Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2013, 08:32 AM   #9331
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpine rider View Post
I know this has been covered
But, can someone here confirm whether or not the Trail Tech X2 halogen dual sport will fit a 2010 690 ER?

I have read in various forums around the web, of guys running this light, but when I emailed trail tech, their opinion seems to differ:

Markus,

The X2 is meant to sit and be mounted to the top of a front fender. From what I can see, the 690’s front fender sits too low for the X2 to mount and would require a custom mount in order for you to utilize it on your bike. The other issues that may prevent an X2 installation are the factory/OEM instrument cluster and wiring. You will have to completely remove and relocate the instrument cluster for the X2 to properly mount to your front forks.

Thank you,

Keven J. Baker
TrailTech.net

Seems that at the same time my throttle went bonkers, my headlight decided to go into full nuclear melt down mode as well....never would have thunk the two were related
Yes it will work.
You will need to space it out from the fork tubs due to your speedo /Tack
s much bigger.
EASY JOB!!! I have done it !!
Old 06-15-2013, 08:37 AM   #9332
christian
Exchange your GPS Track!

Oddometer: 2,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Dad View Post
Yes it will work.
You will need to space it out from the fork tubs due to your speedo /Tack
s much bigger.
EASY JOB!!! I have done it !!
I have one on my 2010.
Either you space like baja dad said, or you make a little plate to lift up the speedo gauges simple little plate to lift the gauge about 1 1/2 inch.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:55 AM   #9333
Ontario GS
Budding Adv. Traveler

Oddometer: 386
I have a 2010 690 Enduro R and we are in the process of installing the Lynx Fairing. We are at the point of plugging back in the display console connections and we appear to have an extra male connection coming out of the console that we can't locate the female end. We feel like a pair of idiots (no comment necessary) and wonder if anybody can shed some light on this mystery connection?

In the picture below, it's the 4th connector, the reddish coloured one.

Husqvarna TE250 (The Gator) -- 10 KTM 690 Enduro

Life ain't about how fast you ride, or how high you climb, but how well you bounce.
Ontario GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:05 AM   #9334
christian
Exchange your GPS Track!

Oddometer: 2,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ontario GS View Post
I have a 2010 690 Enduro R and we are in the process of installing the Lynx Fairing. We are at the point of plugging back in the display console connections and we appear to have an extra male connection coming out of the console that we can't locate the female end. We feel like a pair of idiots (no comment necessary) and wonder if anybody can shed some light on this mystery connection?

In the picture below, it's the 4th connector, the reddish coloured one.

It's for the remote control switch. If you don't have it it stays empty
Old 06-15-2013, 10:26 AM   #9335
Ontario GS
Budding Adv. Traveler

Oddometer: 386
Thanks Christian!

Husqvarna TE250 (The Gator) -- 10 KTM 690 Enduro

Life ain't about how fast you ride, or how high you climb, but how well you bounce.
Ontario GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:35 AM   #9336
jgbnm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
As mentioned, Trail Tech x2 halogen doesn't fit without minor modifications. Light output is marginal at best. Adequate for around town where there are streetlights and general ambient lighting. Inadequate if it's really dark.

HID version has good light output, but in that price range the Baja Designs LED options are far superior in light output, quality and reliability.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
jgbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 11:43 AM   #9337
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini Trail View Post
Is there a section for how to remove stuck bolts from the embedded nuts in the tank?

I tried to remove my rack and one of the bolts was seized in the nut and the nut is turning in the plastic. I drilled the head off of the bolt so i could get to the nut but found it buried somewhere in the plastic and iat still turns. I tried oil, a little heat but i think i am going to need to grab that nut to break the bolt loose. Who here has solved this problem so i don't screw something up experimenting?
Still waiting for answers or suggestions. please ...ANYONE ???

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 01:04 PM   #9338
Pundy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
Ged, I took mine to 3 local guys that I thought would be able to somehow get that nut unseized, but to no avail. They were all paranoid of spinning it in it's spot in the tank, which would then eventually hole the tank. I ended up slicing the bolt that goes into it, and welding on an extension, then using a nut at the top to secure my G-It rack.
Pundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 03:05 PM   #9339
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 1,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoged View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pundy View Post
Ged, I took mine to 3 local guys that I thought would be able to somehow get that nut unseized, but to no avail. They were all paranoid of spinning it in it's spot in the tank, which would then eventually hole the tank. I ended up slicing the bolt that goes into it, and welding on an extension, then using a nut at the top to secure my G-It rack.
I had a similar problem on my Beta's air box. Not an easy fix but I managed to drill the nut out and silicone a new one in using industrial grade silicone. There was a heap of plastic around the nut so didn't make a hole getting it out. It will be a lot harder on the 690 tank though.

Noticed a while back how these bolts are susceptible to rusting being upside down with no where for moisture to drain out. I now remove them regularly clean and grease them.

Good luck with getting it sorted Ged
Night Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 03:23 PM   #9340
lightfighter
where does this go?

Oddometer: 2,189
Quote:

dont do this till someone else wieghs in, cuz im spitballing here, based on my airbox threaded insert coming loose on the 09 i dont have anymore....

its spinning right? spin it and heat up the plastic. pull out the threaded insert. put that in a vise, drill the remnants of bolt out, chase the threads with the appropriate tap to clean it up, then put it back into the hole with some epoxy. use a new bolt and no more that say 10nm of torque.
lightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 03:27 PM   #9341
bobzilla
Dirty Old Man

Oddometer: 874
Quote:

its a tough one.. i had one come loose and I used epoxy carefully to add girth to the nut. when I did get it out i always used anti sieze on all the bolts that are in plastic
01 DR Frankenbike 650
76 CB750
bobzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 04:07 PM   #9342
DuctTape
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by AccelRus MaxiMus View Post
Ah... they look alluringly like the new 4CS
ones from the 13 Bergs

DuctTape & Baja Dad - both of you look to
have the HDB top clamps with the Flexx...

For stiffness, or ? I just talked to HDB about
the clamps the other day - how do you like
them ?

Appears the Flexx bars prevent any of the
switch mounts from being used - or is it just
the angle of the shots ?
Here's a better pic of my 990 with the Flexx bars and all the switches installed I use for my lights, heated gear, etc and access isn't a problem.

2010 Ducati 1198S
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 05:23 PM   #9343
Uller
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightfighter View Post
dont do this till someone else wieghs in, cuz im spitballing here, based on my airbox threaded insert coming loose on the 09 i dont have anymore....

its spinning right? spin it and heat up the plastic. pull out the threaded insert. put that in a vise, drill the remnants of bolt out, chase the threads with the appropriate tap to clean it up, then put it back into the hole with some epoxy. use a new bolt and no more that say 10nm of torque.
This is how I have solved this problem in the past. Not on the 690 tank but, on the 950 tank and a snowmobile tank.

Might add.....make sure you don't push in while it is hot. Always spin it while pulling at the same time if possible. Be sure to clean both surfaces very well prior to epoxy. To reinsert grease up a bolt to hold onto, the grease is so any extra epoxy doesn't lock it in too, I always use liberal amount of anti-seize on all insert type bolts now days.
Uller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 06:28 PM   #9344
chrislitt
B-KTM-W

Oddometer: 94
Whose checker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightfighter View Post
I found a pack of assorted sizes at checker that covered me, might have cost $5.
Thanks for the tip but we don't have those guys out here. Probably can't afford California; getting harder all the time for all us. Found some on ebay and I'm not in a hurry- well, life won't let me be in a hurry on this project. I did get to go on a Fathers Day dirt bike ride today with my younger son in the Sierras. Best gift a dad could have, roaring around all day in a rock garden and tight trails with his son! Love my 300XC-W. Woops, 690 thread. Flames no doubt coming.
Donate to your causes 'cause your enemies are outspending you! 2011 R1200GS Adventure,2009 KTM 300XCW, 2009 KTM 690R, Rotarian, Member of AMA / D36, NRA, CRPA, BRC, BMW MOA 174799. Happy to still be working though it interferes with riding!
chrislitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:01 AM   #9345
alpine rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbnm View Post
As mentioned, Trail Tech x2 halogen doesn't fit without minor modifications. Light output is marginal at best. Adequate for around town where there are streetlights and general ambient lighting. Inadequate if it's really dark.

HID version has good light output, but in that price range the Baja Designs LED options are far superior in light output, quality and reliability.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Hmmmm, not the answer I was hoping to hear. Are you saying the light is marginal compared to the BD LED? That I believe....but if yer saying it's marginal compared to the stocker, then I'll keep looking.

Seems like we've got several options if one is willing to shell out 4-500 bucks. I was hoping to keep it on the cheap.

Is the X2 halogen offroad any better? I'm not going down the road of HID. If I have to spend the $$ it'll be an LED
alpine rider is offline   Reply With Quote