ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2013, 12:43 PM   #6076
JimmieA
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Eastern Canada
Oddometer: 1,185
After all the posts about the swing arm bolt I decided to check mine. First off, I bought the bike new in 2004, it has very low miles on it, always inside and lightly used. The bolt almost fell out, easy as could be. I guess I tell this because there was almost no grease on the bolt as found. Thought someone might want to know this. I greased it up and reinstalled it no issues.
__________________
JimmieA.
Atlantic Canada.
2008 Honda XL1000V Varadero
2004 Honda XR400R
JimmieA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:32 PM   #6077
DrLewall
The Human GPS
 
DrLewall's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Drakes Creek, AR
Oddometer: 30,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmieA View Post
After all the posts about the swing arm bolt I decided to check mine. First off, I bought the bike new in 2004, it has very low miles on it, always inside and lightly used. The bolt almost fell out, easy as could be. I guess I tell this because there was almost no grease on the bolt as found. Thought someone might want to know this. I greased it up and reinstalled it no issues.
oh you lucky bastid! go buy a lottery ticket now!
DrLewall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:03 PM   #6078
Clem Kevin
Nude With Boots
 
Clem Kevin's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: San Clemente, CA
Oddometer: 834
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmieA View Post
After all the posts about the swing arm bolt I decided to check mine. First off, I bought the bike new in 2004, it has very low miles on it, always inside and lightly used. The bolt almost fell out, easy as could be. I guess I tell this because there was almost no grease on the bolt as found. Thought someone might want to know this. I greased it up and reinstalled it no issues.
Mine did the same after owning it for 6 years and never checking. Love it.
Clem Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:02 PM   #6079
New2dualsport
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Maine
Oddometer: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by STFU View Post
Nice Bike, you beat me to it last week. I was ready to go buy and the owner said he had just taken a deposit. I tried to swoop in with cash, but he was a solid guy and said it was commited.

I like the 440 kit and Pumper, he said it made a huge difference, what are your thoughts on its performance?

Having had both the 400 in it's stock form and a 650 with slight mods, this bike with the 440 kit, pumper carb, and FMF exhaust RIPS. Only thing I had to do was have factory connection freshen up the rear. Did he tell you I beat him up a little on his price I had been holding out for a plated xr 400 for sometime, I almost pulled the trigger on a DRZ 400 but decided to wait sooo glad I did.
New2dualsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 04:45 AM   #6080
STFU
Found
 
STFU's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: SeaCoast, NH
Oddometer: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2dualsport View Post
Having had both the 400 in it's stock form and a 650 with slight mods, this bike with the 440 kit, pumper carb, and FMF exhaust RIPS. Only thing I had to do was have factory connection freshen up the rear. Did he tell you I beat him up a little on his price I had been holding out for a plated xr 400 for sometime, I almost pulled the trigger on a DRZ 400 but decided to wait sooo glad I did.

No, he didnt mention the sale price, but I did offer him the full price in cash that day...I was just too late.

I actually bought and sold a plated XR4 a couple of weeks ago, it came with a full SM kit (see a few pages back) but for some reason didnt "do it" for me so I sold it for a profit.

I was pretty excited to get my hands on your new bike, ended up picking up a DRZ400E for cheap and will build that.

Where in Me are you? Anywhere close to the NH border?
__________________
Tiger 955i
450 EXC
450 XC-F
XR250R
TR200 FATCAT!
STFU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 01:15 PM   #6081
SpeedoJosh
Studly Adventurer
 
SpeedoJosh's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Florida Panhandle
Oddometer: 781
Quote:
Originally Posted by STFU View Post

I actually bought and sold a plated XR4 a couple of weeks ago, it came with a full SM kit (see a few pages back) but for some reason didnt "do it" for me so I sold it for a profit.
Gosh dangit. I remember when you posted the pics in this thread . Nice looking XR. To bad it didn't make it to the classifieds here.
__________________
2000 XR250R - Tagged
1998 XR400R - To be tagged
2003 XR650R - Sold 2006 Ducati Monster -Sold
'Cause I like to party - Story of 2 XR650s conquering Florida
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=754094
SpeedoJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 05:25 AM   #6082
New2dualsport
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Maine
Oddometer: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by STFU View Post
No, he didnt mention the sale price, but I did offer him the full price in cash that day...I was just too late.

I actually bought and sold a plated XR4 a couple of weeks ago, it came with a full SM kit (see a few pages back) but for some reason didnt "do it" for me so I sold it for a profit.

I was pretty excited to get my hands on your new bike, ended up picking up a DRZ400E for cheap and will build that.

Where in Me are you? Anywhere close to the NH border?
I am in Central Maine not far from Augusta
New2dualsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 05:48 AM   #6083
XArmy
uhhhhh......
 
XArmy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Location: West Michigan
Oddometer: 33
My brother's and my old XR400's. I don't own mine (red one) any more, but I do miss her... Red is an 04, blue is a 96 and both street legal...

XArmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 03:42 PM   #6084
MartiniUp
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: TX
Oddometer: 1,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by XArmy View Post
My brother's and my old XR400's. I don't own mine (red one) any more, but I do miss her... Red is an 04, blue is a 96 and both street legal...

Nice. What headlight is that on the blue one and does it just plug in? I am going to do some night riding in CO this year and need better lights. Thanks.
MartiniUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 05:36 PM   #6085
Wallrat
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Wallrat's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Orange County, Ca
Oddometer: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartiniUp View Post
Nice. What headlight is that on the blue one and does it just plug in? I am going to do some night riding in CO this year and need better lights. Thanks.

That's the Acerbis Cyclops. Had one on my bike. Its DOT legal and works fine for street, but its pretty useless for off road.
__________________
07 565EXC
Wallrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 05:45 PM   #6086
MartiniUp
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: TX
Oddometer: 1,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallrat View Post
That's the Acerbis Cyclops. Had one on my bike. Its DOT legal and works fine for street, but its pretty useless for off road.
OK, thanks.
MartiniUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 06:17 PM   #6087
DrLewall
The Human GPS
 
DrLewall's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Drakes Creek, AR
Oddometer: 30,161
I rode the XR today

mostly pavement, some dirt...I caught myself a couple of times on pavement pretending to be a supermoto...




DrLewall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 06:46 PM   #6088
aaron2a
supermoto hooligan
 
aaron2a's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: canton, ms
Oddometer: 583
I run sumo style... Can't beat a good set of 17s...
aaron2a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 12:22 PM   #6089
JimmieA
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Eastern Canada
Oddometer: 1,185
I have run into another little snag. I converted my XR400R to electric start. It is all done and all is good except the CDI I have is the wrong one. I have the stock one and I guess a XR650R one. They are both the same and I guess neither will work. I have tried the 650 one not the 400 one but good chance the engine will not start. I need a EX400 or XR650L CDI I guess. The problem is that these units have a different plug setup, two plugs instead of my one 6 prong plug. I guess I will need a EX400 wire harness to get the proper plugs and splice them in. I'm not looking forward to that.

Anyone have smart advice on this?

The bike runs good with the kick start for now.
__________________
JimmieA.
Atlantic Canada.
2008 Honda XL1000V Varadero
2004 Honda XR400R
JimmieA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 12:47 PM   #6090
bamfslap
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmieA View Post
I have run into another little snag. I converted my XR400R to electric start. It is all done and all is good except the CDI I have is the wrong one. I have the stock one and I guess a XR650R one. They are both the same and I guess neither will work. I have tried the 650 one not the 400 one but good chance the engine will not start. I need a EX400 or XR650L CDI I guess. The problem is that these units have a different plug setup, two plugs instead of my one 6 prong plug. I guess I will need a EX400 wire harness to get the proper plugs and splice them in. I'm not looking forward to that.

Anyone have smart advice on this?

The bike runs good with the kick start for now.
That is awesome! How much weight did it add?
bamfslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014