Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2013, 05:14 PM   #16
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 927
If you have not left Hermosillo, take Mex 16 east . Great road. Stop at the waterfall at Basesechi just past the Chihuahua state line. 8,000 ft, pine forests
Turkeycreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:52 PM   #17
charlieS OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Days 2-3, Learning And Burning

I think the heat isn’t as bad now. Or I’m getting used to it.

My ass and back, however, are quite sore. Today (#3) was only 300 miles, but included a policia detour 25+miles off Mex 15.

Learnings #1: If you are ever faced with a detour, it can go a *long* way… but when local police are stationed at an intersection, that’s where you turn.

Learnings #2: (ok, this isn’t new, but I needed more than one to make a list) if you see a sign like this, and are hungry; stop! Most delicious tacos I’ve had yet.

Day 2, was a desert run down to Hermosillo. It wasn’t nearly as far as the first insane day, but the heat was brutal

Day 3, I took my time getting to Los Mochis (300 miles), taking lots of detours. There wasn’t much to write home about, but it was great to see a some countryside and rural villages. Every time I stopped, some 20-something, speaking perfect English (and, it turns out, has lived in California before), would run over to ask about the bike. They are shocked to learn the displacement (1200cc), as most bikes in Mexico are less than 500.

That reminds me,

Learnings #3: not my own discovery–I read about it on advrider long ago–but if you have a choice to pay for the toll road, or take the free road: libre all the way! It’s slower, but so much better to take a rural road than a freeway. The turns are all marked, and as long as you know the name of the next major town, just follow the signs! If you’re dodging potholes so numerous and large, you start to think the dirt next to road looks better, you’re on the right track.

I’m on a roll now:

Learnings #4: GPS. Turn it the fuck off. OK, not off off. But don’t input your next destination – navigating via road signs isn’t that hard. There is something about that voice telling you “go here, 45 miles.. etc” that makes you keep riding when stopping is a much better idea. I think I stopped at least 10 times today.
Old 06-16-2013, 06:57 PM   #18
charlieS OP
Adventurer

and to follow up on the previous dilemma: I decided to head South. I'll save Copper Canyon and colonial Mexico for the next trip, when the g/f can come :)
Old 06-16-2013, 07:04 PM   #19
charlieS OP
Adventurer

And in terms of the motorcycle, it's running well, though the rear tire is showing some wear from the heat and rough roads. Today I added 1/3 quart of oil. And had to re-fasten my license plate - it was hanging on with just one screw (which was loose) after some extremely rough roads. Thankfully, some nice dude pointed this out, and tightened the wing nut for me (while I was digging through my tools to find some wire, which I used to tie off the other side).
Old 06-16-2013, 09:35 PM   #20
vicmitch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
Weather in nice and cool here in the southern highlsnd. I'm in Uruapan and it was about 75 during the day, Guadalajara about the same. i left the coast (San Blas) because I couldn't take the heat. I also vote for 16 east maybe to 24 south. Heading towrds Morelia tomorrow. I'll be following your report, maybe we'll meet on the road.

Mitch

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=886176
vicmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:02 PM   #21
charlieS OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicmitch View Post
Weather in nice and cool here in the southern highlsnd. I'm in Uruapan and it was about 75 during the day, Guadalajara about the same. i left the coast (San Blas) because I couldn't take the heat. I also vote for 16 east maybe to 24 south. Heading towrds Morelia tomorrow. I'll be following your report, maybe we'll meet on the road.

Mitch

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=886176
Hi Mitch!

I'll be in Mazatlan tomorrow (June 17). I'll either be there 2 days, and then Puerto Vallarta for a few days (I know someone who is visiting there), OR I'll be heading for Guadalajara on Tuesday. Hard to say at this point (leaning toward getting further inland).

-Charlie
Old 06-17-2013, 03:09 AM   #22
Blind Warrior
Lost in the Ozone

Oddometer: 357
Hey Charlie,

You might want to try for a town called San Blas if you are heading South. Mazatlan is like an aging beauty queen. Don't get me wrong, there is plenty still good about Mazatlan, but since most of the Cruise Ships stopped calling, she had let herself go a bit. If you have never been to Mazatlan before then you might not notice, so your view may not be tinted by her former glory.

San Blas, on the other hand, is a Gringo hang out a little further South, and will get you on some nice two lane black top. This is not a Gringo town like Puerto Vallerta with high rise ocean view condos. It has a much grittier feel. The Gringo's are mostly exiles from the great frenzy up North types, not the condo on the beach crowd. And the back roads South from San Blas are quite fun.

But whatever you choose, you will have an opportunity to have fun.

"The United States is a nation of laws: badly written and randomly enforced." - Frank Zappa
Blind Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:15 PM   #23
charlieS OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Warrior View Post
Hey Charlie,

You might want to try for a town called San Blas if you are heading South. Mazatlan is like an aging beauty queen. Don't get me wrong, there is plenty still good about Mazatlan, but since most of the Cruise Ships stopped calling, she had let herself go a bit. If you have never been to Mazatlan before then you might not notice, so your view may not be tinted by her former glory.
Interesting! Well, I'm in Mazatlan now (and I've never been here before). It seems great so far
Old 06-17-2013, 01:59 PM   #24
Blind Warrior
Lost in the Ozone

How hot was the ride from Hermosillo? Did you take the libre again? Where do you think will you head from Mazatlan?

"The United States is a nation of laws: badly written and randomly enforced." - Frank Zappa
Old 06-17-2013, 03:57 PM   #25
charlieS OP
Adventurer

The heat wasn't too bad - I left Hermosillo early in the morning. Yes, I took every libre opportunity to Los Mochis.

The next day, Los Mochis to Mazatlan, I took libre half way, and the final dash from Culiacan I took the cuota (which was a mistake.. nothing to see at ALL). It was 90-96˚ the whole way. Not bad :)

I also realized I had my seat adjusted incorrectly, so I was rolling forward slightly. After raising the front, I was much more comfortable!

I'll be here in Mazatlan today and tomorrow, then Puerto Vallarta (sigh, I promised someone I'd visit).

THEN! Then, I make my way to Oaxaca.
Old 06-17-2013, 04:29 PM   #26
Blind Warrior
Lost in the Ozone

You are probably aware of this:

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at2...daynl#contents

This will most likely drop a lot of rain in the Veracruz area on Wed/Thur, but the southerly track puts it close to Oaxaca. It might be worth keeping an eye on.

Old 06-17-2013, 05:06 PM   #27
charlieS OP
Adventurer

Thanks Blind Warrior - I have actually not been paying attention to any weather :)

This means I definitely want to take the south/westerly route to Oaxaca, not the quick "around mexico city" route.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:36 PM   #28
ahwarm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
A little late now but 8 miles from Westmoreland is a town called Brawley and it has plenty more options then Westmoreland. Did you eat at the Town Pump? (I think it's called). I've traveled through that town 100 times on my way to Glamis and have never eaten there.

Love the RR so far. Keep it up!

Andy
ahwarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:54 AM   #29
charlieS OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahwarm View Post
A little late now but 8 miles from Westmoreland is a town called Brawley and it has plenty more options then Westmoreland. Did you eat at the Town Pump? (I think it's called). I've traveled through that town 100 times on my way to Glamis and have never eaten there.

Love the RR so far. Keep it up!

Andy
Hi, ahwarm :)

I did eat at Town Pump. Which, is funny, because in Montana there's a gas station named Town Pump.. anyway..

It's fairly decent, and better than I was expecting. But not great.
I splurged on the local ribeye (Brandt ranch?). It wasn't aged, so there was a lot of fat. The flavor was good, but that could have been due to the copious amounts of pepper they coated it with :)

The most disappointing part, is that they brought it out nearly sizzling, and juice was all over the plate. Textbook "how not to serve steak." It was tasty, but I suspect I would have been happier with the burger.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:53 AM   #30
Sjoerd Bakker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,248
Intresting so far. Obviously not your first trip in Mexico...
Good to hear your planning is limited.... but it sounds to me as if you really do have a plan already as you mention having a meeting-up to get to in PV.
A thought though, you say you are doing "two weeks " in Mexico but time window that could bite you if you do really go all the way to Oaxaca ,the city and state.By the time you get done your PV visit the first week will be used up.Going all the way to OAX would leave you no time to make a comfortable leisurely ride back north to your (awaiting? ) job. There are more than enough roads on shorter routings to keep you amused for the duration and certainly if you make a point of stopping more than ONLY ten times in a day.
Maybe take PV as the turnaround point and pick up a bunch of neat roads through interior Mexico northward.
For instance PV to San Sebastian and Mascota and Ameca to Guadalajara and Mex 23 north to Fresnillo . Lots of scenic stuff inthe hills there.
Or at most carry on south on Mex 2oo to Manzanillo and there take the roads inland to Minatitlan , Colima and wander around the back roads at foot of Volcan Nevado de Colima , then libres up to Guadalajara etc etc .
Up north you can do the loop from Hidalgo del Parral to Guachochi, Creel, side trip to view Copper Canyon vistas , then north to the US border .
Sjoerd Bakker is offline   Reply With Quote