Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2013, 09:04 AM   #766
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romanousky View Post
. I should have known after he mentioned BMW 1200 and was sitting next to me at a Starbucks.

That was a dead give-away. I'm sure he was trying to be nice, but you shouhld have known!
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:08 AM   #767
8lives
Runnin on wonder

Oddometer: 1,577
Ya THANKS for all the good times,glad you invited all of us along!
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:00 AM   #768
CaseyB
Adventually

Oddometer: 410
Quote:
Is this what you guys are looking for? I will have more opinions on the gear but everything I did to the bike worked well and most of it was probably overkill. Al did this whole trip with an almost completely stock bike.
I'm sure you've made many DRZ owners appreciative for taking the time out to write that.

I've had a set of HDB barkbusters and adv clamp, sitting in a box in my garage just staring at me. Glad they worked out well for you.

I look forward to hearing your opinions on gear

Regardless of all of that, why don't you tell the truth and let us in on how you got the dynamite back into the states
CaseyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:52 PM   #769
h2o_snow
Water, snow & dirt too.

Oddometer: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
I'm sure you've made many DRZ owners appreciative for taking the time out to write that.

I've had a set of HDB barkbusters and adv clamp, sitting in a box in my garage just staring at me. Glad they worked out well for you.

I look forward to hearing your opinions on gear

Regardless of all of that, why don't you tell the truth and let us in on how you got the dynamite back into the states
Yeah.............+1. Just finished this up after stumbling on the fan thread - ADV superstars! I was entertained - nice ride.

Since most of us like blowing things up - please continue on ....although I understand if Homeland Security restraints quell your pyrotechnic activity.

Door is open in potatoland.
Over the hills where the spirits fly,
I really don't know.
h2o_snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:13 AM   #770
bcs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Hope it's not a bad sign, the spot track stopped yesterday at a point that appears to be on I-5 in Medford, OR???
bcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:22 AM   #771
Ricky Chuck
Red Green Rulz!

Oddometer: 391
Yeah, that is still about 200 miles from Albany, on the other hand they disappeared into the jungle for a few days, too, and came out, maybe he found something cool to do?
Old 06-19-2013, 08:46 AM   #772
bcs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
I have noticed that the combined accuracy of the spot and the online mapping services can be quite high. For example, I tested my own spot from my backyard, and the satellite map in pact depicted the location at a point that was within 10 feet of the actual. And it notice that for the recent points on the spot track on his RR, the points show up right in the highway. Of course we don't know where he actually was, but the points seem highly accurate. So it looks odd that the last point was on the I-5, because the accuracy implies he really was on the I-5, and not on an adjacent property (motel, gas station, old girlfriend from college...).
bcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:01 AM   #773
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy7900 View Post
Just finished all 51 pages...Epic ride man thanks for taking us all along.

Now I know what I want to be when I grow up!
No problem. The best part is you really don't have to grow up to do it.
Romanousky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:05 AM   #774
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcs View Post
I have noticed that the combined accuracy of the spot and the online mapping services can be quite high. For example, I tested my own spot from my backyard, and the satellite map in pact depicted the location at a point that was within 10 feet of the actual. And it notice that for the recent points on the spot track on his RR, the points show up right in the highway. Of course we don't know where he actually was, but the points seem highly accurate. So it looks odd that the last point was on the I-5, because the accuracy implies he really was on the I-5, and not on an adjacent property (motel, gas station, old girlfriend from college...).
Yes, the spot can be accurate but the problem is that the data points are only sent after a certain time interval. Thus, a lot of the time we would arrive somewhere, shut it off, and the last point would be a mile behind us. As in this case, I just rolled into Ashland where Alex lives but I shut it down before it could send another data point. Anyway, safe & sound and working on a resume.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:19 AM   #775
Ricky Chuck
Red Green Rulz!

Oddometer: 391
About time! I wan't having any luck finding accident reports along I-5 involving DRZ bikes and dynamite, lol
Old 06-19-2013, 10:27 AM   #776
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

I wrote my riding areas but it is pretty boring. So I will just post pics and then we'll get back to the gear.

Mono Lake:

Then onto 89 headed for Tahoe....fun road:

Lost Leaf Lake:

Made a loop around Tahoe:

An idiot drove off the road:

Left Tahoe and took a detour to check out the Donner Pass Park:

Almanor Reservoir:

Then shot over to the coast. Passed through Red Bluff where it was well over 100-degrees.

Out of Redding and up passed Whiskeytown:

Over to Eureka for an all you can eat breakfast at the Samoa Cookhouse:

Yes, I had to do this:

Scenic detour on the way back south....these trees were on the large side of things:

Leaving the coastline I headed over Bald Hills Road, then to Happy Camp, then up Gray Back road and into Oregon.

And finally after 10 days and 2,200 miles of California they are reunited:

Old 06-19-2013, 10:31 AM   #777
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Chuck View Post
About time! I wan't having any luck finding accident reports along I-5 involving DRZ bikes and dynamite, lol
Jeeeeeeez guys! Enough with the D-word already

I'm going to have spooks crawling into every facet of my life when I get home
Old 06-19-2013, 10:34 AM   #778
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

I am going to continue to ride around my homestate (with the spot tracker off as to not alert anyone of my whereabouts) to take in all the beauty and beer that Oregon has to offer but this is where I will end the ride report. I will however be posting riding gear reviews as well as some tips and tricks that did or did not work. Thank you all for following along and giving me inspiration to keep up on this thing. The ride reports are tough work out in the field and I commend all of you that have shared your stories with the rest of us. Until next time, Audios.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:50 AM   #779
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,646
Thanks for the report. It was entertaining! I also understand the difficulties and work required to post one. It was appreciated I'm sure by many.
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:52 AM   #780
Creeker747
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
A Job Well Done!

Quote:
I am going to continue to ride around my homestate (with the spot tracker off as to not alert anyone of my whereabouts) to take in all the beauty and beer that Oregon has to offer but this is where I will end the ride report. I will however be posting riding gear reviews as well as some tips and tricks that did or did not work. Thank you all for following along and giving me inspiration to keep up on this thing. The ride reports are tough work out in the field and I commend all of you that have shared your stories with the rest of us. Until next time, Audios.
Nice work, and I wish you luck in your future endevours.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"
Creeker747 is offline   Reply With Quote