Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2013, 10:59 PM   #3256
Boggking
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Where can I get a rear wheel respoked localy that isn't going to cost me five hundred dollars?

Thanks in advance.
BK>
Boggking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 11:25 PM   #3257
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,882
Dutch Creek!

Its all doable on big Adventure bikes so easy peasy on Dualsports. All the action is about 20km from the south end. Lycan 1 posted a pic earlier but easy to get around. Also a small land slide but about 2 feet wide for getting across. Also a small well made new bridge to cross. Can't do it in a vehicle for sure. On another note, Eureka, Montana has the best and most Adventure Bike riding known to man! Only 4 hours away. Unfreakingbelievable.
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 03:33 PM   #3258
Beema Killa
Beema Killa

Oddometer: 784
I run a Karoo front on my dirt rim (21x1.60) and a Heidenau on my 21x2.15 for fronts. I keep a 908 rear around but am in love with my rear Mefo Super Explorer. 908 rear I can only get about 900k, but the Mefo is around 8000K with the same riding. Basically the longevity of the Heidenau rear but more aggressive. It's apparently made in the same factory as the Heidenau's.
I'm on a 2011 990 Adventure that has 15000K on her.
Beema Killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:54 PM   #3259
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer: 1,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boggking View Post
Where can I get a rear wheel respoked localy that isn't going to cost me five hundred dollars?

Thanks in advance.
BK>
For $500, you could get a new wheel! Let us know if you find anyone , I have a RMZ front that needs to be trued.

Send from my Droid using Tapatalk

"No matter how many [internet] opinions you line up, you can't vote nonsense into truth"- Kevin Cameron
Mr. Canoehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:21 AM   #3260
windquest
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 574
Wheel Building

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canoehead View Post
For $500, you could get a new wheel! Let us know if you find anyone , I have a RMZ front that needs to be trued.

Send from my Droid using Tapatalk
Hey guys, I've built a number of wheels for myself and a fellow inmate. If you are still looking for truing or re-spoke send me a PM. I can post some pics of my work if interested.

Jason
Old 06-17-2013, 09:43 AM   #3261
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beema Killa View Post
I run a Karoo front on my dirt rim (21x1.60) and a Heidenau on my 21x2.15 for fronts. I keep a 908 rear around but am in love with my rear Mefo Super Explorer. 908 rear I can only get about 900k, but the Mefo is around 8000K with the same riding. Basically the longevity of the Heidenau rear but more aggressive. It's apparently made in the same factory as the Heidenau's.
I'm on a 2011 990 Adventure that has 15000K on her.

If they last that long on a 990, imagine what they would last on 650 or sub bikes!! Worth checking out for those doing big trips.

Well, my ride this weekend started at 5:45 Saturday and ended at 3:45 Monday morning...

We ran through snow, mud, rivers, random bush wacking, and lots of rocks and logs.

Castle Pass (formal name??) is now passable. There is is a 40-50 ft section of snow, then threading a needle up a hill around another deposit of snow to connect to the trail.

*** Be warned. If you pass down the other side its a point of no return. It could be the longest constant steep grade decent I've ever done. Ends up in an old trail that hasn't seen much (any?) use in many years. Almost completely overgrown by bush. You have to ride through this thick bush for a few KM's with a few stream crossings and some large logs, eventually bush wacking to get to the next trail. It was good times.

We then toured and spelunked some mines, diped our toes in some hot springs (they were warm), and ran into snow going over top of the world causing us to re-route. This pass needs a few weeks more of warm weather. We did found out that Sulpher Creek is open with only some minor washing out of the road in one section which is easily navigated by any bike size. Creek Crossing / Koko (sp?) claims appears to be snowed in yet but we did not confirm because it was about 8:45 by this time and some bikes were low on gas.

2 hours of sleep. A little tired at work but stoked for such a good weekend! Looking forward to the next! Maybe do a mid week singletrack ride.
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:07 AM   #3262
dwayne
Silly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by RED CAT View Post
Its all doable on big Adventure bikes so easy peasy on Dualsports. All the action is about 20km from the south end. Lycan 1 posted a pic earlier but easy to get around. Also a small land slide but about 2 feet wide for getting across. Also a small well made new bridge to cross. Can't do it in a vehicle for sure. On another note, Eureka, Montana has the best and most Adventure Bike riding known to man! Only 4 hours away. Unfreakingbelievable.
Always good to know...

Have you been to Utah or Colorado...it might raise the bar even from Eureka.

A "Day" of Dirt Biking Rockies East Slopes
High and Dry Colorado and Utah

"When your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail"
dwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:42 PM   #3263
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwayne View Post
Always good to know...

Have you been to Utah or Colorado...it might raise the bar even from Eureka.

I've rode Eureka, and as good as Montana and Idaho are (both are pretty damn impressive and puts our stuff to shame), I agree that Colorado and SE Utah top the rest.

Colorado is heaven for bike owners, and to me, I really like the state. It tops my list of states I'd like to live in.

Relaxed vibe, friendly people, stunning views, that ability to "get away" with easy access etc. I'd like to do a two week trip in the near future where one is spent in Moab, the next exploring loops around the Colorado mountains... droool..

For those who fish it also looks like a fishing paradise. Roads (dirt, gravel, pavement) skirt rivers and small lakes. Very little private land here. Just park your car and walk 30' and start tossing the flies.

Shibby! screwed with this post 06-17-2013 at 01:51 PM
Old 06-17-2013, 02:03 PM   #3264
Cal
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 798
Quote:
For those who fish it also looks like a fishing paradise. Roads (dirt, gravel, pavement) skirt rivers and small lakes. Very little private land here. Just park your car and walk 30' and start tossing the flies.
Hey Shibby
I just rode all the roads in the NWT's for the last 14 days and fished everyday!! What a hoot and a great way to slow down and smell the fish, dozens of em...Arctic Graying, Dolly Vardens and monster Pike! Caught one 10 lb pike

Yellowknife is only 1800kms from Calgary and yet a whole new world of gravel travel to all the Fort's and zero traffic.
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 03:27 PM   #3265
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
Hey Shibby
I just rode all the roads in the NWT's for the last 14 days and fished everyday!! What a hoot and a great way to slow down and smell the fish, dozens of em...Arctic Graying, Dolly Vardens and monster Pike! Caught one 10 lb pike

Yellowknife is only 1800kms from Calgary and yet a whole new world of gravel travel to all the Fort's and zero traffic.

And mosquitos that carry you away.... =)

That's the single biggest reason I don't go north. Sad, but true.

Sounds like a good time though! Crazy that it's that close. I think that's MOAB distance though too. Would be nice for a change. I'll do it at one point!

Have any pictures to share with us?

Old 06-17-2013, 03:50 PM   #3266
Cal
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 798
Actually I got more mosquito bites here in Calgary mowing my lawn! I plan to do a report with photos when I return from California after a visit with my son. I have lots of photos to share and some of the photos of the Nahanni are amazing.
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:56 PM   #3267
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,882
Colorado/ Utah

Yes. Rode there 2 years ago and awesome stuff. Its just that Eureka is so close and still a well kept secret. No one there and you have it all to yourself. Alberta and BC are nice but Eureka has got them beat.
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:07 PM   #3268
XSoCal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
Actually I got more mosquito bites here in Calgary mowing my lawn! I plan to do a report with photos when I return from California after a visit with my son. I have lots of photos to share and some of the photos of the Nahanni are amazing.
Looking forward to your report Cal, and any GPS track you might have. Did you get into Nahanni by bike?
XSoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 04:59 PM   #3269
Wesley J
Hoser

Oddometer: 628
Fyi there are a few of us heading for Limestone mountain on Friday. About 12-12:30 departure from NW Calgary. We're not returning to Calgary though. We're off to Buffalo lake for the weekend but any riders are welcome.

Thats assuming my POS Katoom will actually run for more than a couple of hours. Got a wet foot this morning on the way into work due to a gas line failure. The main line that connects directly to the fuel rail. Six year old bike and the fuel line fails? C'mon KTM (Krista Tows Me). Yes my wife's name is Krista and she had to tow me home today...

Threw away the gay KTM paper filter and added a serviceable inline filter. And replaced all the fuel lines.

Wish me luck.

Loving life

'07 KTM 990 Adventure
'10 KTM 300 XC-W
Wesley J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:25 PM   #3270
Fatallybitten
Slow but Sure

Oddometer: 342
My two day ride to Castle Falls Campground

Inspired by Lycan1's ride in this area a couple weeks ago which he chronicled in his thread titled "Alberta One Weekend at a Time" I loaded up the bike and pointed it south Monday morning. The weather was supposed to be good for the two days, but, as usual, it turned out differently. Not too bad, considering. In any case, I had a great time and only got sprinkled on as I was setting up my tent in the campground last night. I was far enough along that I was able to move everything inside and wait out the short shower, then finish the tent set up. If you read Lycan1's thread you will know that Castle Falls is in SW Alberta near Beaver Mines and West Castle Ski Resort. I managed to do a bunch of gravel as you will see from the photos. The only hiccup in the routing happened when I was 6.4 kms from the campground when I ran into a closed road as I tried to get to the campground from the north. I had to make a 60 km detour to get where I was going. Still, it all worked out and it is not like I was on a timetable. The campground was nice, but I should have picked a spot a bit further from the water as the noise from the river was louder than I expected and it didn't shut off all night!! One of the bonuses of having rain clouds in the area was the rainbows. There were several during the evening. Being Monday night, I had the campground to myself, although a park ranger stopped by so we had a chat and I got some tips on other spots I might try. I was up before dawn, made breakfast, packed up and was on my way this morning by 7:00. The day started off bright and sunny, but the clouds soon started to build to the west. I managed to stay out from under the big storm clouds all the way home. I had to take a few stops to admire the scenery and wait for the storm clouds to clear my path. I ended up riding in the aftermath of some severe weather, but luckily stayed dry myself. The bike, on the other hand, took a lot of elbow grease to get clean when I arrived home. I also I had to dry out my tent and bike cover which I put away wet from the heavy morning dew. The bike ran flawlessly again and I was really happy with all the gear. The only issue I had with gear was that I wasn't able to wear my Camelbak pack as there was no room with my luggage strapped on the back. I will have to see if I can rearrange things for the Yukon trip so I can fit on the seat wearing the Camelbak pack. I have to say that there was some amazing scenery and good light for taking photos. There are a few that I really like.

For those who like to look at a lot of photos here is the link to my photobucket album of the trip.

http://s1187.photobucket.com/user/fa...Castle%20Falls

For the rest of you, here is the abridged version.

Something old and something new

Anyone who has ridden west of Longview to get to the FTR will have seen this on the south side of the road

FTR

Bike posing shamelessly

Dutch Creek Road

South of Bellevue

Detour required

The campsite

Castle Falls

One of several Rainbows

Breaking Dawn

The morning started out beautifully

Spectacular part of Alberta

More Spectacular

And yet more Spectacular

Storm Clouds in my path

A good reason to take a break

It's supposed to be spring!

Yet another reason to stop and admire the scenery

Nearing Home

I am glad I did the trip, but need to go back when I have more time.

Cheers. David
Fatallybitten is offline   Reply With Quote