Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2013, 06:53 AM   #1
btblueskies OP
BTBlueSkies

Oddometer: 160
TAT - July 2013 - Schedule to meet other riders on the trail

Hello fellow inmates....

This July I start my first attempt on the TAT. Actually, I am only going to do half of it starting in Colorado at Branson and heading from there to Oregon with a couple side trips in Colorado, one of which is the good o'l Black Bear Pass (provided it is open in the first/second week of July).

I would like to be able to meet up with others who may be on the trail at that time such that I can have a partner or two for a good part of the ride, and thus this is the purpose of this post.

I am in Richmond VA, and the first task is to ride to Amarillo TX and spend a day with family. Then north to my home country in okalahoma and south east colorado. Then, I'll pick up the official TAT around Kenton Oklahoma and stay on the TAT until Ouray CO where I will divert up to Meeker Co for a day or two to spend with my mummy and take a much needed bath ;) Than back down to Ouray for Black Bear Pass, back out over Emagene Pass, then back to the official TAT route. I'll stay on the TAT from there to Oregon and then coast down the pacific coast highway for a ways then b-line it back to Virginia for a coast to coast ending.

Since I am making several personal diviances from the official TAT, I have not been able to secure a second rider and am thus looking to join with any others if the schedules match. I'll know the specifics of the schedule as it gets closer to July and will update accordingly.

I'd like to know if you or anyone you know of will be on the trail about the same place and time as me... so we can meet up and possibly ride together. If that is you, I'd love to know.

Please fwd this to anyone you may know of who may be in those areas at those times.

I am on a beastly GSA btw... so I am not as fast as those little dirt rockets ;)

Smiles,
Karl
btblueskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:00 AM   #2
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,647
Black Bear on a GSA...... oooh this is gonna be good
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:52 AM   #3
btblueskies OP
BTBlueSkies

I have my first sure date.. well mostly sure that is. Sure enough I will be able to make it within a 2 day window :)

Branson Colorado, Evening of July 6th to morning of July 7th.

If you will be through this spot about this time, let me know and I can make adjustments to meet your schedule.

Also, I am putting together a real time photo project that will upload Geo tagged images to a map on flicker a couple times an hour. I'll post the url next week when I have the system complete.

Smiles,
Karl

btblueskies screwed with this post 06-17-2013 at 09:26 AM
Old 06-25-2013, 08:47 PM   #4
btblueskies OP
BTBlueSkies

TAT... Time is close

If you see me getting close to where you are... ping me :)

Hey everyone...

I have got the final set of links for my trip. I'll be leaving on July 3, and hopefully returning. I expect the trip to take 3-4 weeks.

Link One. GPS Spot. This link updates every 10 minutes. It is just a dot on the map showing where I was last. This should run 24/7 (except when I am changing the batteries).

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...l0pPgb28EyW3ju

Two links to Flickr. This will show the pictures taken from a statically mounted camera on the motorcycle. This will update in near real time as I travel... as the pictures are captured they will be automatically uploaded with GPS-Tags and you can see daily what I am seeing :)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/49616329@N05/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/4961632...rder_by=recent

I have a gimic for my traveles... once a day I will be 'accidentally' running over a Dora the Explorer doll. Look for that picture daily and Smile! .. I am having a good time.

Smiles,
Karl
Old 07-17-2013, 12:00 PM   #5
jspringator
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 379
I saw you at the Frankfort, KY Starbucks today.

Subscribed!

2000 ST1100 ABS
jspringator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:10 PM   #6
btblueskies OP
BTBlueSkies

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspringator View Post
I saw you at the Frankfort, KY Starbucks today.

Subscribed!
I remember :)

I had a constant stream of technical issues... but in the end I have 4100 pictures uploaded to the map... and another 3k+ to upload. I'll be working through the technical issues and have my system on version 2 in the next week or so.... I was surprised that the GPS's were the biggest failure point. 4 of them failed to deliver for various reasons. The Garmins simply drop out, the microsoft GPS dongle just died (as in it won't even turn on any more), and the Adafruit unit started sending trash data. I don't know the reasons... but I will find a solution. The rest of the system worked quite pretty good.

Besides the GPS's... the GoPro wifi backpacks for the 2 series would turn off even though they were advertised to draw power from the main unit... and since I had the main unit on constant power, I was disappointing in this product. I will try the GoPro 3 series with the built in WiFi next...

The phone also would overheat and turn off... it's a samsung galaxy note ii. I didn't expect that. I ended up wrapping it in a white slim towel to keep the sun off of it and that solved that problem.

The Raspberry Pi's worked great... but the wireless drivers would drop connections and I had to create a monitor to 'auto-re-connect'.

And last... flickr will only display photos in the order uploaded... so the sequencing was off. I thought I had a fix for that but in the end things were still out of order.

I'll be re-uploading the images in the right order this week, so the parts of the trail I rode will be in a user-view able-friendly-sequence by soon.

I loved the trip and this project.... the photo project took about 10 days of the 35 days I had... so I skipped nevada. (and I didn't want to do that section anyway ;)

The oregon fires put a kibach on the last two days in that state, but I did the Pacific Coast Highway instead... loved it !

Catch you another day.

Smiles,
Karl

btblueskies screwed with this post 08-05-2013 at 03:29 PM
Old 01-14-2014, 12:51 PM   #7
Trust
I'll fix that

Oddometer: 1,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by btblueskies View Post
The Raspberry Pi's worked great... but the wireless drivers would drop connections and I had to create a monitor to 'auto-re-connect'.
Do you have a writeup on what you did with the raspi?
If you dont remember, sky, ground,sky,ground,sky, ground, treeeeeee! You passed out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkidMarx View Post
Herding drunk cats drunk. That takes it up a notch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
YOOOOOOOOOLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
Give me riding.
Trust is online now   Reply With Quote