ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2013, 08:42 AM   #31
scatland OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2013
Oddometer: 87
oh and forgot to say, bill - The previous owner lost the toolkit so I used a drinking straw VERY carefully down the sparkplug hole
scatland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:11 PM   #32
bmwktmbill
Traveler
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Traveler
Oddometer: 4,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatland View Post
oh and forgot to say, bill - The previous owner lost the toolkit so I used a drinking straw VERY carefully down the sparkplug hole
The PO is an idiot.

The drinking straw is a bad idea for me cause I cut one in half as the piston came around so fast. I'd find something metallic before disaster strikes.

bill
__________________
'02 KTM 640 Adventure-lowered
"On the road there are no special cases."
Cormack McCarthy-The Crossing

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 05:20 PM   #33
Sparrowhawk
Beastly Adventurer
 
Sparrowhawk's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Eastern Washington, USA
Oddometer: 1,731
The nice thing about using a metal rod is that you will have the opportunity to damage things when the piston comes up faster than you planned. Use it carefully if you go that route.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:35 PM   #34
bmwktmbill
Traveler
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Traveler
Oddometer: 4,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrowhawk View Post
The nice thing about using a metal rod is that you will have the opportunity to damage things when the piston comes up faster than you planned. Use it carefully if you go that route.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
yep, better to make a dedicated piece of brass/bronze brazing rod or some such.
I've used a wooden dowel too, another bad idea.

I think the last time I put it in 5th gear, chain on and cranked with the kick starter, slows things down that way and you can use the wheel to back up.
b
__________________
'02 KTM 640 Adventure-lowered
"On the road there are no special cases."
Cormack McCarthy-The Crossing

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 03:51 PM   #35
scatland OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2013
Oddometer: 87
Well something new has happened...

went on a quick ride this evening and after around 10 minutes of riding at a stop light I hear - *PING rattlerattlerattlerattle* it literally sounds as if something is rattling around the inside of the cylinder. shit

So I limped it home at as low rpm as possible, when going up the big hill that leads to where I live it was losing power accompanied by an alarming ticking noise that sounds like what you would get out of a sparking electrical socket

Well that seems like 2 grand down the drain damnit...
scatland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:00 PM   #36
bmwktmbill
Traveler
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Traveler
Oddometer: 4,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatland View Post
Well something new has happened...

went on a quick ride this evening and after around 10 minutes of riding at a stop light I hear - *PING rattlerattlerattlerattle* it literally sounds as if something is rattling around the inside of the cylinder. shit

So I limped it home at as low rpm as possible, when going up the big hill that leads to where I live it was losing power accompanied by an alarming ticking noise that sounds like what you would get out of a sparking electrical socket

Well that seems like 2 grand down the drain damnit...
Check the valves.
bill
__________________
'02 KTM 640 Adventure-lowered
"On the road there are no special cases."
Cormack McCarthy-The Crossing

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 04:16 AM   #37
scatland OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2013
Oddometer: 87
Valves checked and all in spec. rattling is worse after starting it up, seems to alternate between sounding normal and ticking with noises sounding like there is expensive stuff being crunched around
scatland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:13 AM   #38
mountaincadre
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Mid Calder,Scotland
Oddometer: 343
Scatland, ken it sounds a wee bit daft but mind these things sound ruff EVEN when running normal, have you tried the screwdriver to casing method?
mountaincadre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:03 AM   #39
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper
 
gunnerbuck's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: N.V.I, B.C.
Oddometer: 3,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatland View Post
Valves checked and all in spec. rattling is worse after starting it up, seems to alternate between sounding normal and ticking with noises sounding like there is expensive stuff being crunched around
It sounds possible that your piston may be toast... I would pull the head and have a look for a chunked apart crown... Don't run the engine any more until you get to the bottom of the problem, as you may risk further damage...
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 02:01 PM   #40
scatland OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2013
Oddometer: 87
I did Cadre, dont hear anything coming from the cylinder itself but it is unrideable and making disturbing sheraing metal noises. Going to pull apart the cylinder with the help of a mechanic who knows what he's doing and report back
scatland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:29 AM   #41
scatland OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2013
Oddometer: 87
I swear if I dont get on a bike soon i'm going to go on a rampage!!!!!!! :b aldy
scatland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 01:36 AM   #42
scatland OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2013
Oddometer: 87
Alright so had a look at the cam chain and it still has a fair bit of stretching left in it. Drained the oil and... WE'VE STRUCK GOLD!!!

Oil was full of shiny copper shavings so im guessing its a bearing of some kind in the top end but not sure what yet.
scatland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 01:23 PM   #43
scatland OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2013
Oddometer: 87
Well, Droptarotter was right

Worn rocker roller bearing which then failed catasrophically causing a load of crunching.

Parts getting replaced :-

Rocker arm roller
Camshaft

Could have been worse but, ouch.. only had this bike for 2k Miles
scatland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:25 PM   #44
bmwktmbill
Traveler
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Traveler
Oddometer: 4,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatland View Post
Well, Droptarotter was right

Worn rocker roller bearing which then failed catasrophically causing a load of crunching.

Parts getting replaced :-

Rocker arm roller
Camshaft

Could have been worse but, ouch.. only had this bike for 2k Miles
Was the cam damaged?
Pictures?

bill
__________________
'02 KTM 640 Adventure-lowered
"On the road there are no special cases."
Cormack McCarthy-The Crossing

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:50 AM   #45
scatland OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2013
Oddometer: 87
Its sitting in a workshop at the moment, Will post pics of bits when I get it back in a couple days
scatland is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014