Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2013, 03:09 PM   #1
Lostin OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Asia or America's for 1 year travel, can't decide

Hi all!

In 2014 I and my girlfriend (both Russians) planning to make the dream real and drive our Dr's for an epic journey)

The main question for us is what part of our great planet to visit - Asia or Two Americas. Problem is that we would not be able to rise big sum of money to ride everywhere. Europe is not interesting for us because we visit it several times, nothing new happens there for 1000 years and nothing would happen there for may be 1000 years)) it is relatively near and we can go there whenever we want in the future, Africa, I do not know what wrong with it, but I do not want to go there. So, there is Americas and FarEast Asia left.

Asia
+ everything is cheaper (food, fuel and accommodation)
+ not need to ship bikes by air or sea (except from Nepal to Bangkok, but it is way cheaper than from Europe to USA), saves tons of money and time
+ Hospitality, general safety in region
+ No visas at all for Russians, except India

- climate (too hot and high humidity) for motorbike with full gear
- we already been there by bicycles (Thai, Vietnam, Laos and Sri Lanka) and surfing (Indonesia, Singapore) for 3 times, so nothing new in culture, food and etc for us
- relatively small countries for riding motorbikes
- no work for gringos))
- Carnet is the must

Americas (USA, Canada, Central America, South America)

+ absolutely new region for us, never been there, except short trip to Canada 10 years ago (food, people and etc - everything new)
+ it is big adventure, a lot of kilometres for our Dr's, a lot of space for riding
+ climate is better in general for riding
+ we can try to find some work in USA (more chances) or Canada (less chances)
+ No need for carnet

- sending two bikes by sea from Europe will cost us minimum $5500-$6000 for both ways + shipping bikes between columbia and panama ($1000-1400 for two bikes), this money, all in all $7000-$8000 we can spend in Asia for half a year or even more, surfing, riding and eating fantastic food on different small island all over SEA Asia
- in general - petrol, food and accommodation costs more than in Asia even if we plan to use the tent
- American visa

As you can see there a really big dilemma for us and I would be glad for piece of advise from travellers who visited both parts or who got experience in such controversial questions. Thank you all in advance

Lostin screwed with this post 06-10-2013 at 03:20 PM
Lostin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:52 PM   #2
FotoTEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,720
You would be better off buying bikes here in US than shipping. Then sell when you leave. Russians are generally accepted well here in USA as long as you respect American Values and traditions. You speak great English so that will not be a problem.
FotoTEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:59 PM   #3
Witold
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 661
Everything you said is pretty accurate - and I prefer Asia myself for all the reasons that you mentioned - but if you've never been to North/Central/South America, it will always be on your 'to-do' list. You might as well do it now.

Especially considering the time frame of 1 year, I think the answer is clear: Americas.

If you do end up doing Asia, you should do the 'Stans/India/Nepal and then ship to Malaysia and do Indonesia and Philippines. I also think SE Asia is great... but the riding there is nothing special. When I'm there, I don't even get the itch for a 'proper motorcycle ride'.

Last but not least, you can always do Asian countries in the future just by flying to them and renting motorcycles. You can fly to India and rent or buy a motorcycle for super cheap and have fun for a few weeks. If you buy, your costs will be very minimal. That is something that simply isn't going to happen in the Americas. In the Americas, even if you find a motorcycle rental place, it will cost you thousands of dollars for a few weeks. $70-120/day adds you very fast.
Witold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 03:22 AM   #4
Lostin OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTEX View Post
You would be better off buying bikes here in US than shipping. Then sell when you leave. Russians are generally accepted well here in USA as long as you respect American Values and traditions. You speak great English so that will not be a problem.
Thank you for the reply, my English, especially writing one is far from perfect(( always got bad marks at school

Ye, I was also thinking about buying bikes in US, as even foreigner can get the plates for it, as far as I know. Big advantage of this option is that Americans are so lucky and got such a sweeeeeeeet price for bikes comparing to Russia, but the major issue is to find two Dr's in one state for a good price, register it and etc.... Of course it is possible, but may be it would be the headache similar to shipping bikes from Europe. Don't know yet)

And yes, I really want to smell, feel and taste all Americans traditions and values that were putted in our brains from childhood by Hollywood

Lostin screwed with this post 06-11-2013 at 03:27 AM
Old 06-11-2013, 03:26 AM   #5
Lostin OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witold View Post
Everything you said is pretty accurate - and I prefer Asia myself for all the reasons that you mentioned - but if you've never been to North/Central/South America, it will always be on your 'to-do' list. You might as well do it now.

Especially considering the time frame of 1 year, I think the answer is clear: Americas.

If you do end up doing Asia, you should do the 'Stans/India/Nepal and then ship to Malaysia and do Indonesia and Philippines. I also think SE Asia is great... but the riding there is nothing special. When I'm there, I don't even get the itch for a 'proper motorcycle ride'.

Last but not least, you can always do Asian countries in the future just by flying to them and renting motorcycles. You can fly to India and rent or buy a motorcycle for super cheap and have fun for a few weeks. If you buy, your costs will be very minimal. That is something that simply isn't going to happen in the Americas. In the Americas, even if you find a motorcycle rental place, it will cost you thousands of dollars for a few weeks. $70-120/day adds you very fast.
Absolutely true, also thinking in similar way...
Old 06-11-2013, 05:37 AM   #6
blek
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Whenever you are nearing Sumbawa Island in lesser sunda islands penisula, let me know.

A nice thread for you may find useful if you plan to visit Indonesia: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=824611
blek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:31 AM   #7
Lostin OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blek View Post
Whenever you are nearing Sumbawa Island in lesser sunda islands penisula, let me know.

A nice thread for you may find useful if you plan to visit Indonesia: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=824611
Thank you very much for inviting me at your great county, I fall in love to Indonesia during last winter, 3 months of surfing on bali is one of the best time in my life.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:46 AM   #8
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,823
I don't think climate is "better" or "worse" in either direction, as you're talking about entire continents, both of them will have all imaginable kinds of weather at any given moment, just depends on where you are, and the time of the year. And altitude.

if money is important then Asia, especially the warmer parts of it, will probably be cheaper. But if Americas is all new to you, then it's a tough choice.

..Do them both??
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:23 PM   #9
Lostin OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post
I don't think climate is "better" or "worse" in either direction, as you're talking about entire continents, both of them will have all imaginable kinds of weather at any given moment, just depends on where you are, and the time of the year. And altitude.

if money is important then Asia, especially the warmer parts of it, will probably be cheaper. But if Americas is all new to you, then it's a tough choice.

..Do them both??
Americas are very long, of course weather will change dramatically, but most part of SE Asia is above equator, so it would be definitely rainy season or dry season depending on time we start. It is really tough choice, that is why I start this thread, a lot of controversial feelings. Doing them both is my favorite dream)
Old 06-11-2013, 11:25 PM   #10
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,230
Asia.
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:57 PM   #11
pzs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
asia... you can ride your way down to Australia from there, for an added option if time permits.
pzs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:03 PM   #12
8gv
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,347
Americas...

You will be welcomed here.

We will benefit from your presence here.

We have BBQ!
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:23 PM   #13
Lostin OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
Americas...

You will be welcomed here.

We will benefit from your presence here.

We have BBQ!
Pleased to hear such things, thank you!

BBQ rocks!!!
Old 06-17-2013, 02:00 AM   #14
cycleadventure
n00b

Oddometer: 4
both places are good but i think asia is better

Both places that you have chosen are really good places.. but I think with my cycling and travelling experience, its better to stick to Asia.. Can have Lot of fun at a much affordable rate..
cycleadventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:09 AM   #15
spinney
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Even though I'm very clearly biased towards America being that I'm from here I honestly think America is the better choice. I haven't been to Asia so I can't really comment based on experience but from what I've seen you'll have a much easier, albiet more expensive time in America.

Plus like someone mentioned earlier, BBQ!
spinney is offline   Reply With Quote