Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2007, 06:27 PM   #61
JAFO
displaced Jeep guy.....

Oddometer: 3,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by BooneDog
Thanks, the orange one is a 1500. It was a junker from ebay that I repaired(I actually have 4 of them, $10 each)
Those rubber bands are actually tire innertubes, cut across. Not sure what those particular ones came from. Maybe a tube from my son's xr50, or a Mt. Bike tube. In any case, they make great, heavy duty rubber bands.
s: "Ranger Bands". We used to make 'em a lot in the Army for lashing stuff down. Works a treat.

Want to sell one or two of those 1500's at a significant profit? PM me.

JAFO screwed with this post 10-16-2007 at 06:33 PM
JAFO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 06:32 PM   #62
JAFO
displaced Jeep guy.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger
I like the idea of putting the weight down low, but if you ever hit a rut in the trail whilst dirt riding every thing would come to an abrupt halt. I am a long time single track loon and this situation may never come up while on most dual sport rides. I glued together these pieces of 3"and 4" ABS with a coupler and use it for my tire irons and a thick tool roll, might be able to fit one ft tube in there as well. I use a cortech sport tail bag for every thing else and it holds plenty.
I was running a tool tube on my KLR in the classic position in front of the bashplate. Had 4 stout hoseclamps holding it in place.

That only lasted through my first serious trip offroad, last weekend. Ended up hanging by one clamp, with three absent. I tried to limp out of the woods with it like that, till I had to go fishing in waist deep mud for it.

Of course, I also bent the hell outta the alumium bashplate on my KLR- so it was a bit of abuse. I think the solution is going to be getting out the welder and adding a lower bar like the Marines use on their KLRs, off of the lower engine guard I bought from Happy Trails.

also, will likely work a smaller one in on the left rear pannier bracket once I get around to building it after I decide what size pelicans I'm going with..
Old 10-16-2007, 06:36 PM   #63
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotfoot777
hey, it doesnt take up too much space and carrying tools is a learning experiance. this is what i like to carry as bare esantials. i still have plenty of room for luggage. http://www.oldskoolklr650.com/ Also i more than likley will have to fix a broke down harley on my travels, always help a stranded biker,ps excuse my spelling.
I rode my 98 Lc4 to Cabo and back and the only thing I used my tools on was a BMW on the side of the road.
Foot dragger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 06:47 PM   #64
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,782
Last weekend I used my Moto-Fizzzz tail bag and it held all my compact camping gear and a small ice chest and everything else I needed for a over nite campout (3 origional coors included) Then i got there and took every thing not needed off the DR and went dirt riding with the local trail riding club and had a blast in the perfect traction decomposed granite after a good rain, The Moto-Fizz just kept taking more stuff and never did get really full. Its the medium. I like it!
Foot dragger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 08:18 PM   #65
JAFO
displaced Jeep guy.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by blimpman
Bought two 1550's off Ebay for $50 ea last year. I keep one on all the time for waterproof compartment to carry my laptop and briefcase back and forth to work. Add saddlebags the other 1550 for camping and touring.

thanks for the post, blimpman. That gives me a good idea how it'll fit on my KLR as I have the same rear rack. Looks like I may be able to just throw my entire ruck inside the darn thing. :)

What tires are you running?
Old 10-17-2007, 08:24 AM   #66
TwoShots
Vagabond

Oddometer: 1,450
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratplexi
I noticed you got rid of the dogs @ss (plate mount) and moved the plate to the rear fender. Can you please share some details on how you did this? Do you have any more pics showing the mod?

Also, did you have your seat recovered? How did you get rid of the big goofy Kawasaki lettering on the seat?

Thanks!!!
What Jafo said or...
I simply dremeled the lower fender off - cutting just below the license plate light. Then, I bolted a stray license plate bracket to the upper fender. Done. Sorry I don't have additional pics, Strat. Pretty easy, though.

I didn't unbolt the lower fender and remove the light because I wanted it to be there on the chance I had to work a flat tire at night. I would want a hands free light source for that.

On the seat: Acetone and a few small rags will remove the billboard lettering.

Ride on!
TwoShots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 10:00 AM   #67
bullfrog
Dismember

Oddometer: 591
Pelican1500 on the KLR...Pelican1400 on the TW...

bullfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 10:04 AM   #68
Stratplexi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoShots
What Jafo said or...
I simply dremeled the lower fender off - cutting just below the license plate light. Then, I bolted a stray license plate bracket to the upper fender. Done. Sorry I don't have additional pics, Strat. Pretty easy, though.

I didn't unbolt the lower fender and remove the light because I wanted it to be there on the chance I had to work a flat tire at night. I would want a hands free light source for that.

On the seat: Acetone and a few small rags will remove the billboard lettering.

Ride on!
Thanks for the info and advice. I am going to make both of these changes. Although they are small in nature, they really improve the looks of the bike. The mods you made were very tastefully done.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:09 PM   #69
JAFO
displaced Jeep guy.....

I actually left the lower fender on. It's soon to get a WESCO LED module from a Police cruiser as an aux brakelight. It'll be in "OMG, BRIGHT LIGHT FLASHING" mode when I apply the brakes....
Old 10-17-2007, 05:10 PM   #70
spidennis
SandStorm Adventures

Oddometer: 1,275
thermodyne case

This is a thermodyne case and I'm going to mount this to my soon to have cycleracks.com rack, but I'm not going to drill any holes in this case but use the side/corner bumpers to lash to instead. It's very light ..... but according to the site below, a bit expensive ...

http://www.quickcases.com/index.asp?...ProdID=52&HS=1

but military surplus is going for 50 bucks:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Thermodyne-Shock...ayphotohosting

List of my Spot Tracker Adventures:
http://www.spotadventures.com/user/p...?user_id=53368

spidennis screwed with this post 10-17-2007 at 05:20 PM
spidennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 09:17 PM   #71
aalegado
Team Gear Whore

Oddometer: 429
I changed my mind about the ammo can and got a Pelican 1400 case instead. I installed it on the rear rack of my KLX250 this afternoon. Took about 1.5 Cokes.

Some pics:

The rear bolt was 2" in the photo but when I found a third 1.25" bolt I replaced it so now all the bolts are the same length and extend the same distance into the case.

Wing-nuts so that the case can be removed without any tools besides my powerful Fingers-of-Steel™.

Not pictured: The lock to secure the lid since I live in Vegas, after all.

The case is raised above the rack by the nuts and washers that secure the pipe clamps. There's about 0.375" of clearance so there is room to hook bungie cords to the rack if needs be.

Should be enough room in the case for most things I take to/from work for my daily commute. Not sure about tools for the trail but I'll figure it out eventually.

aalegado screwed with this post 10-28-2007 at 09:34 PM
aalegado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 10:48 PM   #72
JAFO
displaced Jeep guy.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by aalegado
I changed my mind about the ammo can and got a Pelican 1400 case instead. I installed it on the rear rack of my KLX250 this afternoon. Took about 1.5 Cokes.

Some pics:

that is pure freakin' genius right there.

I have a KLR650 that I was mounting a 1550 to in the same location today. Spent 2 hours looking at it, trying to avoid making two steel plates with bolts in them to slide under the aftermarket rear rack crossbars so I could get it done today (not havintg the steel bar).

Had I not already drilled the freakin' holes, I'd go this route. As it is, I'm stopping at Lowe's tomorrow for steel bar, and will be digging out the welder tomorrow arvo after work- which means moving the other bike, truck's transmission/transfer case, two large pelicans full of project bits, and other crap just to get to the welder.

Bah.

:)
Old 10-28-2007, 11:16 PM   #73
motu
Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer: 4,361
My tail box is real cheap and rough 'n tough....suits the style and purpose my 1992 XT600 perfectly.I have a French Army first aid box,khaki steel and waterproof.I hold it on with hoseclips through the D rings....told you it was budget.

26 x 26 x 10 cm.Holds a six pack of cans no problems.

No pictures as my cheap camera just died.....after 5 years use I'm not worried.
motu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:28 PM   #74
señormoto
Supermoto Abuser

Oddometer: 1,110
ITT