User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2013, 03:45 PM   #16
crazyjeeper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
Hwy 2

If you do want to take Hwy 2, I wouldn't get on it anywhere east of Wolf Point as there is heavy oil field traffic, especially from Culbertson to the ND border. In ND, you can expect heavy oil field traffic anywhere west of Hwy 83 for the most part though less so down near Bismarck.

If you want the true middle of nowhere though, take either MT hwy 200 all of the way across to Lewistown at least, or Hwy 12 from Forsyth up to Roundup is pretty deserted as well.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:43 AM   #17
GOZFST
Gozfst

Oddometer: 195
After you go over the Missouri River in Chamberlan, SD drop down S to Hwy 44 and take that to Rapid City, much more scenic. If you want a diversion take the Bad Lands Loop, it will bring you back out on 90 in Wall. For some nice roads around Rapid City there is Nemo Rd, Spearfish Canyon, and Vanocker Canyon Rd. Unfortunately it will be VERY busy with the Sturgis Rally foot draggers and very slow traffic. Watch out for the nimrods who don't ride very often and are either impaired, gawking at scenery or just bad riders.
GOZFST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:24 AM   #18
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by N-Id-Jim View Post
THe route from Mt Rushmore , west has a lot of opportunities for you across Wyoming and toward Cody.. then up the Chief joe hwy and over the Beartooth hwy, then up toward Great Falls and Choteu, east Glacier.... IMO.
+1 I lived in Wyoming for many years and rode everything out there. If you are in the Black Hills during the Sturgis Rally, forget trying to ride there, the roads/motels/restaurants/bars/etc. are literally CHOKED with people. It is a glorious place to ride but that rally draws a stunning number of people.

If you go from Gillette, Wyoming across the Powder River Basin (Hwy 14/16 loops around a bit, but is a great road, but then I hate riding Interstates) to Buffalo you can take Hwy 16 across the Bighorns to Tensleep, a fantastic high-speed sweeper ride of about 80 miles. Just gorgeous. I would suggest, though, that you stay north and go through Sheridan and then over the Big Horns on Hwy 14/14A from Dayton/Ranchester to Lovell/Powell/Cody. That route is unbelievable, steep switchbacks up, glorious sweepers across, stunning switchbacks down into the Big Horn Basin. Just before you drop off the west side of the mountains is a place called the Medicine Wheel, a beautiful site where the Native Americans built a tribute to the circle of life, well worth the time and effort to stop and walk out to see. Motels will be more plentiful in Powell than Cody and much cheaper - Cody is essentially the East Entrance to Yellowstone.

From Cody you will not find a more exciting road than the Chief Joseph Highway through Sunlight Basin and then over the Beartooth Highway to Red Lodge, Montana. I've gotten stuck in there for days riding that section over and over , just stunning. I rode over the Beartooths one July 4th waving at the skiers... Once you're in Montana there are no bad routes in the western part of the state, it is all gorgeous (except maybe right around Butte, sorry). Even I-90 through western Montana is a hoot, very little traffic, twisty and scenic; I used to ride my 1100RT across there at warp 11 because the speed limit was "reasonable and prudent", no numerical maximum!!! That's changed now, I guess. As you get closer to Glacier it gets even prettier, but also more congested and expensive because of the tourism thing. Kalispell is ridiculously pretty. My son and I did a big ride through there several years ago (turned around at Jasper, Alberta) and we enjoyed the Canadian side of Waterton-Glacier more than the American side. There were better campgrounds and fewer people on that side, but Going to the Sun Road is a must-do.

I've ridden Highway 2 all the way across NoDak and it's a great road (empty 4-lane) but there's a lot of more entertaining riding south of there if you've got the time to look it over.

Have a great trip!

Doug
Old 06-14-2013, 03:50 PM   #19
Marcin OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
So many road recommendations, so many choices, I think i'm getting overwhelmed.
Aaaaahhhhh so little time to see it all :(

Thank YOU everybody
Marcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 05:51 PM   #20
LoopGaroo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
We did chi-to-glacier last year

My wife and I rode our V-Strom 2up out to Glacier last year, starting July 30th. We basically avoided all major interstates the entire time. I don't think we ever made a reservation for campsites... we just basically relied on our iphones and gps to give us suggestions while we're one the road.

Day 1 we rode through up through Madison, detoured through the twisties in the driftless area and ended up sleeping in Minneapolis.

We continued north to Hwy 2 and took that over to Glacier. The oil traffic was there...but not bad at all. We're from Chicago, we know what bad traffic is like. The oil traffic was insignificant compared to rush hour in Chicago. I thought it was cool to see...

Hwy 2 was a little desolate though, but in a beautiful way. Very lonely and scenic. You can make good time on it. Although I got pulled over twice for speeding (warnings both times!).

We avoided The Badlands & Sturgis on the way out to avoid the rally so we decided to head through that area on our way back to Chicago. I think It was my favorite part of our trip. Spend some time out there if you can. We ended up heading south out of the badlands to Hwy 20 to Iowa, which was nice, and then hit the River Roads through Cedar Rapids, Davenport, Moline, and Dixion on the final stretch home.
LoopGaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:57 PM   #21
ts3doug
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 733
20 is definitely better than 90, but NE 2 out of alliance is fantastic. Big sweepers and a lot of train spotting.
ts3doug is offline   Reply With Quote