Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2013, 12:31 AM   #1651
geniuskidzz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
is it true this thing use the same engine as CBR250R?
does that means i could use the same gearing as CBR250R? since i didnt do much dirt, i only need a small displacement bike capable of 120km/h cruising with mostly asphalt and plotholes ( although half of our asphalt in indonesian is more like gravels... ). The only reason im looking for DS bike is front suspension travel for those plotholes..
oh and anybody fit aluminium side pannier on this thing? will the subframe hold? oh btw my aluminium side panniers is small one, same size as givi e-21, just a little bit taller and longer, but same witdh. is just im using Shad 48 top panniers that concern me

thanks

geniuskidzz screwed with this post 04-06-2013 at 12:38 AM
geniuskidzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:49 AM   #1652
roundtripping
Adventourist

Oddometer: 1,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by geniuskidzz View Post
is it true this thing use the same engine as CBR250R?
does that means i could use the same gearing as CBR250R? since i didnt do much dirt, i only need a small displacement bike capable of 120km/h cruising with mostly asphalt and plotholes ( although half of our asphalt in indonesian is more like gravels... ). The only reason im looking for DS bike is front suspension travel for those plotholes..
oh and anybody fit aluminium side pannier on this thing? will the subframe hold? oh btw my aluminium side panniers is small one, same size as givi e-21, just a little bit taller and longer, but same witdh. is just im using Shad 48 top panniers that concern me

thanks
You don't need to make any modifications to the bike to reach 120 kmh unless you weigh a lot in which case it may take you a minute to get there.

My SPOT Tracker
roundtripping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 02:59 AM   #1653
geniuskidzz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by roundtripping View Post
You don't need to make any modifications to the bike to reach 120 kmh unless you weigh a lot in which case it may take you a minute to get there.
i only weight 80 Kg.. its not a lot by most people standar right?

ok im seriously considering this thing over versys.. i like versys but that thing too heavy and got much power i possibly didnt need.

oh btw i heard this thing could put 200 watt output? is it true or its using modified regulator and coil?

this thing cost around 91 Milliond IDR here in indonesia ( on the road ), which is about US$ 9387 ( its imported from thailand. Indonesian Honda Main dealer network sucks, and they ( honda) only got one dealer network here )
. if i could save a bit more that will help a lot

if the engine could do 200 watt in stock, all theres left is CRF450x fairing and small tower, dual HID hi-lo with projector, and new wheel and tyres set ( gonna replace those thing with either cast or air-tight-sealed spokes and go tubeless - lots of small spikes here in indonesia, from small nail for wooden board to those big-ass 1" screw used in cross top support )

oh btw i'm not gonna do that all myself didnt had the tools and the room to do that. Gonna sourced it to other people..
the fairing gonna cost me US$ 200, the structure and tower about US$ 150, i already got small 7" china made waterproof gps for US$ 200, last time i ask ( about last month) a 2.5" hi-lo projector with 55 watt 3000K HID will costme US$ 200, times to means US$ 400.
airtight rims ( taiwan made, custom built to airtight) cost me US$ 450 ( but that for F 17" and R 17" - i asked if they got 19" one, they still did't reply me yet)
probably Michellin Siracs or Pirelli Scorpion trail will do the job - or if i decide i'm going 17-17 i'll go with battlax
geniuskidzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:34 AM   #1654
Lapchik
Tinkeritis posterboy

Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by geniuskidzz View Post
i only weight 80 Kg.. its not a lot by most people standar right?

ok im seriously considering this thing over versys.. i like versys but that thing too heavy and got much power i possibly didnt need.
I owned a Versys, and it is a full on street bike. It does have a little suspension travel, but it's not enough. I did about 5000 miles of gravel roads on it. Gravel roads around here are very smooth, though. Pot holes and off road adventures will break rims on a Versys, unless you get excell spoked rims for it.
Lapchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:43 PM   #1655
zoldar
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Had a great ride in the NC mountains yesterday.

zoldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:16 AM   #1656
positron007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bake View Post
Bill is buying one of the CRF250L and tearing the engine down. He wishes to build the biggest big bore kit it will take.
Something like his KLX351 kit.
We will stay in touch here.
Any update on this?
I reckon 300cc would be enough.
positron007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:21 PM   #1657
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by positron007 View Post
Any update on this?
http://www.rickramsey.net/CRF250Lbigbore.htm

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf
SAPB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:19 PM   #1658
Turk
'Bab Man

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEROST View Post
It appears the rear shock is preload adjustable, but the adjustment collar is hard to get to without removing parts.
Anybody adjusted the preload? Can it be done without removing parts and does it make a noteable difference?
Turk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:37 AM   #1659
Bake
adventurer

Oddometer: 10,514
Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by positron007 View Post
Any update on this?
Bill asked me to spread the word that his CRF250L big bore kits are ready. 283cc and 305cc. He has worked closely with Dobeck to make a fuel controller that provides proper mixture.

Please call Bill Blue at 316-640-3629 for the details, or his email is

b_jblue@sbcglobal.net

He is in Colorado until the 19th, testing the bikes.
I might add he has run the test mule CRF over
145 times on the dyno. Honda has one tough engine on this bike!

Thanks,
Bake

Bake screwed with this post 05-14-2013 at 07:31 AM
Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:47 PM   #1660
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Ford View Post
not quite...cheaper LABOR! Japanese, european and american labor is $20/hr and up....Korea is in the $2 range....Thailand is cheaper than China....down below Korea....maybe below $1/hr.....

So,yes quite!....it is / was cheeper for Honda to produce this bike in Thailand.
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:35 AM   #1661
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by frog13 View Post
So,yes quite!....it is / was cheeper for Honda to produce this bike in Thailand.
I now am an owner....love the bike...only quality issue is they love to overtighten the daylights out of everything...fit and finish is well above my '09 KLR 650 which is also Thai....the klr developed lots of issues related to rotting rubber bits...the other nice thing is the factory replacement parts are similarly inexpensive
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:13 AM   #1662
p0diabl0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 522
Just want to point out that according to this wiki page the minimum wage in S. Korea is $4.31 US an hour, not $2, and I would be surprised if their auto/motorcycle industry workers made minimum wage. South Korea is hardly third world and Hyundai at the least is right on the heals of Honda/Toyota in the car industry.

It's too bad their motorcycles are junk so far (Hyosung)
p0diabl0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:16 AM   #1663
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by p0diabl0 View Post
Just want to point out that according to this wiki page the minimum wage in S. Korea is $4.31 US an hour, not $2, and I would be surprised if their auto/motorcycle industry workers made minimum wage. South Korea is hardly third world and Hyundai at the least is right on the heals of Honda/Toyota in the car industry.

It's too bad their motorcycles are junk so far (Hyosung)
I stand corrected! Very nice connection to wage rates. Been looking at KIA suv's to replace my rotting F150....oddly...the Kia Sorento assembled in the usa...at least 50% NA content is = or cheaper than their sportage which is assembled in Korea....of course there is wide disparities in package content...but still it is refreshing that offshore brands made in north america are competitively priced....and Hyundai/Kia have their engine/powertrain research center 25 miles from Detroit!
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:37 AM   #1664
dmaxmike
former quadtard.

Oddometer: 750
saw my first CRF250L in real life out on the trail this weekend at the ANF. I was happy and sad. happy that it looks just as nice in person and much more substantial then it does it pictures. I can understand how it weighs so much now that I have seen one. I am sad because now that I have seen one I really want one, which I guess does not make me said but it makes my better half and my bank account sad.
dmaxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:08 PM   #1665
Semodirt
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Cost for valve adjustment

Has anyone gotten the recommended valve adjustment for their bike and if so what kind of cost ?
Semodirt is offline   Reply With Quote