Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2013, 06:41 PM   #31
michel700c
gone riding

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by xr400r View Post
so why doesn't it have a head pipe like other two strokes?
From what I understand, the latest 2 stroke direct injection systems inject fuel after the exhaust port closes, so no benefit from the expansion chamber design.
michel700c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:06 PM   #32
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,201
Actually they inject after the intake port closes. Either way the engine still gets the benefit of the increased air intake from the expansion chamber puling more air in than the piston would pull in by itself, and removing all of the exhaust gasses. The injector can then put more fuel in the combustion chamber than it could if there wasn't an expansion chamber.

k-moe screwed with this post 03-07-2013 at 07:24 PM
k-moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:36 PM   #33
kkim
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief_lee_visceral View Post
It is here Tasky's in Everett WA has them in stock.
I've had mine for about a month now. Sweet bike!!
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:15 AM   #34
sixstringsteve
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
I've had mine for about a month now. Sweet bike!!
Any chance we could get a detailed review from you? Does it ride more like a trials bike with a seat, or more like a lightweight trail/enduro bike? What's the gearing like? Is there a big gap between 3rd and 4th like a trials, bike? How many miles are you getting out of a tank? Is the suspension set up more like a trials bike, or a trail bike? Does it handle speed well, or does it feel like it's designed to go 20 mph or slower? This is my dream bike on paper, but it's tough to find out more about them since they're so new. Any insight you could provide would be great.

sixstringsteve screwed with this post 03-14-2013 at 08:23 AM
sixstringsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:00 AM   #35
Region Riley
rally kit widow

Oddometer: 3,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixstringsteve View Post
Any chance we could get a detailed review from you? Does it ride more like a trials bike with a seat, or more like a lightweight trail/enduro bike? What's the gearing like? Is there a big gap between 3rd and 4th like a trials, bike? How many miles are you getting out of a tank? Is the suspension set up more like a trials bike, or a trail bike? Does it handle speed well, or does it feel like it's designed to go 20 mph or slower? This is my dream bike on paper, but it's tough to find out more about them since they're so new. Any insight you could provide would be great.
+1

Old 03-14-2013, 11:24 AM   #36
kkim
n00b

Oddometer: 8
I've had the bike out now for 3 or 4 rides (80km total). I owned a 2005 280 Pampera which I sold last year to order the X-ride. Compared to the Pampera, the one thing that stands out of much improvement is the suspension. I've still not had a chance to dial it in yet, but just from the base settings, the X-ride is a big improvement over the essentially non adjustable Pampera.

Using a digital bathroom scale, the bike weighs 200.5 lbs with no gas in the tank as delivered. After I stripped off the turn signals, rear tail light, passenger pegs and everything else I could find, it weighed 197. The bike, fully gassed and ready to ride, now weighs in at 213.

It rides like a trials bike... but not exactly. The forks seems a bit more raked for stability and higher speeds are no problem. I also owned a 2005 280 Gas Gas TXT pro prior to this and that bike was a handful on high speed straights. In the tight trails this bike is a blessing. The light weight and torquey Sherco trials engine combination will chug you anywhere I used to have problems. At the end of the day, I don't feel as tired as I used to due to not having to manhandle the extra weight. The Pampera weighed about 225 fully loaded with fuel.

Cons- Although I love the bike, there are a few drawbacks that I'm working on. The gearing, while perfect for the trails, has a large gap between 4th and 5th (it only has 5 speeds). You never get into 4th in the trails, but when on fire roads, the bike needs to be fully wound out in 4th before shifting into 5th to avoid feeling like you missed a gear.

Gas capacity is only 7 liters. I've not had a range problem yet, but I can see this being an issue in the future. I'm trying to figure out how to mount the Hebo .8 liter front aux tank that I have left over from the Gas gas trails bike I sold. Reserve, as delivered, is only 12 ounces.

I didn't like how the seat foam raised up in the front and shaved it a bit to make the seat flatter so I can move up closer to the tank when pushing the bike on straights/corners. The auto retract sidestand is an accident waiting to happen and fortunately easily fixed by changing the pivot bolt to a button head.

Build quality is still not up to Honda quality, so expect some surprises when you work on the bike. One of the bolts, which holds the sideplate on, was stripped when I received the bike. The captive nut would spin... unfortunately, that nut is part of the airbox. The airbox needed to replaced, under warranty, to fix such a small problem. To Ryan Young's credit, he did so without question, so expect strong dealer support.

In all, I'm very happy with the bike and will only think of selling it if/when they add a 6 speed transmission or an electric start option. For me, 5'7" with a 29" inseam, the low seat height and light weight makes the bike almost perfect for my needs as a serious trail bike. With some work I'm hoping to improve it even more. On glaring oversight is the absence of an owner/service manual. I can't even begin to work with the gauge cluster as there are no instructions on how to access the functions, let alone have it display in English.

If you have any other questions or need some specs, I'd be happy to share.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:21 AM   #37
Brods1675
Giant

Oddometer: 120
Cool2

I'm interested in one of these for my daughter - who has well and truly outgrown her trusty CRF100. She's around 5'8" tall, but only 12 years old. She's pretty handy on a bike, having ridden some bigger bikes.

Just hoping for a big tax return to pay for one.

Any future updates on this bike appreciated!
Old 06-10-2013, 06:46 PM   #38
Petrolburner
Noise Maker

Oddometer: 534
Just discovered this bike, may have to run up to Everett to check one out.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:18 PM   #39
palmstatecrawler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 462
Looks like fun! I was thinking of getting an ossa explorer but not any time soon now.
'13 KTM 690 Enduro R w/ full akrapovic exhaust, Evo1 lid, uni filter, Renazco seat, hard parts windshield and footpad, scotts damper with BRP submount, hammerhead shifter, flatlands skidplate, lost dog centerstand, Touratech engine guards, r&g front and rear axle and exhaust sliders, piaa 1100's, Doubletake mirrors, G2cam system,
'07 Kawasaki KLX250, '86 Yamaha BW80
palmstatecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:28 PM   #40
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
I've had the bike out now for 3 or 4 rides (80km total). I owned a 2005 280 Pampera which I sold last year to order the X-ride. Compared to the Pampera, the one thing that stands out of much improvement is the suspension. I've still not had a chance to dial it in yet, but just from the base settings, the X-ride is a big improvement over the essentially non adjustable Pampera.

Using a digital bathroom scale, the bike weighs 200.5 lbs with no gas in the tank as delivered. After I stripped off the turn signals, rear tail light, passenger pegs and everything else I could find, it weighed 197. The bike, fully gassed and ready to ride, now weighs in at 213.

It rides like a trials bike... but not exactly. The forks seems a bit more raked for stability and higher speeds are no problem. I also owned a 2005 280 Gas Gas TXT pro prior to this and that bike was a handful on high speed straights. In the tight trails this bike is a blessing. The light weight and torquey Sherco trials engine combination will chug you anywhere I used to have problems. At the end of the day, I don't feel as tired as I used to due to not having to manhandle the extra weight. The Pampera weighed about 225 fully loaded with fuel.

Cons- Although I love the bike, there are a few drawbacks that I'm working on. The gearing, while perfect for the trails, has a large gap between 4th and 5th (it only has 5 speeds). You never get into 4th in the trails, but when on fire roads, the bike needs to be fully wound out in 4th before shifting into 5th to avoid feeling like you missed a gear.

Gas capacity is only 7 liters. I've not had a range problem yet, but I can see this being an issue in the future. I'm trying to figure out how to mount the Hebo .8 liter front aux tank that I have left over from the Gas gas trails bike I sold. Reserve, as delivered, is only 12 ounces.

I didn't like how the seat foam raised up in the front and shaved it a bit to make the seat flatter so I can move up closer to the tank when pushing the bike on straights/corners. The auto retract sidestand is an accident waiting to happen and fortunately easily fixed by changing the pivot bolt to a button head.

Build quality is still not up to Honda quality, so expect some surprises when you work on the bike. One of the bolts, which holds the sideplate on, was stripped when I received the bike. The captive nut would spin... unfortunately, that nut is part of the airbox. The airbox needed to replaced, under warranty, to fix such a small problem. To Ryan Young's credit, he did so without question, so expect strong dealer support.

In all, I'm very happy with the bike and will only think of selling it if/when they add a 6 speed transmission or an electric start option. For me, 5'7" with a 29" inseam, the low seat height and light weight makes the bike almost perfect for my needs as a serious trail bike. With some work I'm hoping to improve it even more. On glaring oversight is the absence of an owner/service manual. I can't even begin to work with the gauge cluster as there are no instructions on how to access the functions, let alone have it display in English.

If you have any other questions or need some specs, I'd be happy to share.
I just saw this post so I'm a little late to the party.

I think your meter is made by Trail Tech in the USA, so you can get a manual for it from them. If you still don't have a manual for the bike you can get info from the T Ride for chassis parts and the Trials bike for the engine/transmission.
If you don't mind loseing some top speed, lower final gearing will help the bog when shifting to fifth.

How do you like the suspension now? Have you made any changes?
My T Ride forks are quite over sprung. I need to find some lighter springs for it.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:26 AM   #41
milzispete
Conquistador

Oddometer: 234
I love these type of bikes and could not wait for the t-ride, x-ride or Ossa to be released so I put an order in for a Freeride 350 as soon as I heard about them. These type of trail bikes are jsut fantastic and when the inevitable happens and I launch it of a cliff due to over exuberance I'm buying a T-ride...
Not only is it a full 20kg lighter....well....it's backflipable. Who can argue with that
Old 06-16-2013, 09:57 PM   #42
anonny
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 5,430
I just got a quick test ride on one in the dealers parking lot, cool ride! I gotta thank Cascade motosports in Mission BC for letting me ride it, classy touch a lot of dealers are missing.

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Just another pathetic sheep following the herd

anonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:43 PM   #43
BunduBasher
n00b

Oddometer: 3
From what I can make out the Sherco X-ride and Ossa explorer both use the GasGas pampera 280 engine.

I used to have a gasgas pamp 280 and loved it.
BunduBasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 06:25 PM   #44
shearboy2004
KIWIINUSA

Oddometer: 4,298
I believe Sherco having been making their own engines for a very long time , I think it is their trails engine maybe tweaked ?
07 Sherco 450 called BLING.
07 Sherco 510 called Holy Shit .
shearboy2004 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:10 PM   #45
Petrolburner
Noise Maker

Oddometer: 534
The Sherco motor looks about the same as the motor in my Sherco, which is excellent BTW.