User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2013, 05:15 AM   #106
Domromer OP
Desert Rat

Oddometer: 1,084

ready to rock! by dsrphotography, on Flickr

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851060 ... A desert rat explores the south.
Domromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:45 PM   #107
Domromer OP
Desert Rat

Last night of the trip., before I make the drive back to Charleston from. Asheville. 900 miles over three days, lots of crazy weather, woodchucks, a near miss with a copperhead and a visit to a Freshwater aquarium.. More pics coming soon. Here are some snapshots from the Cell phone.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851060 ... A desert rat explores the south.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:18 AM   #108
danh600
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 281
I really enjoy your pictures. I have been to some of the same places.

I recognize that park.
danh600 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:27 AM   #109
Domromer OP
Desert Rat

Thanks, more pics on the way. I'm heading back from Asheville now.

Old 06-14-2013, 03:48 PM   #110
Domromer OP
Desert Rat

Here are the pics from my Trip to the Blue ridge parkway. We ended up riding 1200 miles over 4 days.

The first night we planned on Camping at the Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground. On the way there we stopped to check out this campground at Mt. Pisgah and ended up camping here instead. The sites were nice and private and surrounded by flowering bushes. The weather at 4800ft was fantastic. It was really nice to get a break from the heat and humidity of the low country.

Our Campsite at Mt Pisgah Campground by dsrphotography, on Flickr

After setting up our camp we headed into Asheville to wander the streets and have some dinner. Our first stop was to gawk at all the great creations at the chocolate Fetish.

Yummy Treats at the Chocolate Fetish in Asheville by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Edible chocolate Shells by dsrphotography, on Flickr

More Chocolate Goodness by dsrphotography, on Flickr

We found this cool bulk spice shop and spent a while opening up jars and sniffing everything.

Cool Spice Store in Asheville by dsrphotography, on Flickr

We came across a Hula Hoop dance party in a public area downtown. The dancers were really getting into it. The music was some sort of trippy electronica.

Hula Hoop Dance Party In Downtown Asheville by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Hula Hoop Spectator. by dsrphotography, on Flickr

For dinner we had Indian food at Chai Pani..This place has insanely good indian and really good chai as well. It's well worth checking out if you are visiting Asheville.

Awesome indian food at Chai Pani in Asheville by dsrphotography, on Flickr

On the way back to our campsite the sun was setting making for some very nice views of the Mountains along the Parkway.

Sunrise on the Blue Ridge by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Sunset on the Blue Ridge by dsrphotography, on Flickr

More pics on the way.......

Old 06-15-2013, 04:03 AM   #111
Domromer OP
Desert Rat

The next day I woke up early and did a little riding and picture taking on the parkway.

Sunrise on the Blue Ridge Parkway by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Lots of cool bikes on the Blue ridge by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Our Campsite at Mt Pisgah Campground by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Old 06-15-2013, 04:28 AM   #112
Rutabaga
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 729
Thanks.

Again you have provided a wonderful look at the scenery surrounding us. I will miss you and your riding partner's odysseys, however, I look forward to your posting from Austrailia. Happy trails.
Rutabaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 04:41 AM   #113
Domromer OP
Desert Rat

Thanks for the kind words. I've actually picked up some work in Florida so I will be heading down there July 1st and I'll be there for 3 months. Hopefully if I can brave the summer heat I'll be able to do some exploring via bike. I picked up a book about the Florida springs and I'm hoping to check out some that are off the beaten path.

Old 06-15-2013, 09:07 AM   #114
Domromer OP
Desert Rat

The next day the plan was to ride south mostly on the 74. Ride over the Skyway and down into Chattanooga. Due to my poor map reading skills we missed the skyway but took some other cool roads instead.

We passed a lot of neat little farms that go right up the hillsides..another thing we don't see very often in the South Carolina Low Country.

Cool Farms in the Mountain Valleys by dsrphotography, on Flickr

We came across this cool paddling center. Next time I come through here I think I'll give rafting a try..I did learn the water is a chilly 45f since it's released from the dam.

Nantahala Outdoor Center by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Who can resist checking out a wooden bridge.

Rafting down the Nantahala River by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Rafting down the Nantahala River by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Wooden Bridge over the Nantahala River by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Wooden Bridge over the Nantahala River by dsrphotography, on Flickr

The 74 was a great route, lots of twists and turns and plenty of mountain views.

The Scenery along the 74 by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Domromer screwed with this post 06-15-2013 at 10:06 AM
Old 06-15-2013, 04:02 PM   #115
Domromer OP
Desert Rat

Somehow I took a wrong turn and never got to the Cherohala skyway. Instead I ended up riding down some very nice rural roads through the mountains.

We saw a sign for a waterfall and decided to take a detour. It was 3 miles of rocky hilly dirt road..very fun on the vstrom even two up with luggage.

Trail to Conasauga Falls by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Gnarly dirt road to the falls by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Gnarly dirt road to the falls by dsrphotography, on Flickr

The steep hike to the falls was well worth it. We stripped down and went for a swim in the chilly water. My wife went to step down onto a rock and nearly stepped right on a copperhead!!! No pics as I didn't want to bring the camera in the water but wow that was scary. After that we paid more attention whilst climbing the rocks.

Conasauga Falls by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Conasauga Falls by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Conasauga Falls where Sandra almost stepped on a Copperhead snake by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Eventually we rode into Tellico plains were we found out we had not in fact been on the Skyway. But it was a cool little town and we stopped at the visitor center for some water and maps. The ride to Chattanooga was uneventful other than being hot and windy, there was a car on fire on the highway and some nice rural roads between Tellico and the freeway.

Here was our campsite for the night in Chattanooga. We stayed at the Raccoon mountain campground.

Our Campsite in Chattanooga at Raccoon Mountain. by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Old 06-16-2013, 08:35 PM   #116
Domromer OP
Desert Rat

The next day we packed up camp and headed into Chattanooga. I'd never been here before and it seemed like a pretty cool city. Lots of Art and interesting buildings in the city. I was also surprised at how hilly the city was and the fact it was surrounded by mountains. I plan on coming back to explore some more one day.

Chattanooga Tenesse by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Chattanooga by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Crazy Sidewalk in Chattanooga by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Nice Pedestrian Bridge in Chattanooga by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Another awesome indian restaurant in Chattanooga by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Old 06-16-2013, 08:50 PM   #117
Domromer OP
Desert Rat

The main reason for my visit to Chattanooga was the famous Tennessee Aquarium. I've always enjoyed visiting aquariums and the Tenesse aquarium is famous for being a freshwater aquarium which as far as I know the only kind of it's type in the country.

The aquarium had two separate buildings one was the salt water aquarium and the other was the freshwater aquarium. In a nutshell it was awesome. Definitely in my top 5 of aquariums in the country and well worth checking out if you find yourself in this part of the country.

Curious OTTER by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Little girl likes the trout by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Nice looking trout in a cool enclosure by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Long ear Sunfish by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Petting a Sturgeun by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Petting a Sturgeon by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Another cool display at the Chattanooga aquarium by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Turtles and such by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Impressive Indigo Snake by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Peacock Bass by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Funny fish by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Checking out the diver cleaning the tank by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Peacock bass..can be caught in the canals of south Florida by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Spotted freshwater stingrays by dsrphotography, on Flickr

A little info on the stingray by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Tropical enclosure by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Blue Macaws by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Touch tank..don't touch the sharks though by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Touch tank by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Butterfly enclosure by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Curious Penguins by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Penguin dsiplay by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Salt water tank by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Jellyfish by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Old 06-24-2013, 06:15 PM   #118
Domromer OP
Desert Rat

The next day we headed out of Chattanooga and this time we were going to see the skyway. After an uneventful but windy drive up the Freeway we hit the skyway. at the bottom we went for a quick swim in a river that paralleled the road

Stopping for a swim along the Cherohala Skyway

Letting the Current drag me down river

Swimming against the current

After our swim we headed up the skyway. Soon thereafter the rain started and it was torrential. We passed a few pull offs and cars and bikers were stopped looking for shelter. I couldn't find anywhere dry to hide so I just turned on the hazard lights and drove the entire skyway at 10-20mph. The rain just got harder and harder and one we got above 3000ft. The clouds moved in and visibility was less than 20ft. In many spots on the road the trees formed a canopy over the road. The fog was so thick that you couldn't see the trees above you!

We continued on a didn't see another car or bike for the entire ride. Eventually we got to the other side and just hauled ass in the rain back to Asheville where we checked into a hotel and tried to dry our of our soaked gear...So that was out trip to Asheville in a nutshell.

Less than 20ft visibility and torrential rains on the skyway

Clouds parting after the storm

Soaked at the end of the skyway

vstrom against the clouds

Old 07-04-2013, 05:01 PM   #119
Domromer OP
Desert Rat

Finally made it to Florida..more to come.

Clearwater Beach July 4th, 2013