Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2013, 09:41 PM   #2656
PPCLI-Jim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
As i know better safe then sorry. One inmate has a quote it's a small amount of gas but it's a long walk. I'd rather run the bike and do a charge to the electronics the have to try and Bump start my 650

http://www.youtube.com/user/spudhead/videos?view=0 my youtube channel
PPCLI-Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:01 PM   #2657
sthamerica
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Kiwis ride the Big Dog

3 days in!
The T Rail is a fantastic ride. At this point, we are very pleased to be on 250's rather than 650's, as washouts, trail closures etc require a few steep rocky climbs, and quite a lot of deep shingle and sand in patches.

The scenery is amazing, and locals have been very welcoming, but accommodation is certainly more expensive than what we experienced on the TAT 3 years back (but of a higher quality). Note: we don't camp unless demanded

We would suggest anyone on a big bike should consider hitting the highway after Howley as the dam soon after is closed, which demands a tricky water crossing followed by some deep shingle and sand for extended periods.

Tonite we are in Rocky Harbour after 600 km of the T Rail.

It has been everything we had hoped for, even following the tracks on GPS has not been a problem. Thanks Bryan!

Tomorrow we cross for Labrador and the mainland!
sthamerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:52 PM   #2658
damurph
Cold Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by sthamerica View Post
3 days in!
The T Rail is a fantastic ride. At this point, we are very pleased to be on 250's rather than 650's, as washouts, trail closures etc require a few steep rocky climbs, and quite a lot of deep shingle and sand in patches.

The scenery is amazing, and locals have been very welcoming, but accommodation is certainly more expensive than what we experienced on the TAT 3 years back (but of a higher quality). Note: we don't camp unless demanded

We would suggest anyone on a big bike should consider hitting the highway after Howley as the dam soon after is closed, which demands a tricky water crossing followed by some deep shingle and sand for extended periods.
I concur with the big bike avoidance of the Howley to Deer lake suggestion but when you get to the TCH from Howley there is a dirt road on the other side of the TCH that takes a rider to Sir Rchard Squires Park and comes out at Cormack and the Viking Trail. This used to be the original TCH route.
I have been following your Spot page and glad you are enjoying what our island offers for scenery. The views will change tomorrow on the Northern Peninsula.
Old 06-15-2013, 05:59 AM   #2659
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,454

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthamerica View Post
3 days in!

Tonite we are in Rocky Harbour after 600 km of the T Rail.

It has been everything we had hoped for, even following the tracks on GPS has not been a problem. Thanks Bryan!

Tomorrow we cross for Labrador and the mainland!

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:46 AM   #2660
piratexpress1369a
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
that is cool have a great trip guys
Old 06-18-2013, 02:37 AM   #2661
sthamerica
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Kiwis ride the Big Dog

Our last day on NFL was a 239 km road ride from Rocky Harbour to the Labrador Ferry, which started cold and got colder .- but much more chilly stuff was in store...

You will know the Titanic sunk 200 miles off NFL after hitting an iceberg. Well somebody is still sending them down here, as a pleasant and uneventful crossing to the mainland port of Blanc Sablon was disturbed icebergs floating in the harbour. It was COLD!

Today was a taste of the wilderness rides coming up in the days ahead. Forteau (our first night accom) to Port Hope Simpson is about 80 km of seal and 120 km of rough soft loose metal in a bleak, empty, harsh environment . It rained the whole way, the ambient temperature not approaching double digits , before a strong and nasty wind chill drove home the cold. What fun!

This is not a place for an ill prepared bike or rider, a breakdown if you were wet or cold , could have serious consequences. We had on every piece of thermal and wet weather kit in our respective arsenals and stayed warm and dry (inside ). Quality not quantity is the key. And layers .

Thru the mist we saw something moving and lo and behold there was a bear cub on the road. We stopped a safe distance and watched for a bit, aware that Mama Bear was probably watching somewhere..quite a hoot for us from NZ.

Arrived Port Hope Simpson pop. 300. A real frontier town, but very welcoming.

next day onto Goose Bay, 408 km no gas. We had 48 litres of gas between us, but our small bikes dropped from 26 km / ltr in Nfl to 20 on the soft sand road and head wind. 5c and rain the whole way but the remoteness was rather neat.

Day 7 yesterday onto Churchill Falls, (not many positives here..) , another 280 km mainly gravel. Finaly saw a Moose! today Tuesday , day 8, onto the bright lights of Lab City.

Our little WR 250r's are going great. The difference in fuel km is more than expected between me (little guy) and Bryan (big guy). Bryan ran his 14.6ltr Safari tank dry yesterday whilst i had quite a bit left in same tank. The seats are surprisingly comfortable. Our Giant Loop luggage is perfect for this type of ride, very versatile . We both have a bit less than 25kg in gear, more than ideal but camping stuff adds up (along with tools, spares, bear spray etc). We are 2300 km in, and will need the new tyres Fab has in store for us when we get to him around the coming weekend.

We are doing the TCAT in daily bites, allowing for fuel and accommodation, and low stress - still a long way to go!

I know many folk are following our SPOT. Thank you for your kind words of encouragement, but sorry if I have not replied to ur message . I will re post our spot address. Note: password is SOREBUMS.
sthamerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:59 AM   #2662
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,030
just found this thread ... what a fab route!
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:23 PM   #2663
Trane Francks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by damurph View Post
I concur with the big bike avoidance of the Howley to Deer lake suggestion but when you get to the TCH from Howley there is a dirt road on the other side of the TCH that takes a rider to Sir Rchard Squires Park and comes out at Cormack and the Viking Trail. This used to be the original TCH route.
It's been a while since I looked at the route in Google Earth. Are there marked segments that route around more technical riding or does one just have to figure it out on one's own depending on displacement and skill level?
Trane Francks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 06:30 AM   #2664
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trane Francks View Post
It's been a while since I looked at the route in Google Earth. Are there marked segments that route around more technical riding or does one just have to figure it out on one's own depending on displacement and skill level?
There are some big bike go arounds for sure. Not certain how their marked. GR on the tracks probably.
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 02:32 PM   #2665
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trane Francks View Post
For the most part its a figure out based on skill level and bike suitability...there are a few splashes of "technical" stuff on the route but for the most part its straightforward for a competent rider.

The bits that were considered "tough" were made into technical optional tracks.

Tough, technical...terms that are pretty subjective as rider skills, weather, etc all play a part...What may be considered easy terrain might also be considered tough on a loaded bike, after a month of back to back days of riding way out in some remote area

Cheers
Ted

Old 06-24-2013, 02:42 PM   #2666
Trane Francks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 491
Thanks to the both of you for your input.

So many RRs later, I'm champing at the bit to get out on the road. The Wanderlust, she's powerful.
Trane Francks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:12 AM   #2667
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Blog from STHAmerica

Keith and Bryan (from New Zealand) have been travelling the TCAT for the last few weeks. As of last night they were in Chibougamau, Quebec. I suspect in the next couple of days they will be in Ottawa where we hope to hook up for a beer or three

They've been sending ouot emails to their friends back home....here is the latest one along with some photos they have sent.

Here is a link to their SPOT tracker web page (password is appropriately SOREBUMS )

https://share.findmespot.com/shared/...lisiYUHVl8gUuf

Below: On the rail beds outside of Howley, NFLD

It is surprising how the Human body cab perceive an increase of 2 degrees in ambient temperature, after riding for 6 hours in the rain at 5c. So was our ride from Port Hope Simpson to Goose Bay, in constant rain, but as we neared our destination, the temperature rose from 5 to 7c and what a great feeling that little bit of extra heat was!

With no gas available for the 408 km, we carried 48 litres between us with oil and Coke bottles of gas strapped to our carriers. More cold, barren and remote country, which was only connected by road 3 years ago. See pic of banana roadside lunch.

We saw a good sized bear on the road - not interested in us, and waddled off into the brush.

Next morning at Goose Bay, being famous in our own morning tea break - we were interviewed by 2 reporters from the biggest Montreal newspaper, who were doing an article on the Trans Lab highway! See pic below.
So after posing for suitable photo's, it was onto Churchill Falls, 300 k of seal and gravel, with finally seeing a Moose and calf - in the middle of the road as warned (pic below) Also saw Porcupine.

Below: Reporters on the Trans Lab

Churchill Falls, oh dear, Winston would be disappointed - what a dump! We were planning to stay 2 days ( taking a rest day) but cut and run the next day after a very enjoyable tour of the massive underground hydro station on our night of arrival.

On to Labrador City - Canada's most remote city of 7000 people. The Inn was bear (bare) as calling what little accommodation there was, everything was full!

Only 1pm, so we phoned the next little outpost on the trail 300 km away, and they had a room! Relais Gabriel here we come, and what a great sandy gravel road we enjoyed on the way - except for massive mining trucks coming in a huge cloud of dust. Impossible to pass these guys if behind them. Last summer, one trucker, aware of a bike behind for some time, stopped to let him pass. The rider could not see the stopped truck in all the dust and hit the back of it, and died at the scene.

Below: Sign at Relais Gabriel

Below: The ladies who run the accomodations at Relais Gabriel

Today, Wednesday, we have taken rest day after 2,500 km. out on the lake in the morning, caught a 5Lb trout on beautiful glass calm Lake Manicouagan.
In the afternoon we visited a genuine hermit we met last night. Bobby Boone ( Daniels close relation) has lived in the hut he built himself in a swamp for 12 years. 12 years before that, he spent in seclusion on the above lake in another self made hut. Check out pic of Bryan and Bobby

Safe Travels Bryan and Keith, cya soon

Old 06-25-2013, 05:47 AM   #2668
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,678
Hey thanks TEd for sharing that.
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:57 AM   #2669
Two Wheeled 'Tard
Banned

Oddometer: 165
Out of curiosity, how long after Howley should I stay on the slab? I'm starting the TCAT next week on a loaded-up V-Strom 650.
Two Wheeled 'Tard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:26 AM   #2670
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Wheeled 'Tard View Post
Out of curiosity, how long after Howley should I stay on the slab? I'm starting the TCAT next week on a loaded-up V-Strom 650.
From Howley to Deer Lake on the route is approximately 32 km's....so you wouldnt be missing too much of the trail by grabbing pavement.

Have a safe trip...got a spot tracker or planning on a ride report of blog or anything while your travelling ?

Cheers