ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-16-2013, 10:42 PM   #16
River
Gee
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Oddometer: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
I'm familiar with bear bells. A bear banger is.....?
its like a flare, but makes a loud boom


I keep small firecrackers in my pocket as well.
__________________
Everyone has their own rhythm....so find it and lets jam
River is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 11:02 PM   #17
GS Addict
Pepperfool
 
GS Addict's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Sunshine Coast B.C.
Oddometer: 3,627
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
I'm familiar with bear bells. A bear banger is.....?
Bear bells only worked for the first season, now the are dinner bells
__________________
Old enough to know better....
Young enough to try it again
GS Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 11:04 PM   #18
GS Addict
Pepperfool
 
GS Addict's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Sunshine Coast B.C.
Oddometer: 3,627
Quote:
Originally Posted by eblack View Post
Bought myself a 1200GS the other day and I am Alaska bound in a few weeks. I have kind of a silly question but I think it bears (no pun intended) asking-since I will be riding through Canada, where defensive sprays and guns are prohibited, what kind of alternative is out there? I know, I know, a lot of defenses are worthless against a charging grizzly, but I would like to have SOME type of defense that is legal to have, if anything just to make me feel better. I think I heard someone say somewhere through Ferris Buellers third cousin once removed that those canisters to take out wasp nests are a good alternative. Any thoughts or suggestions?
Here in BC you'll never have an issue with the large can and the explanation "I camp in all sorts of remote places"
__________________
Old enough to know better....
Young enough to try it again

GS Addict screwed with this post 06-16-2013 at 11:19 PM
GS Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 11:09 PM   #19
River
Gee
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Oddometer: 171
__________________
Everyone has their own rhythm....so find it and lets jam
River is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 03:30 AM   #20
billdonna
Ex Coelis
 
billdonna's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Niagara, Canada
Oddometer: 973
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
This reminds me of when I went through Army Basic Combat Training in 1968; we were going through bayonet training and it occurred to me that if I was close enough to need a bayonet, I was too damn close.
Yeah, but they`re awfully comforting to have when the mag is dry

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammick View Post
I feel that in addition to bear protection it would also work to deter two legged jackoffs.
Agreed... the two legged animals worry me waaay more.
__________________
I do not intend to tiptoe through life, only to arrive safely at death
billdonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:02 AM   #21
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Oddometer: 5,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by billdonna View Post
Set up a perimeter with claymore mines and a trip wire

Seriously, bear spray is just gonna piss 'em off. By the time you get it out of it's holster, a griz will be all over you. Your best defense is to have no food or smell of food in your camp. Any type of mace is illegal but pepper sprays are OK as long as they are not designed for use on humans. I have one I carry for dogs when I'm out walking.

Guns are OK under certain circumstances. A shotgun with slugs might make you sleep better, but no handguns or M16 type weapons. Here's the info...

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...sf5044-eng.pdf
thanks ... was thinking of bringing into Canada, Springfield Armory M6 Scout .22 Hornet/.410 .. packs real small.

.22 Hornet shells are custom loaded to produce 650+ ft lb energy. same for .410 shells, custom sized barrel loaded to 1250+ ft lb range.

a big ole can of bear spray purchased in Canada seems to be the best choice.
_cy_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:43 AM   #22
Rockmuncher
Studly Adventurer
 
Rockmuncher's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Western Canada
Oddometer: 777
Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
thanks ... was thinking of bringing into Canada, Springfield Armory M6 Scout .22 Hornet/.410 .. packs real small.

.22 Hornet shells are custom loaded to produce 650+ ft lb energy. same for .410 shells, custom sized barrel loaded to 1250+ ft lb range.

a big ole can of bear spray purchased in Canada seems to be the best choice.
Don't bring a gun, you'll have to donate it to the government and go home. I know big game hunters can bring in a rifle, but the storage regulations here would make it impossible to do it on a bike. Besides, a .22 won't even get a bears attention and a .410 will just piss him off. Bear spray and a clean camp is the way to go.
Rockmuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:32 AM   #23
bobframe
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Northeast GA
Oddometer: 218
Wyoming Fishing Guides

I have friends who are full time fishing guides in remote areas of Wyoming that are home to Black Bears and Grizzlies. They recommend bear spray.

Remember, your aim with spray is not critical because the spray can shoots a "cone" of spray. With a firearm, your aim is everything. So, how good is your aim with a roaring, foaming-at-the-mouth thousand pound mass of muscle, claws and teeth is three seconds from ripping your face off? Seriously, are you that cool?

And if you are in the middle of a bear attack, just getting your hand on the spray can's trigger may discourage the bear. You may spray yourself too, but that beats the hell out of being mauled.

I'll take spray over a gun every time.
bobframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:19 AM   #24
GS Addict
Pepperfool
 
GS Addict's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Sunshine Coast B.C.
Oddometer: 3,627
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmuncher View Post
don't bring a gun, you'll have to donate it to the government and go home. I know big game hunters can bring in a rifle, but the storage regulations here would make it impossible to do it on a bike. Besides, a .22 won't even get a bears attention and a .410 will just piss him off. Bear spray and a clean camp is the way to go.
+1 and you won't get an invite to come back.
__________________
Old enough to know better....
Young enough to try it again
GS Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:36 AM   #25
H96669
A proud pragmatist.
 
H96669's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Hiding off Hwy 6, B.C.
Oddometer: 4,462
Lots of bears where I live. Sure the spray is around and so are other means I may sometimes leave by the door.

What I like best is the airhorn, if just to see them bears run away. Works well on all sorts of critters, including the neighbor's dogs and truckers on the jakes in front of my house at 06.00AM.

What's good about the airhorn is that you can clear the area even if you haven't seen any bears yet. And also in case you get in trouble, you can summon help with them. SOS is.... No worries I know what it is, loud enough at work...!

Personal defense with an airhorn??? Release that within a few inches of someone's face or ears.......they'll stop what they are doing.
__________________
Have tools, will travel!
H96669 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:40 AM   #26
GS Addict
Pepperfool
 
GS Addict's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Sunshine Coast B.C.
Oddometer: 3,627
Quote:
Originally Posted by H96669 View Post
Lots of bears where I live. Sure the spray is around and so are other means I may sometimes leave by the door.

What I like best is the airhorn, if just to see them bears run away. Works well on all sorts of critters, including the neighbor's dogs and truckers on the jakes in front of my house at 06.00AM.

What's good about the airhorn is that you can clear the area even if you haven't seen any bears yet. And also in case you get in trouble, you can summon help with them. SOS is.... No worries I know what it is, loud enough at work...!

Personal defense with an airhorn??? Release that within a few inches of someone's face or ears.......they'll stop what they are doing.
Great idea! thanks
__________________
Old enough to know better....
Young enough to try it again
GS Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:49 AM   #27
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur
 
High Country Herb's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Western Sierras
Oddometer: 7,538
Defensive Spray and Bear Spray are pretty much the same thing, the only difference is the label. In Canada, the label must say "Bear Spray" to be legal. The cans meant for humans are not.

Statistically, the spray works better than a gun. Some of that may be due to poor shot placement by gun owners, but a .44 mag does not always penetrate a bear's fat layer. Those bears are tough, but even they don't like the sensation on the pepper spray.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:02 PM   #28
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Oddometer: 5,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmuncher View Post
Don't bring a gun, you'll have to donate it to the government and go home. I know big game hunters can bring in a rifle, but the storage regulations here would make it impossible to do it on a bike. Besides, a .22 won't even get a bears attention and a .410 will just piss him off. Bear spray and a clean camp is the way to go.
any long gun I bring will be legally brought into Canada with all the paperwork. that .22 hornet is packing magnum level energy.

.410 with a 240 grain slug packs serious punch ...
but big ole can of bear spray is what's most practical.
_cy_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 04:41 AM   #29
billdonna
Ex Coelis
 
billdonna's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Niagara, Canada
Oddometer: 973
Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
thanks ... was thinking of bringing into Canada, Springfield Armory M6 Scout .22 Hornet/.410 .. packs real small.

.22 Hornet shells are custom loaded to produce 650+ ft lb energy. same for .410 shells, custom sized barrel loaded to 1250+ ft lb range.

a big ole can of bear spray purchased in Canada seems to be the best choice.
As a gunsmith who lived in the north, I can say with confidence that you are bringing a knife to a gunfight. Muzzle energy levels are NOT anywhere near adequate for griz . Don't kid yourself, take the good advice on sprays or horns. Just sayin'
__________________
I do not intend to tiptoe through life, only to arrive safely at death
billdonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:40 AM   #30
Spirit_Rider
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Spirit_Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Boring state of Illinois
Oddometer: 226
Spirit_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014