User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2013, 03:18 PM   #1
eblack OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Defensive spray

Bought myself a 1200GS the other day and I am Alaska bound in a few weeks. I have kind of a silly question but I think it bears (no pun intended) asking-since I will be riding through Canada, where defensive sprays and guns are prohibited, what kind of alternative is out there? I know, I know, a lot of defenses are worthless against a charging grizzly, but I would like to have SOME type of defense that is legal to have, if anything just to make me feel better. I think I heard someone say somewhere through Ferris Buellers third cousin once removed that those canisters to take out wasp nests are a good alternative. Any thoughts or suggestions?
eblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 03:31 PM   #2
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 46,929
Bring a slow "friend" you don't particularly like!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 03:32 PM   #3
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,320
I thought bear spray was legal up there? It's pepper spray that is illegal. I was looking into it because I wanted to cross up to start mt CDR ride in Banff.
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 03:41 PM   #4
Gale B.T.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,373
eblack, we cross into Canada and also back into the states on the return with the large can of "Bear Spray", no problem. My choice was to purchase in Canada and I got Spike Professional Bear Deterret in the large can.

The border guards will ask I tell them I have the large can of Bear Spray. They seem to be looking for the small 'personal protection pepper type' but the large bear spray as above has been ok going up and back for at least the last 8 years in my trips, usually one per year to Canada or AK.

me 2 cent
Gale B.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 03:47 PM   #5
SJSharkfan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 598
Last year my friend and I trekked up to the arctic circle. My friend was concerned about bears so he bought some "bear spray" at a sporting goods store in Canada. It must work pretty good cause we didn't see ANY bears! Maybe it was the area we travelled, but we didn't feel we needed it. My friend probably slept better at night.

Dave
'02 R1150GS ADV "The Tank"

"I fire up the willing engine,responding with a roar.
Tires spitting gravel, I commit my weekly crime."

"Red Barchetta" By RUSH
SJSharkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 04:22 PM   #6
eblack OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Thanks for the input, I would rather HAVE food for thought than BE food for the bears. I have crossed the Canadian border many times, they always ask if I have a defensive spray, I thought that included bear sprays as well as mace and such, seems I have misunderstood. I will look into it further.
eblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 04:25 PM   #7
teomannaskali
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 649
Better to have it and not need it than not have it and need it.
teomannaskali is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 04:36 PM   #8
Willie B
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 236
I'm not thinking personal protection sprays would be effective against bears. Most standard caliber handguns aren't effective as well and the Alaskan State Police carry shot guns with slugs for defense against charging bears. A slow and timid friend would probably be your best bet. My son and his buddies got a hold of a can of bear spray I kept on my road bike for unfriendly dogs. I assumed they were a bit more intelligent than spraying one another with an aerosol bear spray. I would be happy to forward his number for a first hand product evaluation.
Willie B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 04:47 PM   #9
billdonna
Ex Coelis

Oddometer: 791
Quote:
Originally Posted by eblack View Post
Bought myself a 1200GS the other day and I am Alaska bound in a few weeks. I have kind of a silly question but I think it bears (no pun intended) asking-since I will be riding through Canada, where defensive sprays and guns are prohibited, what kind of alternative is out there? I know, I know, a lot of defenses are worthless against a charging grizzly, but I would like to have SOME type of defense that is legal to have, if anything just to make me feel better. I think I heard someone say somewhere through Ferris Buellers third cousin once removed that those canisters to take out wasp nests are a good alternative. Any thoughts or suggestions?
Set up a perimeter with claymore mines and a trip wire

Seriously, bear spray is just gonna piss 'em off. By the time you get it out of it's holster, a griz will be all over you. Your best defense is to have no food or smell of food in your camp. Any type of mace is illegal but pepper sprays are OK as long as they are not designed for use on humans. I have one I carry for dogs when I'm out walking.

Guns are OK under certain circumstances. A shotgun with slugs might make you sleep better, but no handguns or M16 type weapons. Here's the info...

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...sf5044-eng.pdf
Old 06-16-2013, 06:11 PM   #10
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,481
Maybe you should consider some place where the wildlife are friendlier. You could go to New Orleans..... as long as you avoid certain areas.
Old 06-16-2013, 07:27 PM   #11
Too Tall
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
In 2006, my daughter and I crossed the border into Canada just east of Glacier National Park. I carried true bear spray and she had the human personal defense type spray. I passed thru fine after showing them the canister but she had to sign paperwork and turn her spray over to the crossing people.

Bear spray is a more potent spray than personal defense spray and would certainly work well for her intended use.
2012 Triumph 800XC
2010 KTM 990 SMT
Too Tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:43 PM   #12
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

This reminds me of when I went through Army Basic Combat Training in 1968; we were going through bayonet training and it occurred to me that if I was close enough to need a bayonet, I was too damn close.
Old 06-16-2013, 07:50 PM   #13
River
Gee

Oddometer: 156
we camp and hike through heavy populated bear country here and have found bear bangers to be most effective...we carry bear spray as well, but that's the last resort
Old 06-16-2013, 07:56 PM   #14
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

I'm familiar with bear bells. A bear banger is.....?
Old 06-16-2013, 08:04 PM   #15
hammick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,188
As long as it is labeled as bear spray you will have no problem taking it across the border. My buddy and I both had a can on our Artic Circle trip last year.

If you live in Grizzly country you can buy it at many different places. If you don't live in Grizz country then you can get it a Cabellas or any other big box outdoor store.

I feel that in addition to bear protection it would also work to deter two legged jackoffs.
hammick is offline   Reply With Quote