Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Asia Pacific
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2009, 03:15 AM   #1
Muleboy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Where to get a Carnet de Passage in India?

I am looking for a little help. I have been living in India for about 9 months and finally have bought a new Royal Enfield. It took over a month just to get it registered in my name but I got it done and received it on Christmas day.
My plan now is when I am done working here I plan on riding it back to the US somehow. Not sure if I will go East or West but either way I need to get a carnet. I have been searching and have not found where I can get one in Mumbai. If anyone could help with some info it would be appreciated.
Muleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 04:42 AM   #2
werewasi

Oddometer: n/a
Go to www.atacarnet.com and all the information is there. People usually
get carnets because they DO know where they're going and realise that the countries they are transiting require them.
You will have to post a bond or surety to cover the amount that any country will impose (and recover from the carnet issuier) if you default on exiting a country with the vehicle (or do so incorrectly) so you'd better have your finances organised. Depending on the value of the vehicle there can be serious money involved.
Old 12-31-2009, 08:29 PM   #3
CourtFisher
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 399
No, www.atacarnet.com is for business-related goods.

A Carnet for personally-owned motor vehicles is issued by an AIT-affiliated national automobile association.

In Mumbai, try here first
http://www.wiaaindia.com/contact.asp
Western India Automobile Association

Lalji Naranji Memorial Bldg.,
76, Veer Nariman Road,
Churchgate,
MUMBAI - 400 020.

Telephone: 2204 1085, 2288 0407, 2204 7032, 2204 1271.

After Office Hours: 2204 1085 Fax: 2204 1382

Email :
wiaaindia@rediffmail.com

If they don't issue Carnets, they should be able to tell you does.
CourtFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 01:24 PM   #4
Thesecondthird
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
I've got a feeling it is going to work out cheaper to buy a bike in the US. Should at least cost you more than you paid for the bike to get it shipped and registered here.
Thesecondthird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 10:45 PM   #5
Muleboy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I am not planning on shipping the bike I plan on riding it so overall it is going to cost a lot more than just buying one in the states.
I have put looking for where to get the carnet on the back burner but if anyone else has any info it would help.
Old 03-25-2010, 01:15 AM   #6
merchantali
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Gettin A Carnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muleboy
I am looking for a little help. I have been living in India for about 9 months and finally have bought a new Royal Enfield. It took over a month just to get it registered in my name but I got it done and received it on Christmas day.
My plan now is when I am done working here I plan on riding it back to the US somehow. Not sure if I will go East or West but either way I need to get a carnet. I have been searching and have not found where I can get one in Mumbai. If anyone could help with some info it would be appreciated.
You can contact a Shipping & Logistics company named Sadikally Esoofally & Co. at Mumbai, you can look them up online, i guess their web address is www.indiamart.com/secoshipping/services.html ; they are aware of all formalities related to carnet.

They can get you a carnet, arrange for shipping, arrange for customs clearance and if you plan to ride all the way, they could help you ship the bike on your way back !!! Cheers !! My friend shipped his car though them and he said it was recommended !!
merchantali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 08:26 AM   #7
afrobius
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Getting a Carnet de Passage in India

I'm Frank and I'm new here :)
So a big HALLLLLOOO to everybody.

I also need a Carnet de Passage for my Enfield, which I just bought in India. I want to ride home from India to Germany in Juli/August by crossing Pakistan and Iran.

The company address in Mumbay sounds very good but I'm just near Jaipur.
Does somebody know if it is possible to get a Carnet in or around Delhi?
@Muleboy: How you manage to register the bike on your name?
Did you get a Carnet? When yes, where?
And did you start the trip direction home?

Thanks for the help
afrobius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 03:03 AM   #8
Muleboy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Getting the bike registered in my name was a long process. Thankfully the dealer did all of the work for me. The biggest problem was not having a permanent address. At the time I had been living in a hotel for almost a year and the registration office did not want to accept that address although they finally caved.
I have not got the carnet yet as I have put that on the back burner for a little while. It looks like I will be here until March or so therefore I have some time on my side.
Old 06-04-2010, 03:35 AM   #9
merchantali
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Get a Carnet in India

The first thing you have to worry is getting the bike registered to your name, if you dont have the registration papers on your name, you cant get a carnet.

Also once you get back home and finished your trip... how will you discharge your carnet deposit ???? you are going to keep the bike there right..... contact ADAC in germany and confirm a solution to that too.

Once these two things are sorted you will be through the major barriers
merchantali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:32 AM   #10
momo034
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Muleboy....perhaps you can help me...

I would love to hear how this turned out Muleboy. I am arriving in India next month and also plan to buy an Enfield and drive it to Europe then ship to the US. My first hurdle is getting it in my own name, Im assuming you had some sort of residency in India? I am on a 10 year tourist visa so not even sure if I can put it in my name. How was this for you? Any thoughts on how/if I can do this?

Assuming I can I would also like to hear how the rest turned out for you...the Carnet de Passage and how you got it back to the US.

I would really, really appreciate you help as there is not much resources out there.

Hope for your sake you got it back there and hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks

-Jordan

momo034 screwed with this post 11-06-2013 at 11:21 PM
momo034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:27 AM   #11
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,823
Not done this buying thing in India, but it is my understanding, that for foreigners, it is a very big problem to get a carnet for bikes bought in India. That is why it is actually recommended to go to Nepal. Ive seen several threads about this at horizonsunlimited.com.
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:17 PM   #12
Witold
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post
Not done this buying thing in India, but it is my understanding, that for foreigners, it is a very big problem to get a carnet for bikes bought in India. That is why it is actually recommended to go to Nepal. Ive seen several threads about this at horizonsunlimited.com.
For foreigners, it's a big deal to even buy a new bike and register it in their name in India. It's a shame that we are stuck having to buy used in Karol Bagh instead of being able to go to a dealer and buy new.

I've seen some places that supposedly get it all done for you for a price so you can export your Enfield. Not sure how they do it. As mentioned above, Nepal is supposed to be easier, but more expensive.
Witold is offline   Reply With Quote