RB450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:44 AM   #4697
StevenD
Hmmmm, dirt!

Oddometer: 1,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by clapped_r6 View Post
neat.

hard to tell from the photo, i can't tell whether the pipe attaches to that tank, or what looks like a small diameter "frame" right underneath it.

now that looks like a project for someone!
Not so much a project, more a very large pile of money to Mecasystems...
Old 06-10-2013, 08:42 AM   #4698
Wallrat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by RB450 View Post

I've got those same bags. They're great but that duffle on the seat is always in the way. I suggest making every effort you can to keep it as empty as possible.
12 Kuberg Start
13 Kuberg Cross
Wallrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:09 PM   #4699
RB450
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
The back rack keeps it in place pretty well. I'll report back after the weekend.
Old 06-11-2013, 01:08 PM   #4700
Wallrat
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
The back rack keeps it in place pretty well. I'll report back after the weekend.
Its not a problem of the bag moving around, the problem is that the bag is in the way anytime you try to move your butt further back, even while standing. You can get by with it but its annoying. I generally try to limit how much I put in that duffle as best as I can. So long as its mostly empty it stays out of the way. When I absolutely have to put stuff in it, I just deal with the loss of weight transfer.
12 Kuberg Start
13 Kuberg Cross
Old 06-11-2013, 07:07 PM   #4701
RB450
Gnarly Adventurer

I generally stand as much as possible. Like 95% of the time...when I'm not standing, I sit close to tank. I don't think it will be a problem.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:10 PM   #4702
MKJ
Married w/ Children

Oddometer: 516
Fork oil. Who has found the optimum air chamber depth? Changing the oil in my shocks, I'm going to set mine at 150 mm. I'm 210 lbs with heavier springs. I have hit the front end pretty hard and still had 2 1/2" of dust on the fork tube. My fork was set at 110 mm per the manual. Any experts?
MKJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 04:14 AM   #4703
kito
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 270
any one seen this thread ?? http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=834987
do you guys think a 525 with HT oil cooler S/S valves and maybe a thicker gasket to lower compreshion a bit would be up to the challenge of taking on a trip of this lenght ?
any ideas welcome
thanks kito
kito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:12 AM   #4704
davesupreme
grand poobah

Oddometer: 1,458
Quote:
I generally stand as much as possible. Like 95% of the time...when I'm not standing, I sit close to tank. I don't think it will be a problem.
you sit up on the tank, and hit some silty/sugar sand or some muddy water at speed, and you're gonna see a problem immediately if not sooner....
davesupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:05 AM   #4705
GR0NK
Got some screws loose!

Oddometer: 1,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by davesupreme View Post
you sit up on the tank, and hit some silty/sugar sand or some muddy water at speed, and you're gonna see a problem immediately if not sooner....
LOL. No.

Sean

Nullus Vereor ex Terra Incognita
GR0NK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:44 AM   #4706
GR0NK
Got some screws loose!

Oddometer: 1,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by kito View Post
any one seen this thread ?? http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=834987
do you guys think a 525 with HT oil cooler S/S valves and maybe a thicker gasket to lower compreshion a bit would be up to the challenge of taking on a trip of this lenght ?
any ideas welcome
thanks kito
Yes, but add in the expense of a better seat too.

I wouldn't worry too much about the oil cooler. The stock valves will go about 300 hours under hard use. (ie: racing) They could probably go 400 if you don't wring it out. Certainly a nicely set up head with SS valves will go longer though.
In 18K you will need several sets of tires, wheel bearings and roughly 20 liters of oil along with ten sets of new oil filters, replacing every second oil change. You will need as many air filters but you can reduce this by half if you use peel-off filter skins. Chain and sprocket life depends on quality but even using the best you will likely run through a few chains and rear sprockets. Count on several fronts. You will probably wear through a few sets of brake pads and at least one set of hand grips too.
Keep in mind this is an estimate based on how I have been riding my bike over the years and is likely a worst-case scenario for someone who rides more conservatively.

I've got over 23K kms on my 05 525 EXC now and it's still tough as nails. I've replaced the swingarm bearings and the steering bearings once at about 19K kms. The original wheels have some nice dings in them now from hitting things at speed but I keep the spokes in check and they are still holding up.

Even though it's not what the bike was really designed for, this thread is proof it can be adapted to almost anything and it can do it.

Sean

Nullus Vereor ex Terra Incognita
GR0NK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:08 PM   #4707
Wallrat
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I ride the same way. Honestly I never realized how often I shift my butt backwards going over whoops/obstacles until I tried riding with the bag. For easy terrain its fine, you'll forget its there. How'd it work out for you this weekend?
12 Kuberg Start
13 Kuberg Cross
Old 06-15-2013, 07:51 AM   #4708
SirJono_777
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
This is my 525 exc setup for a rough firetrail (3 day) ride earlier this year. The Kriega Overlander 30's a simply awesome. Next years ride I will add the Kriega US-20 or 30 up top and tidy the whole thing up.

SirJono_777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 01:43 PM   #4709
RAZR
yup ima hairstylist

Oddometer: 8,828
installing a Rekluse today in my 2004 525 EXC...

should I go with "low hard" setting or a "low soft" setting.

I ride mostly rocky singletrack here in California. slow speed stuff with technical sections. but I like some fast desert riding too.

my friend that has a 525 said "low hard" so you don't lose the engine breaking but my other buddy that rides a 250 Yamaha said "low soft" cuz of the tight technical stuff.

what do you guys run?
RAZR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:41 PM   #4710
RB450
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallrat View Post
I ride the same way. Honestly I never realized how often I shift my butt backwards going over whoops/obstacles until I tried riding with the bag. For easy terrain its fine, you'll forget its there. How'd it work out for you this weekend?
Worked out perfectly. The dry duffle kept everything dry through 3 days of deep water riding, and pouring rain on Sunday.

The only complaint I have is getting off and on the bike. Takes a little more effort. My hips are not flexible enough to swing up and Over the duffle bag, and I'm tall. About midway through day one, I started "front kicking" my leg between the tank and bag to mount my bike. This works out well, but gets harder the more days you've spent in the dirt.

Take a look at the roaming rally thread to see the terrain we road. Not overly technical, but definitely not easy.