ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2013, 09:10 AM   #3376
Factory Phil
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR4EVER View Post
You mean how they turned it into a highway? It made me sick when I saw that last summer. Now they had to gate off sections because of overuse... Did they really not see that coming?
My wife talks about how the Boy Scouts would hike in from Big Creek every year to go fishing when she was a kid, in part because it was easier to hike in than drive.
I came down the trail I think you are referring to that crosses over Elf Creek (Dot Creek trail #111? The one with all of the big "speed bumps"?) last summer and had to wait for a convoy of motorhomes and enclosed trailers to pass by before I could get on Big Creek Rd.
We camped up there last summer. Last time we were there was the mid 90's and it has changed drastically since then. We had a group of Jeepers asking us to petition the FS to open the roads back up. We were like WTF, most every road up there was big enough for a jeep.

We made a loop from camp to Wardner, gassed up in town and back up the creek road. That was long day!!!
Factory Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:43 AM   #3377
XR4EVER
919 excuses to ride!

Oddometer: 1,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrStrangeride View Post
Do you a way to obtain ALL of the *.kmz files for trails in the CDA and St. Joe NFs? TIA.
I don't.
I don't have a GPS that is capable of such a thing, but apparently they exist. I watched the tutorial video about how to use that site, and it is pretty amazing. You can click on the routes you want to take (make them green) and click on "Export to Google" in the upper right, and it will save it to your computer (or export directly to your GPS). Then you can open the file and it shows up on Google Earth just like it does on the "hybrid" map. I guess you could click on every trail in the area and import them all to GE if you want a master map. Without a GPS to import the maps, it doesn't do me much good. Do you have a decent GPS?

I usually study both the trail maps and Google Earth and print out any intersections that I think will be difficult (to take with me). I also jot down GPS coordinates at those intersections to cross-check with my POS GPS to make sure I am at the right spot. Old school *by today's standards*, but it works for the most part.

XR4EVER screwed with this post 06-14-2013 at 12:28 PM
XR4EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 02:03 PM   #3378
WU7X
The Old Fart

Oddometer: 1,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by jengel451 View Post
Hey all,

I was thinking of riding from Hayden over to Whitefish MT next week, by way of Fire roads etc and was hoping to get some local feedback on my proposed route.

Take a look and let me know thoughts, and if you have any other more interesting stuff. Now remember, 800GS, no Goat trails. ;)

http://goo.gl/maps/xFxow
I wish I could help you with some advice. But can't other than to say that I sure wish I was going with you on that ride. Have fun!
"
Adventure is worthwhile." ~ Aristotle
Airhead #14449
WU7X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 04:44 PM   #3379
DrStrangeride
Let them Eat Roost

Oddometer: 136
Thanks XR I do not have a GPS, but I usually carry a NFS/benchmark map. I figured-out how to download paths (trips) like you described. Pretty nice for planning and enables me to send *.kmz files to others prior to the ride. I requested all of the trails from the webmaster. We'll se what happens and will keep you posted. Again, thanks.

BTW new chain and sprocket just delivered as I type this. Looks like it may be a good fathers day after all.

Quote:
I don't.
I don't have a GPS that is capable of such a thing, but apparently they exist. I watched the tutorial video about how to use that site, and it is pretty amazing. You can click on the routes you want to take (make them green) and click on "Export to Google" in the upper right, and it will save it to your computer (or export directly to your GPS). Then you can open the file and it shows up on Google Earth just like it does on the "hybrid" map. I guess you could click on every trail in the area and import them all to GE if you want a master map. Without a GPS to import the maps, it doesn't do me much good. Do you have a decent GPS?

I usually study both the trail maps and Google Earth and print out any intersections that I think will be difficult (to take with me). I also jot down GPS coordinates at those intersections to cross-check with my POS GPS to make sure I am at the right spot. Old school *by today's standards*, but it works for the most part.
DrStrangeride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:42 AM   #3380
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,798
DrStrangeRide, it sure is good to see you posting again. I hope I get to see you in real life sometime this season. You need to show me how to get from 4th of July to Harrison via dirt again. I sort of remember part of the route but not all of it.

If all goes as planned I will be headed to Enterprise today to start enjoying the Hells Canyon area early. If there is anyone in this thread that doesn't know what I'm talking about it's this: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=843668 Come join us, we have a lot of fun.

Thanks to AlphaOneNine for helping me get things loaded last night. I thought I had things together pretty well but one thing after another went wrong and if it weren't for him I would have been struggling trying to get my act together for about three more days. Thanks Rick!!!!!

At times like this I remember why ADV is special. Because of this forum I have met some incredible people and have gained some very wonderful friends.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:52 AM   #3381
WU7X
The Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048 View Post
If all goes as planned I will be headed to Enterprise today to start enjoying the Hells Canyon area early. If there is anyone in this thread that doesn't know what I'm talking about it's this: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=843668 Come join us, we have a lot of fun.

At times like this I remember why ADV is special. Because of this forum I have met some incredible people and have gained some very wonderful friends.
Have a great time LB! And say hello to all for me. We're headed off toward San Jose for a wedding so I have to miss Hell's Canyon once again. Sure would have been fun to ride down in the hack.
"
Airhead #14449
Old 06-15-2013, 01:42 PM   #3382
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,798
Thanks Dale, I'll work on having a good time.

You have fun at that wedding.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 12:26 AM   #3383
WU7X
The Old Fart

Went visiting some dealers in Seattle with my son today. found a bike I'd love to buy; a NOS 2010 1050 Tiger, 200 miles, at a great price. Now I just have to find something to sell so I can buy it.
"
Airhead #14449
Old 06-16-2013, 01:00 AM   #3384
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 1,857
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjunky View Post
So if a guy wanted to take dirt from Spokane to the St John Endicott area is there stuff that can be linked up? Thinking about taking the klx to the boat races and would like to keep the little bike off highway.

I know dirt up north but haven't ventured offroad south much.
Sorry I saw this too late. I live in St John and have often wondered if I could make it to Spokane on mostly dirt. It's damn difficult once you get near Spokane. The closest routes that I have found Can get you to Cheney or Spangle with only a few miles of pavement but it's real hit and miss after that.

Now if you could include lesser traveled 2 lane blacktop I could give you a dozen different routes to get from here to there.

Another boat race in August I believe ( I usually leave town when it gets crazy around here so I don't pay much attention, sorry) So if you want routes for next time just send me a PM
Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:09 PM   #3385
XR4EVER
919 excuses to ride!

Oddometer: 1,083
This is not how you want to see your wife and mother of your children:

That was a still shot from the video below. My wife and I dumped the kids at Grandma's and went riding up around Graham Mt yesterday. She was having a bad day up to this point, and I can't say it got much better after this. We left from Smelterville and headed due north, eventually linking up with trail #17 (Graham Ridge) and turning down #41 (Coal Creek) to do some trail clearing. She was having a horrible time with her bike; it was running really rich and was stumbling at lower RPMs, and I didn't have the right tools with me to mess with it. It was making the technical sections (which are normally difficult on her high-strung 250F) nearly impossible, especially at higher elevations.

We eventually made it to and cleared Coal Creek trail after cutting more downfall than riding, and we made it down to the CDA River Road. Our plan was to go a mile and a half up the road to Graham Creek (trail #33) and cut until I ran out of saw gas, then go back to Coal Creek for our return trip. This would give the hikers we passed more time to come back down the mountain.

The saw stopped about half way up Graham Creek trail, so we got our bikes turned around on the cliff edge and decided to see how far we could make it up trail #18 (Graham Coal Connect) that is a bit of a "shortcut" to Coal Creek. About a mile up the trail was washed out, and this happened when Susan tagged the rock on the high side:

She is pretty banged up after doing a belly flop on the rocks and has a deep gash in her helmet. She has a scraped up neck, a bruise on her collarbone, a giant bruise on her inner thigh and a big lump on her shin. I think her pride was hurt more than anything.

Then about a half hour after this, we were almost back to the road when a hidden sawed-off tree caught the bottom corner of her right radiator (the expensive one, of course). This peeled it away from the mount and caused a fairly significant leak. We decided to take the road back at least to the Snakepit so I could ride back and get the truck. I filled my camelback with river water and stopped every mile or so to top off her radiator. Silly water-cooled bikes! When will they learn?!

I think she is ultimately convinced that an unmodified MX bike has no place in the woods. She is finally ready to trade up to a '13 KTM 200 XCW! Now if we could only hit that Powerball....

On a positive note, Trail 41 is now open!

XR4EVER screwed with this post 06-18-2013 at 11:45 AM
XR4EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:53 PM   #3386
Kootenai Rider
Displaced Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,263
Wow, bad day for Radiators...

My buddy Dylan and Andrew went for a ride up Hells Canyon then out Barney Creek since I was too hungover to ride our planned Wallace ride I mentioned a few posts up.

Andrew, who is a really good rider, managed to completely bash in one radiator going up Hells Canyon (before "the rock") though it wasnt' leaking so they kept going. Later, he realized that his Trailtech mount broke and the computer was just dangling there.....

And then even later, washed out his front end which completely took out one of his barkbusters.

Seems like he managed to destroy something else too....

2012 KTM 250XC-W "Ginger"
Kootenai Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:49 PM   #3387
Valleyrider
I Survived The '60s

Oddometer: 1,851
Quote:
This is not how you want to see your wife and mother of your children:

WOW!! Glad she didn't get injured any worse.
She's one tough woman!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/48000856@N06/
Valleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:39 PM   #3388
MotoNerd
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Local Gatherings

Hey All,

I am interested to see if there is a local gathering spot that many adventure riders seem to flock to! Anyone know about evening rides that groups go on? Maybe an average length ride in the evening before a group dinner!? If no one knows of any, maybe we should start something!! Post if you have any ideas, or know of any!
MotoNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:52 PM   #3389
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoNerd View Post
Maybe an average length ride in the evening before a group dinner!? If no one knows of any, maybe we should start something!!
Good idea, you're it.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:56 PM   #3390
Alpha One Nine
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
Hi MotoNerd, a few of us do get together from time to time but there is no official weekly meet up or anything like that.

There is a big regional ADV gathering this weekend in Enterprise Oregon.
2005 KLR650 - The KLR
2010 R1200RT - The Ultimate Touring Machine
Alpha One Nine is offline   Reply With Quote