ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-14-2013, 06:46 AM   #166
iride4u
Gnarly Adventurer
 
iride4u's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2013
Location: Loveland, Colorado
Oddometer: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz97tj View Post
That was me. It wasnt clutch related. It was a far different issue.
I can't believe how patient you were with all the geniuses that replied to you problems and still are. Good luck with your LC.
iride4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:21 AM   #167
seatec
Dutch Transplant
 
seatec's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Clearwater
Oddometer: 737
Not sure if this is a break in issue or a problem but just wanted to see if my issue is common or not.
Just took delivery of my bare bones LC. Love the bike so far (my first GS).
I have broken in several sport bikes and never had the idle so erratic when breaking in the motor. The GS when warmed up and idling is a bit erratic meaning that the tach needle is a little jumpy. In my estimation the idle fluctuates around 50-100 rpm at a steady pace. No surging. Is this normal/abnormal or just a break in quirk. ODO = 400+ miles.
She also runs fine and smooth when moving.
I can accept the fickle idle if its just a boxer idiosyncrasy.

Thanks
seatec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:39 AM   #168
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer
 
RichBMW's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Surrey, UK
Oddometer: 1,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by seatec View Post
Not sure if this is a break in issue or a problem but just wanted to see if my issue is common or not.
Just took delivery of my bare bones LC. Love the bike so far (my first GS).
I have broken in several sport bikes and never had the idle so erratic when breaking in the motor. The GS when warmed up and idling is a bit erratic meaning that the tach needle is a little jumpy. In my estimation the idle fluctuates around 50-100 rpm at a steady pace. No surging. Is this normal/abnormal or just a break in quirk. ODO = 400+ miles.
She also runs fine and smooth when moving.
I can accept the fickle idle if its just a boxer idiosyncrasy.

Thanks
That sounds normal
__________________
2015 BMW S1000R Sport
2015 BMW R1200GSAW
RichBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:47 PM   #169
oz97tj
Studly Adventurer
 
oz97tj's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Fenton, MI
Oddometer: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by iride4u View Post
I can't believe how patient you were with all the geniuses that replied to you problems and still are. Good luck with your LC.
Haha. There were times I grew quite frustrated. However its over now and I feel it was handled well and the bike has seen about 3000 miles since and is running great except for the switch issue that everyone seems to be having.
__________________
'13 BMW 1200 GSW
'05 Honda ST1300
oz97tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 02:26 PM   #170
bemiiten
League of Adventures
 
bemiiten's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: Hamilton NJ.
Oddometer: 4,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattpar View Post
GS LC, with 729 miles. Trailered it up the dealer for its 600mi service(oil engine change, shaft oil change, visual inspection, and road test. Dealer did that, test drove the bike) all ok. I drove it 150 feet to my trailer. Reloaded it back on the trailer the same way(straps on the handle bars, away from the clutch and brake reservoirs)Towed it 1hr home, took it off of the trailer. Got onto the bike, clicked it into 1st gear, grabbed a fist full of clutch, started it up and it lurched forward a few inches when it started and ran. Went to ride to the garage but stalled it. Noticed the clutch lever friction area was REAL close to the full grab on the lever. Restarted, lurched a few inches forward. Rode it to the garage(170ft from street to garage)

Once at garage, Key ON, motor OFF, in 1st gear, clutch lever to the handle bar grip. I noticed it wouldnt roll easily. I had to PUSH it to get it to roll. Then I noticed the clutch was not disengaging all the way. I could hear it slipping. what the heck?!?! Then I noticed the gear grinding noise in the video.

In the video. Starts off with key OFF, clutch level OUT, gear Neutral, rocking back and forward hitting the brake, then when i turn the key ON(@8 secs),it makes the noise. I turned the key off at 30secs, no noise. My brother came over and I rocked the bike and he said he thinks the noise is coming from the airbox/top of the motor area? No clue?

http://youtu.be/bfEB_MgB174

Dont know how to imbed videos.

So i called the dealer, told him what the dealio was. They said they didnt adjust anything, all they did was change oil and visually inspect brakes, fluid levels, etc,...they are gonna pick it up Tuesday. We'll see what happens from there.

Any thoughts on why it would make a noise with the key ON and not OFF? And why wont the clutch disengage fully?
First thing is it's best to start a bike with a wet clutch in neutral, even more so when it's cold. The lurching forward is the clue, lots of drag with a wet clutch. Also, never strap a telelever bike down from the handelbars, you want to use the lower fork bridge. Let us know what your dealer finds.
bemiiten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:05 PM   #171
Crilly
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Wi/Az
Oddometer: 732
. I believe the clutch needs rpms to fully desingage . This is way they are easy to pull. Mine rolls backward easier in gear when running.
Crilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:18 PM   #172
Mattpar
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Oddometer: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by bemiiten View Post
First thing is it's best to start a bike with a wet clutch in neutral, even more so when it's cold. The lurching forward is the clue, lots of drag with a wet clutch. Also, never strap a telelever bike down from the handelbars, you want to use the lower fork bridge. Let us know what your dealer finds.
I agree on the starting in neutral, but I just randomly started it in gear when made it lurch, which it didnt do before. And it use to roll easy with the clutch pulled in and in gear. Also the friction point isnt in the same spot as it use to be. SO something isnt right. I'll keep ya'll updated.

As for transporting the bike;

As per the bikes manual, strap the handle bars, then down through the leading link,...
Mattpar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:34 PM   #173
NLS
My bike needs washing...
 
NLS's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: GREECE!
Oddometer: 3,038
Indeed.
You need to cut your nails a bit.
__________________
NLS
My Blog
When the going gets tough, the tough get going...
NLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 03:56 PM   #174
Mattpar
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Oddometer: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS View Post
Indeed.
You need to cut your nails a bit.
My pedi/mani is tuesday morning so i can look good for the tow truck driver

ANYWAYS

After work I got home. Itching to ride it. Remembered Bemiiten saying
Quote:
Originally Posted by bemiiten View Post
First thing is it's best to start a bike with a wet clutch in neutral, even more so when it's cold. The lurching forward is the clue, lots of drag with a wet clutch.
SO I grabbed the keys, hopped on it, put it in gear, clutch in, tried walking it forward. Still dragging. Started it up, lurched forward, noticed that it was really easy to move forward(like mildy assisted from the dragging clutch) and a little resistance to walk it backwards. Then I took it for a 2 mile ride through the neighborhood, lots of gear changes, hard accelerations etc. Got the bike up to operating temps. Got back to my driveway. Shut it off, put it in gear, started it up. No lurch, repeated, no lurch. Everything seemed normal. I dont know if I'm picking apart this bike TOO much and this stuff is normal and I just didnt notice it before the service. I don't wanna waste my time sending it to the dealer and not being able to ride it for 2 weeks over something thats normal that I just too picky about. 99% of the time i always put my bike in Neutral before starting, then just ride off. Just this one time I tried starting it in gear and noticed the lurch,... I'm thinking about calling the dealer, talking to a tech, and see if i really have to send it in. Pick up is on Tuesday. I'll call monday and see what they say. Dealer is 1hr away in good traffic, but 2hr now because of really crappy construction.
Mattpar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 04:13 PM   #175
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer
 
RichBMW's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Surrey, UK
Oddometer: 1,797
I was out today on mine, and went to change from 3rd to 4th whilst doing an overtake, and either I didn't apply enough pressure, or there's a problem with the gearbox, but the bike didn't go into gear, and then there was an almighty crunch before it slipped into 4th Its never happened before, so I'll keep an eye on this. Has anyone else experienced this?
__________________
2015 BMW S1000R Sport
2015 BMW R1200GSAW
RichBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 05:03 PM   #176
Mattpar
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Oddometer: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBMW View Post
I was out today on mine, and went to change from 3rd to 4th whilst doing an overtake, and either I didn't apply enough pressure, or there's a problem with the gearbox, but the bike didn't go into gear, and then there was an almighty crunch before it slipped into 4th Its never happened before, so I'll keep an eye on this. Has anyone else experienced this?
If you let the Rpms drop too much after missing the shift the first time then try to kick it into gear with out bringing the revs back up(i.e. not rev matching), it will make a mighty klunk noise. Always be firm with your shifts and dont limp foot it into gear.
Mattpar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 06:52 PM   #177
Crilly
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Wi/Az
Oddometer: 732
Expressly 3rd to 4th.
Crilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:24 PM   #178
iride4u
Gnarly Adventurer
 
iride4u's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2013
Location: Loveland, Colorado
Oddometer: 321
Depending on the thickness of your boots you may need to adjust the Gear shift linkage.
iride4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:41 PM   #179
pistole
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: earth
Oddometer: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattpar View Post
SO I grabbed the keys, hopped on it, put it in gear, clutch in, tried walking it forward. Still dragging. Started it up, lurched forward, noticed that it was really easy to move forward(like mildy assisted from the dragging clutch) and a little resistance to walk it backwards. Then I took it for a 2 mile ride through the neighborhood, lots of gear changes, hard accelerations etc. Got the bike up to operating temps. Got back to my driveway. Shut it off, put it in gear, started it up. No lurch, repeated, no lurch. Everything seemed normal. I dont know if I'm picking apart this bike TOO much and this stuff is normal and I just didnt notice it before the service. I don't wanna waste my time sending it to the dealer and not being able to ride it for 2 weeks over something thats normal that I just too picky about. 99% of the time i always put my bike in Neutral before starting, then just ride off. Just this one time I tried starting it in gear and noticed the lurch,... I'm thinking about calling the dealer, talking to a tech, and see if i really have to send it in. Pick up is on Tuesday. I'll call monday and see what they say. Dealer is 1hr away in good traffic, but 2hr now because of really crappy construction.
- perhaps your clutch slave is sticking = Resulting in an intermittent fault.

- have them bleed the clutch and test from there.

- as for the earlier comments , imho : there is no need to start it with the clutch pulled in (unless you're in gear).

.
pistole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 12:46 AM   #180
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer
 
RichBMW's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Surrey, UK
Oddometer: 1,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattpar View Post
If you let the Rpms drop too much after missing the shift the first time then try to kick it into gear with out bringing the revs back up(i.e. not rev matching), it will make a mighty klunk noise. Always be firm with your shifts and dont limp foot it into gear.
You're probably right, it was at the end of the day, so I was probably thinking about the BBQ and Grey Goose rather than my riding!
__________________
2015 BMW S1000R Sport
2015 BMW R1200GSAW
RichBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014