Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2013, 12:17 PM   #3781
Roostre
Discombobulated

Oddometer: 1,039
Wrapping my exhaust helped a great deal, however my front cylinder tube cracked after about a year.

Jury is still out on wrapping it again.
Roostre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:37 AM   #3782
GhostRiderFC
Just a guy who rides

Oddometer: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by unlucky1 View Post
I literally have a 1st degree burn on my right calf from all the heat the pipes throw off. It hasn't hit skip fire once on this trip and I was parading through Arches on a 104 degree day. It can get very hot and be fine. I'm not even burning excessive oil (at 50k it burns some though). I won't worry about the bike in 70f Seattle traffic ever again.
You are wearing pants, right? I mean, I just assume that you are not one of those noobs who wears shorts and flip flops. I've ridden in some pretty hot areas and while it can get pretty uncomfortable, I've not been burned by it yet. Over 35K miles on each of my two XBs, and as long as you don't put bare skin to it, you'll be fine. Plus, it's the air cooling that... wait for it... COOLs it. Try to keep moving. It's being stuck in traffic during hot weather that is most problematic.

Here's one from Mojave National Preserve last July:

IBA #: 48128
My First Ride Report - Summer 2012
My Spotwalla
GhostRiderFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:29 PM   #3783
red450
WEE-A-BOO

Oddometer: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by argentcorvid View Post
I put grip pads on the frame and I wear riding pants. Those help a lot. I'm thinking of getting the heat blanket.
I made my own low buck heat shield using kevlar and foil HVAC tape. It helped but it's nowhere near as nice as the premade blankets.

I think the heat shielding on the engine side of the tank/frame will make a big difference. I plan on trying it this fall when I rotate the engine for a thorough cleaning.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:47 PM   #3784
ronandkat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
once it gets hot

Here in Nc and it substains multiple days over 90, I stay off the bike for commuting purposes. My run to the office has quite a few stoplights, and while the ride in while its cooler in the morning is great. The ride home at peak sunlight sucks... I just as soon enjoy the car and the air conditioning. I will however ride to my hearts content on the back roads and into the mountains, I just don't enjoy the heat the Uly puts out on those hot days of stop and go.
ronandkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:51 PM   #3785
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer: 1,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostRiderFC View Post

Here's one from Mojave National Preserve last July:
Is that the remains of a drive belt hanging off the left pannier?

"No matter how many [internet] opinions you line up, you can't vote nonsense into truth"- Kevin Cameron
Mr. Canoehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:21 PM   #3786
TimberWolf
enslaved by employer

Oddometer: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canoehead View Post
Looks like a bungee cord net to me

2007 XB12X
TimberWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:44 PM   #3787
Hog Rider
The Professor

Oddometer: 1,330
XB 12 picture thread, How hot is your Uly ?

My bike has a small water leak into the seat in frog drowning rains. But when the Cylinder head starts to heat that water up, It just steams your ass, First degree burns two times with mine, The first time I thought it was just the duration of the time in the saddle, But when it happened again after a downpour I knew I needed to do something.

[IMG] photo 547b041b.jpg[/IMG]

Stopped and drained the water out of the seat, about a table spoons worth came out when I tipped it front down on the ground.
I found an autozone and got some heat reflective tape to put under it and got some burn cream for the butt and went and rode the 5 day deep south ride I had been planning for a year.

Drying the seat out in the sun. Before taping it, Had a funny conversation with the guy on the BMW parked behind me about what I was doing and why i was doing it.

And anybody who does not own a Buell, but wants to see why our seats get so hot.

[IMG] photo 3b32f595.jpg[/IMG]

Hog Rider

IBA # 31325
AMA# 739943
Cobb
Etc..

http://carlstwowheeledadventures.blogspot.com

2006 Buell Ulysses, Current Rally Mount
1984 HD Electra Glide Classic
1977 BMW R 100/7 Cafe'
1982 Honda CBX Super Sport, Work in progress
Hog Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:17 AM   #3788
GhostRiderFC
Just a guy who rides

Oddometer: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canoehead View Post
HAHA! No, thankfully, it's not. It is my bungee net. That stop was ONLY for a flat tire, but the damn thing would not take a plug and stay aired up. Had to have it towed in.

Maybe I should look into getting some better heat shielding. I have the TechSpec pads on the frame, but when I looked into getting the "Maximum Heat Shield" here, I got no response to several inquiries, so gave up. I never took the time to see about just making my own version of that.

IBA #: 48128
My First Ride Report - Summer 2012
My Spotwalla
GhostRiderFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:46 AM   #3789
rcf2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
rcf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:18 AM   #3790
ERD
Custom Rider

Oddometer: 286
I've mad my own blanket with leftover insulation made from foil-lined bubble wraps. Just covered the underseat area where the cylinder heads are exposed.

ERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 04:15 PM   #3791
TimberWolf
enslaved by employer

Oddometer: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostRiderFC View Post
Maybe I should look into getting some better heat shielding. I have the TechSpec pads on the frame, but when I looked into getting the "Maximum Heat Shield" here, I got no response to several inquiries, so gave up. I never took the time to see about just making my own version of that.
That guy gets a lot of complaints about slow responses - seems he only does that in his spare time, which he seems to have very little of. People seem very happy with his stuff though, when they finally get it.

2007 XB12X
TimberWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:47 PM   #3792
Hog Rider
The Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD View Post
I've made my own blanket with leftover insulation made from foil-lined bubble wraps. Just covered the underseat area where the cylinder heads are exposed.

How is is working for you and how is it holding up ?

Hog Rider

IBA # 31325
AMA# 739943
Cobb
Etc..

1977 BMW R 100/7 Cafe'
Old 06-14-2013, 07:54 PM   #3793
Hog Rider
The Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by red450 View Post
I made my own low buck heat shield using kevlar and foil HVAC tape. It helped but it's nowhere near as nice as the premade blankets.

I think the heat shielding on the engine side of the tank/frame will make a big difference. I plan on trying it this fall when I rotate the engine for a thorough cleaning.
I went to your blog site and read your article about your heat blanket. Soo....

How does it work ?

Hog Rider

IBA # 31325
AMA# 739943
Cobb
Etc..

1977 BMW R 100/7 Cafe'
Old 06-14-2013, 09:22 PM   #3794
red450
WEE-A-BOO

Oddometer: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog Rider View Post
I went to your blog site and read your article about your heat blanket. Soo....

How does it work ?
It reduced the blow torch feeling from the gap between the frame and airbox. The seat is cooler now as well. I think a few more layers of Kevlar would have been better.
Old 06-15-2013, 04:35 AM   #3795
Hughlysses
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,142
A lot of heat gets to the seat due to hot air exiting the two frame openings around the rear cylinder head (shown in the photo above). In some ways, the right side scoop makes this worse as it forces more cooling air across the rear cylinder head, a lot of which winds up flowing under the seat. (Note that this problem is apparently absent from bikes with the tall seat, probably due to having an extra ~2 inches of foam between your butt and the hot seat pan.) Not only does the hot air heat the seat, but the hot air blows out of the gap between the sides of the seat and the frame rails, especially on the right side. THAT can cook your right thigh. The other part of the comfort kit, the duct shown just below the rear shock upper attachment point, funnels the air from the cooling fan downward which keeps that air from blowing against the seat. When the fan kicks on, I think most of the air exits this way but by that time the seat's already hot. Note that this may be less of a problem on 08-up bikes with the revised ECM flash that keeps the fan running when the bike's above ~15 MPH.

At one point I modified my Uly by taking adhesive-backed aluminum HVAC tape (the stuff's that's made out of aluminum foil, not duct tape) and sealing those two frame openings off. That forced all the hot air to go through the fan duct and kept the seat noticeably cooler. It also completely eliminated the hot air that blows out between the top of the frame rails and the seat.

Unfortunately, a few months after I made the modification, I had a problem with my 77 connector (charging system); this resulted in the bike dying at interstate speeds due to a stone-dead battery. I played with the connector and jump-started the bike; apparently the charging system worked for a few minutes and then died again. The end result of this was the bike stopped twice when the engine was very hot and the cooling fan was unable to kick on to keep the rear head cool after the bike was shut off. About a month later I developed a rear rocker cover gasket leak.

The bike was still under warranty, so I removed the tape that sealed off the frame openings and I never put it back. I was a little worried that sealing off these two openings had significantly reduced the airflow over the rear head when the cooling fan is not operating, and this had contributed to the rocker cover gasket failure. I've never put the tape back.

After commuting during a couple of 90+ degree days this week, I'm about ready to re-do my modification. I think I'd be willing to rotate the engine and replace the gasket once in a while (if that's what it takes) if I could keep the seat 20 degrees cooler.