorcycles and husband. Then Igor and Penny came back and talked to her. She said she would come back in an hour, and we would spend the night at their house. Not many miles for the day, but we agreed.

While waiting, a young girl and her baby stopped to talk. She wanted us to come to her place for dinner. Are we in the Twilight Zone, or what.

Anna came back and lead us to a locked garage for the bikes. Then she took us to her grandmothers house for tea, snacks, and showers. Later we went to her house. The 2 kids were taken to grandmothers house later. We slept in Anna an Alexander's beds (fold out couches) and they slept in the children's beds.

We left their house and went to their biker hangout. Anna's grandmothers old house. About a dozen biker friends came for a grill out. This Kawasaki has a 57 liter gas tank which he made.

[IMG]"http://s846.photobucket.com/user/doogleadv/media/6-11-13Atthebikershangout2.jpg.html" target="_blank"> photo 6-11-13Atthebikershangout2.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]"http://s846.photobucket.com/user/doogleadv/media/6-11-13Atthebikershangout6.jpg.html" target="_blank"> photo 6-11-13Atthebikershangout6.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]"http://s846.photobucket.com/user/doogleadv/media/6-11-13Atthebikershangout3.jpg.html" target="_blank"> photo 6-11-13Atthebikershangout3.jpg[/IMG]

After several hours of food and vodka, for those not driving, we went back to their house. The next day was a holiday. Russian independence day.They wanted us to stay another day.I will leave in the morning. Igor and Penny will stay. Lucky dogs.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:09 AM   #79
Doogle OP
Gnarly Adventurer

6-12-13 727 miles 4716 total
Alexander got upat 7am and rode with me to the main highway. What great people.

[IMG]"http://s846.photobucket.com/user/doogleadv/media/6-12-13Alexanderridingmetothemainroad.jpg.html" target="_blank">[/IMG]

Then I rode to Nerchinsk.Same scenery as the last 2000 milesHere's a picture of the Trans Siberian railroad.

[IMG]"http://s846.photobucket.com/user/doogleadv/media/6-11-13TransSiberianRailroad.jpg.html" target="_blank">[/IMG]

. But I saw my first road kill. Either a small fox or a big squirrel. It's another 160 miles to Chita. But it's getting cold. Also, I hope I'm getting paranoid, and my engine isn't really getting noisier. I stopped for gas, and they have a hotel for $18 which I am staying at.My stomach issues were good all day. But all I ate was several pieces of candy the women gave me yesterday and the bottle of water. I tried Skype with my wife for a while. It was a terrible connection.

Doogle screwed with this post 09-20-2013 at 03:25 PM
Old 06-13-2013, 01:44 AM   #80
Doogle OP
Gnarly Adventurer

6-13-13

I'm not going anywhere today,.As good as my stomach was yesterday, it's payback time. Other than going downstairs to pay for another day, I haven't left my room. All I've eaten today is a few Imodium. I may try the restaurant here later. I'm not hungry and it seems such a waste to borrow food for a few hours. But it will get me away from Photobucket for a while. It's been slower than molasses.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:00 AM   #81
Doogle OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Cancel

Doogle screwed with this post 06-15-2013 at 09:05 PM
Old 06-13-2013, 09:00 AM   #82
MrGoldfish
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 480
Hang In There!

Hang in there Doogle. I'm cheering for you all the way from Arizona! You can do it!
MrGoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:12 AM   #83
SeanF
-

Oddometer: 2,149
Good read Doogle. Hang in there with the stomach thing.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:27 AM   #84
SS in Vzla.
Totally Normal? I'm not!

Oddometer: 1,149
Hope you feel better tomorrow.
Thanks for your efforts posting the updates.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:10 PM   #85
OverFT5
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Wink Get Well...

Hey Doogle, Diann and I hope you get well soon! Loving the trip so far, can't believe how nice the people are over there! Safe travels.
OverFT5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:32 AM   #86
igormortis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,188
Hey Doogle! How're you going? Penny and I made it to Chita today, but I guess you're probably still a day ahead of us.

Sorry to hear that your digestive system is still working as well as your tablet.

Saw that same roadkill you talked about, and I'm pretty sure I know the place you stayed. "24 hour Guest House" - written in Latin?

We got caught in a pretty decent thunderstorm today. Hopefully you've avoided the rain. The temperature sure plummeted!

We'll probably try for Ulan-Ude tomorrow.
igormortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:18 PM   #87
Doogle OP
Gnarly Adventurer

6-14-13 527 miles

I left the hostel room at 830.The bike wouldn't start. Spark plug looked very weak.This is a dumb Doug story. I found I had the choke on all the time since I left home. I guess it fouled the plug. I took off the panniers, tail bag, tank bag, and my over pants. Pushed the bike 500 feet up a hill to bump start it.I had run the battery down. It started easily.

After about 450 miles I came to a cafe on a bend in the road. I saw 4 loaded bikes. It was Bruce and Mike from England with 2 Russian guys returning from university in Vladivostok. I e-mailed with Bruce before the trip. I knew he was going about the same time I was.

Since they were going to Ulan Ude for the night I rode with them. 500 feet after we pull on the road, the police pull us over. We exited where there was a solid line. A guy we talked with at the cafe came over and talked to the cop for a minute. Then he told us to go.

When we got in the city, the Russian guy calls a biker club. Soon a BMW pulls up and leads us to their club house. We slept there after many bikers came to see us.Some of them stayed after having too much vodka.

I am going to see one of their mechanics before leaving. Too much noise coming from my engine to think about going through Mongolia.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:46 PM   #88
Doogle OP
Gnarly Adventurer

6-15-13
I'm going to be here awhile. A club mechanic came with a stethoscope and listed to my bike and thinks something in my clutch is bad. I'm at his house I think till he fixes it.They are taking it apart now. Time depends on parts availability. 2 days if in irkusk? Could be 10 days if parts come from farther. And depends what parts are bad.

I wasn't going to cross Mongolia with the noise I have been hearing the last couple days. Stuck in Russia 200 miles from a city is one thing. In Mongolia, who knows when help may come by.

I talked with Igor this morning. He will probably be in Ulan
Ude tonight. Something I forgot to mention about yesterday. I followed a car that swerved to miss something in the middle of the road. He didn't stop. I went back. It was a man holding on to the reins of a horse drawn wagon. He wasn't moving while in the middle of the road. He didn't say anything. Then a young couple stopped to see what was going on. I think they thought I may have hit him.Finally the young guy picked up the old man and set him on the wagon. He said he's drunk from vodka. Then the horse just started down the road. I guess he's done it before. 5 minutes later, I'm following a van that goes 4 feet into the gravel, then 3 feet over the center line. After seeing that process repeated several times, I passed him.Didn't want to see how that ended.
Old 06-15-2013, 12:07 AM   #89
nightflyer
Hors contrôle

Oddometer: 103
bad luck!

Ho! man, I hope you'll get the bike sorted out quickly. My Tenere broke down so much in South America than I can totally relate to what you are going trough.

Good luck Doug!
nightflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 01:34 AM   #90
Doogle OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Mechanical problems are tolerable when I'm healthy. Carrying 2 rolls of toilet paper all the time is wearing me down. I think I'm spending more on toilet paper than I am on gas lately. I'm laying on the couch while my bike is being worked on.I'm worn down.

Are you about ready to leaving Kazakhstan? Or is it going to be your new home?